“Very Impressed”

GreenLeadersGold level
Canyon Lake, Texas
“Very Impressed”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

My husband and I spent one night at the W and attended the Jimmy Buffett concert. Let's just say I'm a bit of a hotel snob, my husband and I travel frequently for work and leisure, Mandarin and Ritz generally top my list, and Starwood is always one of my go to's as well. Service was excellent, check in a breeze, offered a comp upgrade but had to turn it down because it was a dbl and we're partial to a king. Loved the Fiji water at check in and the Acura drop off was convenient, our driver, a nice young man from California was very courteous and obliged all requests. I don't think we've ever had a valet bring the car around in less time, we called, rode the elevator down, and the car was there. The preeminent service however, came from Tony, he's the true personification of whatever whenever! I don't think there's a concierge out there who can measure up. Thanks Tony! W Austin and Tony have set a new standard for this hotel guest.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Sun Diego
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I'll admit upfront that I'm a Starwood junkie and love the "new" W series hotels in the group, but this site was just a tad disappointing.

While the service staff was very attentive and the restaurant (Trace, separate review) was terrific, I found the overall experience over-rated and over-priced for my recent business trip to Austin. The rates charged were in excess of that for both NYC and Washington, DC and they couldn't even deliver a paper to my room in this morning.

Admittedly, this could have been a exception given the Jimmy Buffett concert last night in the Austin City Limits section of the building, with the parrott-heads driving up the price. But I will probably try another Starwood property the next time I come to Austin rather than the W.

As a business traveler, I pack a variety of electronics to keep connected. Therefore, the wall-warts always need a home and this room was bereft of easy plugins. I finally found some outlets under the desk, but the insert fell out making me uncertain about safety.

I hope that my experience is not the usual, and that other reviewers find it better than I did. Certainly, the W series in the Starwood group has usually been a clear winner for me.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Allan B
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the W Austin. I appreciate your feedback on pricing and identifying outlets in room. We strive to make business travel as seamless as possible, and understand the frustration of having to locate outlets, much less ones that are faulty. Thank you also for your feedback and review in regards to TRACE restaurant, I am glad that you enjoyed your time dining. Should you choose to visit us again, please contact me directly so that I may personally assist you in securing a room. I can be reached at (512) 542-3633 or drew.mcquade@whotels.com.

Regards,
Drew McQuade
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 30 May 2012 via mobile

Got upgraded to a suite on the 7th floor and I was completely blown away by the views and size of the room. We loved the place. The suite had a living room with a 52" TV and the bedroom had another TV too. Things I loved about the hotel
1. Acura car transport. The hotel provides free rides in an Acura to close destinations.... Awesome
2. Concierge: unlike any other. Always ready to help.
3. Pool: is amazing place to lounge
4. Location: right next to 6th street where all the fun is.

Will definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Pretty good stay in Austin.

Pros:
-Location (downtown within walking distance of many restaurants/bars)
-Service: Was OK, not great
-Facilities: Great gym, nice pool, outdoor pool lounge area, restaurant

Cons:
-W Hotels always seems to be a trendy and hip scene. Not that that's a bad thing, but can get overrun with hipsters as was the case here. It seems like the emphasis is more on the cool here rather than the service.
-Bathtub/Shower: At 6'0" tall, it's almost impossible to enter the tub/shower. Very high side walls.
-Maintenance: Seems like property is already showing its age. Lots of scratches on the walls/hallways and chipped furniture in the room.
-Price: Very high

Nice hotel, but not sure I'd stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My fiance and I spent two nights at the W this past Memorial Day weekend, and were amazed from the moment we walked in. The photos on the W's website and on trip advisor do not do this swanky hotel justice. Every room is breathtaking and like nothing you've seen before. This is not your typical hotel by any means.

What we loved-
Location! Many restaurants close by, walkable bars!
Our room was awesome! We had a corner room on the 14th floor! Great views!
Iphone charger on one side of the bed and mulit charger on the other side!
Decor was amazing
Acura Experience- quick service for a Saturday on a holiday weekend! No questions asked and complimentary Fiji water!
Friendly, helpful staff
Trace was delicious with a great atmosphere
Valet was ready to go! No waiting around after check out!
Loved the "good morning" "good afternoon" and "good evening" floor mats!
Best of all- Surprise champagne and dessert for my Fiance's birthday!!

The other stuff..
Comfy bed but queen bed in our room, not king?
We loved the open shower- but could be awkward for people sharing rooms
Beautiful people who know they are beautiful everywhere, especially at the pool and in the living room at night. Kind of annoying!
Wished there was a quick service coffee/breakfast counter inside the hotel.

Overall- we loved it!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This is the perfect hotel for the business person or just for leisure. Their gym is quite large and with a nice studio. It could be one of the largest hotel gyms I've ever used (apart from some of the usual Vegas hotels). Rooms are of a decent size; extremely clean and with many attention to details. Their concierge, Tony, is the nicest and most knowledgable concierges I've ever met. The star is attentive and polite. A must try better than any of the other top 10 hotels.

• Stayed May 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We stayed at the W Austin in April for a family wedding. On my first night, I was kept awake the whole night by two loud, yelping dogs. I have no problem with dogs but these two dogs were truly loud and aggravating. The hotel removed one and moved the dog but the other continued it's howling. When I called reception again, they said that they would move me to a much nicer room given the inconvenience of the situation. I explained that I had an appointment in one hour and was assured someone would bring my key up immediately. I waited for 45 minutes and finally went down myself and was issued a key with no offer to help me with moving my stuff. The new room was a third smaller with no view but there was "nothing they could do". I didn't appreciate being lied to about an upgrade.

Upon checking out, i was charged the correct rate but my parents were charged almost double the wedding family rate. A ten minute conversation ensued whereupon I was repeatedly told that I had booked with triple A (we don't have that in Canada and I didn't know what they were talking about) and that I had booked my parents room weeks after I was supposed to. I repeatedly told the front desk staff that I booked the two rooms within two days of each other. Each time they repeated I had not, and one worker told me to show my confirmation email. When I told him I didn't have it on me, he smirked and said "there's nothing we can do" - basically the slogan of this hotel. After ten minutes of arguing another staff member stepped in and said "pull up all the info on room x" upon which time I realized they had the wrong room!!! When I corrected him, they all laughed and with no apologies whatsoever proceeded to complete check out. Disgusting! Making a customer feel belittled is something they're really good at!

I will NEVER stay at a W again. Ever. Being implicated as a liar while being lied to is not something I enjoy.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Tabasom E
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the W Austin. My deepest apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay, specific to your room location and the check-out process. The experience you had checking out is not at all what we strive for, and I’m very concerned about how our team interacted with you and the impression that they left. I would very much like the welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay further, so that I may discuss with my team to ensure this doesn’t happen again. I can be reached at drew.mcquade@whotels.com or (512) 542-3633. Thank you again for your review, and bringing these service issues to my attention. I look forward to chatting with you further.

Best,