“Convenient location and very nice room”

Residence Inn Austin South
Ranked #93 of 202 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Stillwater, Minnesota
“Convenient location and very nice room”
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We spent a long weekend in Austin for a wedding and had some extra time to check out the city. The hotel location is great! It is very close to all the restaurants and nightclubs plus it's just a few blocks from the river with walking areas. We could easily walk to these locations. The rooms are nicely decorated/totally up to date and we appreciated having space to spread out. It is great to have a separate sitting area, kitchen and bedroom.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 15 August 2010

The hotel is very clean and well maintained. I enjoyed my stay here. The extras were exactly what I needed to make for a pleasent stay. I liked that the I could print out my flight boarding pass quickly, and that the breakfast was just what I needed to start my day. I was surprised by the food available in the evening, it was more than enough to suffice as my main meal of the day. Thanks.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 9 July 2010

I stayed here 2 weeks for business. I can't say enough good things. The staff here treated me like a long lost friend and went out of their way to make my stay comfortable. I've never had staff at a hotel tell me hello and ask if I had a good day when I came in every evening. I experienced no problems and this was one of the cleanest rooms I have stayed in (and I check my rooms carefully). The kitchen area/refridgerator were spotless as was the bathroom. The bed was comfortable and the seperate sitting area.

While the pool area is small, its is well stocked with towels and chairs. It even has a grill if you want to grill out. The happy hour is well stocked and the "snacks" could make a dinner for most.

Thank you Daniel, Shawn, Jennifer and the entire staff who made my stay great.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
PHX
Reviewed 3 July 2010

The place is old, dirty and unkempt. The beds are uncomfortable due to the old mattresses. The internet connection is a joke. My room smelled of smoke. A colleague's room smelt of dog urine. This is not the place for business travelers.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
RyanPlain, General Manager at Residence Inn Austin South, responded to this review, 26 July 2010
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment about our hotel. We are so sorry for the issue you experienced while staying with us. We take pride in ourselves on being the cleanest and friendliest hotel, but in this instance it appears we failed to live up to our mission. Please know we work very hard to ensure every guest room is 100% clean and inspected before guest arrival.

I personally want to apologize for this issue and ensure you it will not happen again in the future. If you are ever back in Austin I invite you back to give us another try. I will make sure your stay is perfect.

Ryan Plain
Sacramento Valley
Reviewed 21 June 2010

May 2010. We had the opportunity to spend one night at the Residence Inn, Austin South when we were in the area. The hotel is located in a Marriott Oasis, next to a Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, Spring Hill Suites, and Marriott FSP on a frontage road next to the freeway. It is not near the airport therefore you do not hear any air traffic but the freeway is on one side so you might want to ask for a room on the quiet side. There is plenty of free parking in the parking structure around the hotel.

The frontage road and turnarounds take a bit to get use to. I would not say this property is the easiest to get into.

Check-in was delayed to many early check ins, so we drove to County Line BBQ on the Hill for lunch. On our return we received one bedroom suite. This property is one big box Marriotts and similar to properties we stayed in at Houston University West and Alamo Square on this trip.

Our front desk person was a local person and was friendly and attentive. My room, was very comfortable and standard big box residence inn decorated.. The bed was comfortable. The room was quiet too. Lighting in the room was good with lamps on both sides of the bed, on the desk, and a floor lamp. The work desk was small and their was office-style chair. Smaller Residence Suite and a bit dated but clean.

The TV was had a lot of cable channels as well as a wide selection of pay-per-view movies.
The bathroom was clean. Lighting was good, the towels were plentiful, and the shower worked well – immediate hot water with plenty of pressure. Bath amenities include shampoo, conditioner, lotion.
The hotel public areas were clean and well-kept, but could use an updating to the style of the rooms.
The hotel has a small swimming pool and hydrotherapy spa. Sliding doors open onto a patio with additional lounge chairs. Next to, and with windows looking onto the pool, is a very complete exercise room.

Breakfast was your standard Residence Inn fare and I'd say it slightly better than average.

I recommend this property if your looking for reasonable accomodations and have a car.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank SeminarTrekker
Denton, Tx
Reviewed 14 June 2010

This was our second time to stay at this property and it has now become our second home when we come down for the ROT Rally. Daniel and his staff take the word 'guest' to a high level and successfully make you feel welcomed and comfortable, greeting you by name with a smile as you come and go. The ice maker in our full-size refrigerator was not working, and when they were unable to repair it during our visit, Daniel personally filled up the freezer's ice bucket from the large commercial ice maker, and added complimentary ice cream bars with a note of apology for good measure. The ice cream was a surprising and great treat after a day of sight-seeing. The extensive, self-service breakfast buffet should satisfy any and every dietary need and taste, with everything kept fresh, tidy, and well-stocked throughout the breakfast period. Incredible value for the price!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Penfield
Reviewed 14 February 2010

Just returned from stay at Residence Inn South. Can't say enough good things about the hotle and especially the staff. GM Miguel and front end manager Daniel could not have been more accomodating. They really made our stay special.The hotel is nicely located, well maintained, roomy and comfortable. The breakfast and manager's reception were like icing on the cake. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to visit Austin. Only four miles to downtown but away from the hectic pace.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple