“Can't beat the location!”
Review of Hotel San Jose

Hotel San Jose
Ranked #75 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Ottawa, Canada
“Can't beat the location!”
Reviewed 29 February 2012

My wife and I and one year old stayed for three nights in a petite suite. The location of this property is excellent, right on S. Congress. Lots of shopping and food choices within a few blocks radius. Room itself was minimal in content but was very well designed. The courtyard is nice while the pool area is minimal (more for the aesthetics than anything). We enjoyed sitting out on our patio, listening to the music/chatter during the evenings - traveling with a little one does have some restrictions!

Free parking and wi-fi is nice, as was the free pack and play provided, complete with linens.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Easy, convenient parking. Room was small, but clean. Gravel walkway to room, no hallways. Hip.

• Stayed February 2012
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My friends and I spontaneously decided to descend upon Austin, which boasts a reputation for great music, culture, architecture and bbq. We chose Hotel San Jose because it seemed to represent the best balance of authenticity, location and because it had the european style suite which the four of us could share at a reasonable cost.

I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived to find the hotel location, style and accommodations exceeded what was portrayed on their poorly designed, flash-heavy website. It was funky, authentic, had a great cafe and was located in easy walking distance to all the stuff along S.Congress including downtown. My bed in our 3-room "Sweet" (suite) was very comfortable, the bathroom expansive and inviting, and the in-room concession items were well selected and tasty. I would highly recommend this suite at this property for any friends or couples looking for an authentic, friendly and affordable Austin experience.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I absolutely adore this hotel! Beautifully transformed by Lake Flato Architects into a sleek, modern oasis in the heart of the city. The rooms are minimal and comfortable. The courtyard and landscaping is artfully done and very inviting.Great retail and restaurants of South Congress in walking distance. Hope to stay again soon!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Yes, we are here right now! When we found out that we had to get a hotel in Austin due to a change in plans, we were scrambling for a place to stay. I had another, more traditionally upscale place in mind, but my son, and Austin resident, said he and his wife have always dreamed of staying here. They said it was right in the middle of a very cool part of the city, and that it was PERFECTLY representative of the funky cool aspect of Austin. I confess I grimaced when I heard the description. I didn't want to stay in a noisy, funky neighborhood and be kept up all night by the noise of loud music and the constant noise of Austin nightlife. Was I ever surprised! The place is Zen-like in its peacefulness. We're in a suite, minimalist in feel, furnished in iconic Mid-Century style, and impossibly endearing. In the bathroom we found a page of Yeats poetry stuck to the wall-Yeats' "The Second Coming". Ahh, those college poetry days. The hotel bathrobes are soft cotton Navajo prints, the beds are covered in "hippie blankets," those endearing wood block-printed spreads we used as bed covers or room dividers during our own college days. The place is a treasure, and yes, it is within walking distance of the activities of South Congress (we cruised the nearby food trailers for an unforgettable dining experience!), but is quiet indeed, with rooms opening to courtyards away from the hustle and bustle I'm loving it here. I hope to come back again!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 32, a large space with extra room for our UT college student to join us for the ni...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Verukah
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I'm torn about giving this hotel a 3 or 4 star rating, actually. I wish I could give it a 3.5. However, while in Austin, we actually stayed at two different hotels (see my other reviews for Austin) because I love a good hotel, travel quite a bit, and couldn't decide between the two and decided to try them both out so as to have a "go to" hotel for future visits to Austin.
The pros:
-Very friendly front desk. Pleasant and fast check in. We arrived a bit early and they quickly found us a room that was ready instead of waiting until the stated check in time
-Parking was easy and close
-Great little outdoor area where you can order drinks and light food. Chilly night and the heat lamps were on. Nice music, atmosphere. Hardly anyone there that night so you could actually have a conversation over a glass of wine.
-The standard rooms are nice and stylish but they are pretty small. Definitely a cool Austin vibe without trying too hard.
-Nice bath products and really cool bed throws and bathrobes.
-Location. Can't really beat the location in Austin.

The cons:
-The room was small. Even for a standard room, it was a bit tight for a couple
-The grounds were a bit unkempt. Not sure if it was because of the season but it seemed a tiny bit shabby.
-The room we had faced Congress...directly across from the Continental and it got quite loud. We were woken up a few times from the music as well as people walking by and screaming as we were literally maybe two feet away from the sidewalk on the ground floor. There is a door to the hotel grounds that seemed to be left open all night which made us feel a bit uncomfortable and not very private. Had the hotel been full, I could understand that sometimes the luck of the draw means sometimes, you have to get the loudest room...BUT we saw maybe two other guests our entire time there so clearly there were other rooms they could have given us that would have made our stay so much more pleasant. For that reason alone, I can't give them a 4 star review.
-We got a pretty decent price for the hotel HOWEVER, I really, really hate that at every turn, they were trying to sell something. I understand that you have to pay for mini bar items but really....not even a complimentary bottle of water or coffee in the room? They were even trying to sell flip flops and a pair of shoes for some reason in the bathroom...it seemed like every single item in the room had a price tag on it. It came off as tacky and unnecessary and was a total turn off. This combined with the room selection/location issue above are really the big reasons I can't give this a 4 star.

All said, I think the San Jose could be a really nice place to stay----with a few minor improvements, I would probably return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Congress. You won't get much sleep if you are facing it.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank fsgnyc
USA
Reviewed 26 December 2011

I stayed over the weekend & had a great time. The hotel was close to everything & the service was excellent, check in was a breeze & room service was fast. The bar & restaurant had good prices & great food. Even the morning buffet was great. The only thing to complain about was the room was a little outdated. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo