“WOW! What an amazing experience!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa

Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa
Ranked #47 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Long Island City, New York
“WOW! What an amazing experience!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

I was overwhelmed with pleasure with my stay at the resort and also my experience at the spa. I was in town on business and would highly recommend choosing this resort!!! There’s nothing like it. Go, go, go!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 November 2011
Glad you were able to fit in some relaxation on a business trip.
Come back on a leisure vacation and you will enjoy yourself even more!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

I was staying at the Barton Creek Resort for a conference. The food at the events was excellent. I only ate at their restaurant for lunch, and it was quite good, but pricey.

The meeting rooms were excellent.

The sleeping rooms were nicely decorated and comfortable, but I couldn't get over such a high-end resort having no tea (they had coffee) or mouthwash supplied as part of the room. I had my own mouthwash, but asked for tea bags twice and was never accomodated. Not good service.

Everything else was excellent, though, so in the bigger picture probably not such a big deal, but it seems like it should have been. I told them at checkout about the tea and they said 'oh we're sorry but we don't have tea in the rooms'.

Also a pet peeve of mine is that the 'business hotels' Holiday Inn Express, Hampton, Courtyard, etc all provide internet service. It was an extra $9 per day for internet. Also the business center charges for computer use after the first 15 minutes, and they have an outrageous price for using the printer....69/pg for black and white....1.79/pg for color.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed very nice.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
silver spring
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

A group of 20 of us just returned from 5 days of golf and fun at Barton Creek Resort. This review will deal with the hotel and restaurants, as well as a brief mention of the recreational facilities. I will post separate, more detailed reviews of each of the four golf courses. Also look for reviews of some restaurants not on the property, if you are interested.

I return home a bit ambivalent about Barton Creek. The setting is certainly beautiful. The staff is amazingly helpful. The rooms are clean, very comfortable, and well-decorated. And I had a great time. But compared to other resorts and spas, such as Marriott's Desert Ridge in Phoenix, I'm not sure I would come back to this one.

I did not use the spa, so I cannot comment on that. But several people on the trip tried to get massages and were unable to. If you want a massage or other spa treatment, book before you arrive.

Two of the four golf courses - the two Fazio courses - are outstanding. They are a reason to come back. The Crenshaw course and the Palmer course (which is 1/2 hour from the hotel) are nice, but I wouldn't rush to play them again. Consider them the tune-up courses for when you first arrive. Although Barton Creek considers the Fazio Canyons course to be it's signature course, all of us enjoyed the beauty of the Fazio Foothills course more.

On the negative side, rooms in the tower are a good ten minute walk from the lobby. If you forget something in your room, or, like happened to me, you get to your room and the key doesn't work, it's a long way back.

In terms of food, we ate in four of the Barton Creek restaurants. They all have one thing in common (along with the beverage carts on the golf courses) - they are very expensive. Sandwiches in the bars run in the $15 range. A Jack Daniels on the rocks cost $11.50, plus mandatory 21% service charge. Two Bloody Marys and a bottle of water on the golf course cost $26.

Breakfast is served in the Hill Country Dining Room. The buffet is very extensive, perhaps the largest I've seen. Quality is good, but not great. It was included in our package, so I don't know how much it would cost if you just walked in. As part of a package deal, great. To pay an enormous sum wouldn't be worth it.

We ate lunch and at various times had drinks and snacks at both the Barton Lounge and the 8212 Wine Bar and Grill. The shrimp BLT and the tortilla soup are OUTSTANDING. The beer selection is decent. But again, all of this is expensive.

The Hill Country Dining Room is turned into a steakhouse for the evening, and again, the key phrase would have to be, "this place is expensive". The food is good, but you can get good food outside the hotel for a lot less money.

Overall, an enjoyable stay, and with the right package, I would return to play the Fazio courses again. But if I was looking for a resort and spa and not golf, I would try elsewhere first.

Room Tip: This is one hotel where being near an elevator is a good idea. Otherwise, you can have a very long...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

Lets start with the good:

This is a beautiful property, very nice pools, great fitness center, nice room with comfortable beds. I did not play golf, but the golf course looks beautiful. The breakfast is amazing, and the room service is good too. This is a great place for a relaxing weekend.

The bad:

My husband had an accident during our stay, and had to use crutches for part of the trip. This hotel is extremely inaccessable for people using crutches or a walker. You have to take lots of stairs to get to both restaurants. There is supposedly a ramp that goes around the perimeter of the building, but that is not very helpful unless you are using a wheel chair. You also have to pass several sets of stairs to access the outdoor pool. Additionally, I believe most of the rooms are located in the tower, which also requires that you climb multiple sets of stairs to reach your room.

The other negative part of our stay was our spa experience. First, I do not believe the spa pictures taken in front of the rock wall were even taken at the resort-maybe somewhere outside but they look nothing like the interior of the spa. The mud treatment was not as described on the website. Only a tiny amount of mud was used on my body (multiple spots had no mud at all, I had one streak of mud down each arm). Additionally, the description includes a scalp treatment. The aesthetician described the treatment before she left the room but left out the scalp treatment. So I asked her if I would be receiving the scalp treatment, and she said that she knew nothing of a scalp treatment. She left part way through my treatment to inquire about the scalp treatment and returned with a bottle of oil for a head massage.

It was not the most relaxing experience, however the hotel manager was extremely responsive and he deducted the cost of the treatment from the cost of the room.

The spa could use some work, but hotel management is fantastic so we would return again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ilovetrips93
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 24 October 2011
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful surroundings and our delicious cuisine.
Regarding your spa experience, I would like you to know that we have retrained the spa therapists on this treatment, so there will be a consistent delivery of the service that is in line with the description. I apologize for the challenges imposed on your husband during the stay. The resort is ADA compliant, but very spread out. In hindsight, it might have been more convenient for your room to be in a different part of the hotel, closer to the activities you were planning to enjoy. We hope to welcome you back sometime soon.
PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

Good golf courses.
Good food.
Service was decent.
Place needs some updating and renovations.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank sdavis0041
We are working on some exciting and extensive renovation plans for next year. We hope you will return to see the upcoming changes.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2011

We were here for two nights with a large group. The facilities for the convention were nice, and the view from our room was lovely. The resort is in a hilly area, but is not very convenient to downtown Austin. The rooms were clean and nice, and the food was pretty good. Overall, it is a nice resort, but it lacks the super luxury element.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Singerred
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

Stayed three nights (Sept 16-19th). Located in an upscale neighborhood and a very beautiful location. Was impressed from the moment we saw the hotel and golf course. We were greeted by the bell staff and informed that we could valet or self park. Rooms were not quite ready at 2:30 so they stored our luggage and took it to the room as soon as they were notified. We had a marvelous lunch in the wine bar overlooking the tennis courts. Great food and service. Rooms were ready afterwards and luggage had arrived. They were large and very nice. Beds and linens were awesome and comfortable. Nice flat screen tv but was disappointed that it was not HD. Room was called a resort room, so no balcony and lower floor but still very nice. All staff were great but don't ask bell staff for directions. We got lost trying to get to a wedding at the House on the hill which was only 2 miles away but were sent in the wrong direction. Pool area is very nice, the food was good and they would make whatever you wanted. Visited the spa for a massage, pricey but worth it and the facilities were nice as well. We also enjoyed the breakfast buffet and had great service there.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 September 2011
Our executive chef has been at the resort for 25 years and he continues to create inventive and flavorful menu items. We will share your kind words with him. Thank you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Hotel Granduca Austin
Lone Star Court
Lone Star Court
#7 of 197 in Austin
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,031 reviews

Been to Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!