“Convivial little wine bar”
Review of Uncorked Wine Bar - CLOSED

Uncorked Wine Bar
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: East Austin
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Uncorked is located in a renovated house just East of I-35 on the rapidly gentrifying 7th street area of Austin. There is a nice outdoor seating area as well as a generously sized bar as well as 2 small, privatish rooms that are artifacts of the original structure. The bar area has a lovely view of the Texas State Capitol. Parking is limited and there is competition from other venues nearby. Although the area is gentrifying, the area is still slightly sketchy. Leave the Bentley at home. Decor is warm and inviting. The staff is pleasant and friendly. For a wine bar, the wine list is relatively small but seems to be well chosen. There is strong favoritism for French and Italian wines. Other regions have token representation.

The people who work there definitely know the wines on the list but I didn't get the sense that they were super passionate and knowledgable outside of the list. Nevertheless, we had some excellent recommendations and thoroughly enjoyed our wines. Sampling is strongly encouraged by the staff which is great!

We ordered some appetizers to go along with the wine. Specifically a pate and a cheese plate. Both were nice with a very generous portion of bread (always a plus). Flavors were very good, just shy of exceptional.

Overall, Urncorked is a relaxed, unpretentious place to have a nice glass of wine. It is just shy of the upper echelon but well worth a visit. Recommended!

Reviewed 19 January 2014

If you're a local or a visitor and like wine, I highly suggest Uncorked. In a residential house turned wine bar, it is cozy (and has an amazing back deck!). The wine list is EXTENSIVE- includes wines from ALL over the world. Prices per bottle are definitely better than by the glass and affordable.

For non-afficinados, the menu comes with a wine glossary, like a wine-for-dummies cheat sheet (cute).

Next time in Austin, I will return with friends!

Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

This wine bar is located in a quaint, little house that has a great staff with wine flights that they can answer any question about. Very friendly warm group with good food also. Nice presentation. Shalee one of the bartenders makes the experience even more entertaining!

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I was looking for a unique dinner place to celebrate a birthday. On a recent plane trip I sat next to a person involved with Uncorked and he suggested that I try it. I am really glad I did. It's a small house on the side of a hill overlooking downtown Austin, slightly East of I35. The night view of downtown was magical. I felt like I was worlds away in some exotic city.

It was a cool but pleasant evening in Austin so we sat outside on the patio. There were portable propane heaters and blankets if we felt chilly but we didn't need them. There is no cover on the patio because of the magnificent trees so if the weather is bad you would have to be indoors. Fortunately there are rows of tables along the windows inside so you still get the great view- but I only saw tables for 2- so for a group this might not be a great bad weather choice.

The wine list was staggering and the flights (set of 3 wine samples) change regularly. Our table all opted for different flights and I was impressed at how Scott, our waiter described each one.

We ordered appetizers, entrees and then desserts to share. The pace of the food coming out of the kitchen was leisurely and exactly what we were looking for but if you want a bite to eat on your way somewhere else this might not be the best choice. Unless you just come for drinks.

We ordered the Baked Manchego and Carmalized Onion Flambée (basically a flaming cheese dish) appetizer and it was incredible. The entree sizes were perfect- not too big but still quite filling. There were just 3 desserts to choose from so we ordered all 3 and were very pleasantly surprised at the large size and low price. There was more than enough for the 4 of us to share.

The service was perfect- we had Scott as our server and he was knowledgeable about the food & wine, checked up on us frequently but not obtrusively and in general was great.

I very VERY rarely go back to a restaurant- there are just too many in Austin to try but this is a place I will definitely come back to. They are open until midnight M-F and until 1am on Sat so it will be a perfect place for a late night dessert & coffee.

Parking is tight and you need a permit to park on most of the surrounding streets but it's a very short walk from the well lit parking lot under I35 (the one with the weird blue "rib" lighting) up to the house.

1  Thank Jen78703
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We went to dinner not knowing what to expect. Located in a refurbed house just east of I-35 on 7th St in Austin, TX.
First off neither my wife or I are into wine, however the wine list sure looked tempting. I opted for the "seasonal beer" and was pleasantly surprised with a Coffee Porter. Very good so I ordered a second.
Now on to the meal - We tried to order the Angus beef tenderloin and the braised lamb but no lamb available so we opted for two beef. The appetizer we choose was the hummus plate and the desert we wanted the bread pudding - oh! no! not available so we had the pears in a wine reduction. Not so good two items from an already limited menus not available. On to the meal--
I liked the beef nicely prepared with a smear of blue cheese on top with some small roasted potatoes under the beef. My wife took one bite and said way too salty and after the second bite pushed the plate a way. I actually kind of liked the beef so I ate both and a few potatoes. My gripe was NO veggies - come on for $21/plate a little green beans, asparagus or roasted mixed veggies would be great. The hummus plate consisted of three kinds of hummus and some soft pita slices. All three were OK to good but we actually make hummus at home and our versions were certainly as good so no complaints but nothing special. Since we could not get the dessert we wanted we order pears in a wine reduction. This was actually very good but by now my wife was kind of disgusted so no recovery in her opinion of Uncorked. No way would she come back kind of sad as the place has all the potential but they just fell on their sword last night.