“Nice Hotel if the Price is Right” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #50 of 197 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“Nice Hotel if the Price is Right”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We travel to Austin a few times a year and always enjoy staying downtown to be near nightlife and dining. We have stayed at several hotels on 4th and 5th streets, but this was the first time for us to stay at this Hilton Garden Inn. It is about 2 blocks further out, but still easily walkable, given we found a very good price on the hotel and knew that it was still in a good location. The hotel is also very convenient to the convention center.

Knowing that the hotel does not have a self park option, and the fact that their valet is $26 per night we choose to use the convenient city garage for $11 per 24 hours. The city garage is about a block away. The hotel located at the end of 4th street on I-35.The lobby is in great condition and the staff was very welcoming. The first room they assigned us to was facing the freeway, so we asked for another room facing downtown, as we knew that this would be noisy. Since I am a diamond HHonors member, and they were not very full, they upgraded us to a lovely 1 bedroom suite with a separate living room and kitchenette, and large whirlpool.

On the first floor is a small business center with two PC's, a copier, printer, etc. There is also a small outdoor swimming pool with a water fall and a medium sized fitness center. The ground level lobby is small but does have some comfortable seating. There is another lobby and sitting area on the 10th floor. The elevators are secured, requiring keycard access, which is always nice.

The restaurant and bar is located on the top floor and has a wonderful view of downtown Austin. As with most Hilton Garden Inn’s breakfast was very well done and the staff was very friendly. The breakfast was free for us as Diamond HHonors members, and something like $12 for others. This is a fair value for the price.

The first room we had was a typical King room with a nice work desk, ergonomic chair, sleep number bed, (I am not a fan of the sleep number, but thats a different conversation), some have a sleeper sofa. The rooms have nice HDTV’s. All rooms have a microwave and refrigerator and a comfortable climate control system. The AC blower can be left on for white noise. The rooms were spotless, smelled fresh and had nice pillows. (Both foam and feather). The curtains do an nice job of blocking out light.

The area has every type of dining and entertainment option you could ask for all within easy walking distance. We would absolutely recommend this location and would stay here again if we wanted to stay in the area for a personal trip. Room rate seemed appropriate for the area, especially with our corporate discount. Having also stayed at the nearby Hilton, Residence Inn, Courtyard, and Intercontinental hotels in the past, I would feel comfortable choosing any of these hotels based on who has the best price at the time. All of these are very nice options and similar in their offerings and the prices seem to vary wildly from day to day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing AWAY from the freeway.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear pcsanity,

I am excited that you selected our hotel for your stay and appreciate your loyalty as a Diamond Member with our Hilton Family. This year is a great year for us as we are improving our products and services each and every day so you will remain loyal and stay with us each time you visit Austin, TX. Thank you again for your business and I look foward to seeing you in the future.

Blake Doran

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Shelby Township, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Stayed here for a convention of sorts with friends. It is really close to the main street area of Austin and the price was decent but I wasn't "wowed" by it in any way. Food in the restaurant was decent but much better places to go out in and around Austin.

Pool area was tiny. This didn't bother us much because we weren't there for that but get one or two family's with children in there and its overcrowded and noisy. The convention room we had been given at first had no air. They moved us to a different one but it took a day or so to do it.

Front desk people were nice, rooms were on the smaller side. I would stay here again but only if I couldn't find somewhere else to try first, just to see if other hotels are better.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Anthony A,

Thank you for your business and I sincerely apologize for the HVAC not working properly during your convention. The HVAC issue was resolved and can assure you that we will do whatever it takes to make it right for you and your colleagues. Before you visit other properties in the market, I would love the opporutnity to "WOW" you with your future reservation and provide extra amenities for your stay. Thank you again and I look foward to hearing from you!

Flagstaff, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We were pleased but not wow'ed by our stay. Our room was large and very nice, but not extravagant. We loved our view of the Capitol and downtown from the 17th floor. Ask for a west facing top floor room! We like to walk and the location offered us access to Town Lake, Historic 6th Street, South Congress and the Capitol Bldg all less than 2 miles away. We loved that we didn't need a car. Overnight parking was $27/night so we were extra glad we didn't need a car. Breakfast on the top floor was a nice touch and had a great view of downtown Austin. The front desk seemed understaffed (very long hold when we called to confirm reservation, very slow check-in, called down for silverware and never got it, slow check-out) The front desk staff were all very friendly and apologetic though. Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed February 2012
Dear Kzw2,

We appreciate your business and honest feedback provided to help us improve our products and servcies for you. Your loyalty means everything to us and I guarentee we will make the necessary changes to improve our front office operation to speed things up for you. If there is ever anything that I can do for you or your family and any special requests before your next visit with us, please let me know at anytime. Thank you again and I look foward to providing excellent service to you in the future.

Llano, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We had tickets to "Wicked" and decided to get a room at the last minute so we wouldn't have to drive home late. Got a great deal on this hotel through Hotwire, and really lucked out. We were thrilled with our stay, and the location can't be beat. It is right on IH35, between 6th and 7th streets, and an ideal place to stay if you are planning to party downtown. We were afraid we would get stuck in the basement since we had a Hotwire rate, but we received a nice room facing the atrium so it was very quiet. I couldn't believe it when I woke up at 8 am - late wake up time for me, but it was that quiet. AND, this was on a Friday night. Room was adequate size for us, nice comfy bed, everything we needed. We ate breakfast on the 16th floor and the view from up there is amazing - Wow! Worth the extra cost for the breakfast - cook to order eggs and fresh fruit, not the usual stale continental fare. The only reason I gave this a 4 star instead of 5 is that this is a nice hotel and perfect for what we needed, but the building doesn't have a lot of character. The people were great, though - very good staff. There is a $26 charge for parking but it was quick and worth the money not to have to worry about our car. Will probably stay here again if we have a late night.

Room Tip: Ask for an atrium room away from IH 35
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear SherrieV11,

We appreciate your wonderful comments and are thrilled that you had an amazing stay with us. We strive for providing excellent service and appreciate your loyalty. Please visit us again soon and we look foward to providing extraordinary experiences each and every time.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

We stayed overnight after getting a good price online. I was not expecting a whole lot, but this place turned out to be really nice.

The room was spotless clean with beautiful linens. The bed was super comfy with nice pillows. Despite facing I-35 it was quiet. The bathroom was small, but well appointed. We had a hair dryer, iron, and ironing board in the room along with fridge/mini bar and coffee maker. We never turned on the large flat screen TV, but it was nice to have it if we wanted it. There was a desk with internet hardwire as well as a chair with ottoman. The view from the window was great.

The location for this hotel is excellent. Being right on the feeder means it's easy to come in and easy to get out. Access parking from 4th street or from the 35 feeder. Parking is Valet and that is expensive at 26 bucks per night. That's a little hidden charge, but it is worth it to me. Another nice thing is that there is a little side door, near the fake waterfall, that takes you to a walk along the creek and over to 6th street. So, if you want some nightlife, you can easily find it.

I will be back at the Hilton and I hope it won't be long.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Swisssushi,

We appreciate your business and review provided from your most recent stay with us. We are continually improving our products for you and I look foward to seeing you on your next trip to Austin, TX. Thank you again and have a wonderful week!

Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

You can't pick a more central location....near 6th Street entertainment and restaurants, the Convention Center, etc. Nice quality accomodations, clean and well cared for. This property appears to be an older place that's recently undergone top to bottom renovations. The breakfast buffet is just average. Didn't try dinner in their restaurant because there are so many good choices nearby. I'll definitely be back. I think this hotel will be my first choice when I'm in Austin. Two thumbs up.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side of the property experience less noise from I-35.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Good Afternoon JMfromMemphis:

I want to personally thank you for selecting the Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown for your stay. I appreciate your business and I am thrilled that our location exceeded your expecatations. If there is ever anything that I can do to assit you in the future, please let me know. Have a great weekend and I look foward to seeing you in the future.

Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

To set the stage, I was down here for a weekend to go to a family members wedding down in San Marcos. However, I made a good weekend of it, picking my son up from his base in Fort Hood. Our goal for the weekend was to have a great time. We wanted close to 6th street, and I wasn't wanting to spend $200+ per night to do it. We got a great rate for the time that we were there, so the price/value feedback from me in comparison to others was tremendous.

Here are some of the things I took away....

PARKING - REALLY expensive at $26, but 2nd night was $22. The valet guys were great. Responsive, courteous, accomodating, funny. Great work fellas!

FRONT DESK/CHECKING IN - Everyone was nice up at the front desk. Not really too much of a delay. BE FOREWARNED.....they will charge your card for the entire stay at the maximum prices. It really sucked because it was probably twice as much as my final bill turned out to be, and basically it ate up my spending money. Typically at hotels I've been to, you settle at the end of your trip. I could see a small amount charged on your card, but not more than your quote. It really put a damper on spending.

LOBBY/WALKWAYS - I thought it was a fairly clean hotel. I had no real problems with it. The inner part of the hotel is an atrium that does have a lot of echo to it. I feel for the guy below who had all of the kids being loud lol. I did not have that experience. I could not hear anyone through the doors in the hallway.

ROOM - I loved having the fridge and the microwave. Those were awesome. My iron did not work, but I called front desk and they were all over it getting another one up to me, so that was great. Complimentary internet-Great. There were a lot of electrical outlets - AWESOME. Comfort of bed? I had no problem, but we went pretty hard, so I was going to sleep great no matter what. We were facing freeway. I could hear some traffic, but really only if I paid attention.

LOCATION - If you are going to 6th street, hotel in a GREAT location. And compared to prices at hotels that may be a little closer, this was hands down the best place to stay.

OVERALL - As we were going for mostly just a fun weekend, I wasn't too picky, so I thought this trip was excellent. Hotel absolutely met our needs. Best hotel ever, no, but best hotel for our trip, YES. I have no problems with hotel...comfort, people, value (except parking lol).

Would I come back? Absolutely.

Room Tip: Non-smoking. I would say that for people who are sensitive to noise, do not get rooms closer to f...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank deherrmm
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Dear Deherrmm,

I want to personally thank you for your review and for your business! I appreciate your feedback which allows us to continue to improve our products and servcies for you and all future guests of ours. We will continue to make major improvements so that you will experience first class service every time you stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown! Please let me know if there is ever anything I can do for you or your family and I look foward to meeting you on your next trip to Austin.