W Austin
Average 3/5
  • Room Service
The Driskill(Austin)
1,268 results
All reviewswet decktrace restaurantbliss productscorner suiteliving roomhip hotelmoody theaterchocolate covered strawberriesfour seasonslady bird lakehotel barheart of downtownlive musictown lakevalet parkingfitness centerconcierge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I'll admit upfront that I'm a Starwood junkie and love the "new" W series hotels in the group, but this site was just a tad disappointing.

While the service staff was very attentive and the restaurant (Trace, separate review) was terrific, I found the overall experience over-rated and over-priced for my recent business trip to Austin. The rates charged were in excess of that for both NYC and Washington, DC and they couldn't even deliver a paper to my room in this morning.

Admittedly, this could have been a exception given the Jimmy Buffett concert last night in the Austin City Limits section of the building, with the parrott-heads driving up the price. But I will probably try another Starwood property the next time I come to Austin rather than the W.

As a business traveler, I pack a variety of electronics to keep connected. Therefore, the wall-warts always need a home and this room was bereft of easy plugins. I finally found some outlets under the desk, but the insert fell out making me uncertain about safety.

I hope that my experience is not the usual, and that other reviewers find it better than I did. Certainly, the W series in the Starwood group has usually been a clear winner for me.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Allan B
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the W Austin. I appreciate your feedback on pricing and identifying outlets in room. We strive to make business travel as seamless as possible, and understand the frustration of having to locate outlets, much less ones that are faulty. Thank you also for your feedback and review in regards to TRACE restaurant, I am glad that you enjoyed your time dining. Should you choose to visit us again, please contact me directly so that I may personally assist you in securing a room. I can be reached at (512) 542-3633 or drew.mcquade@whotels.com.

Regards,
Drew McQuade

Reviewed 30 May 2012

Got upgraded to a suite on the 7th floor and I was completely blown away by the views and size of the room. We loved the place. The suite had a living room with a 52" TV and the bedroom had another TV too. Things I loved about the hotel
1. Acura car transport. The hotel provides free rides in an Acura to close destinations.... Awesome
2. Concierge: unlike any other. Always ready to help.
3. Pool: is amazing place to lounge
4. Location: right next to 6th street where all the fun is.

Will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Pretty good stay in Austin.

Pros:
-Location (downtown within walking distance of many restaurants/bars)
-Service: Was OK, not great
-Facilities: Great gym, nice pool, outdoor pool lounge area, restaurant

Cons:
-W Hotels always seems to be a trendy and hip scene. Not that that's a bad thing, but can get overrun with hipsters as was the case here. It seems like the emphasis is more on the cool here rather than the service.
-Bathtub/Shower: At 6'0" tall, it's almost impossible to enter the tub/shower. Very high side walls.
-Maintenance: Seems like property is already showing its age. Lots of scratches on the walls/hallways and chipped furniture in the room.
-Price: Very high

Nice hotel, but not sure I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My fiance and I spent two nights at the W this past Memorial Day weekend, and were amazed from the moment we walked in. The photos on the W's website and on trip advisor do not do this swanky hotel justice. Every room is breathtaking and like nothing you've seen before. This is not your typical hotel by any means.

What we loved-
Location! Many restaurants close by, walkable bars!
Our room was awesome! We had a corner room on the 14th floor! Great views!
Iphone charger on one side of the bed and mulit charger on the other side!
Decor was amazing
Acura Experience- quick service for a Saturday on a holiday weekend! No questions asked and complimentary Fiji water!
Friendly, helpful staff
Trace was delicious with a great atmosphere
Valet was ready to go! No waiting around after check out!
Loved the "good morning" "good afternoon" and "good evening" floor mats!
Best of all- Surprise champagne and dessert for my Fiance's birthday!!

The other stuff..
Comfy bed but queen bed in our room, not king?
We loved the open shower- but could be awkward for people sharing rooms
Beautiful people who know they are beautiful everywhere, especially at the pool and in the living room at night. Kind of annoying!
Wished there was a quick service coffee/breakfast counter inside the hotel.

Overall- we loved it!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This is the perfect hotel for the business person or just for leisure. Their gym is quite large and with a nice studio. It could be one of the largest hotel gyms I've ever used (apart from some of the usual Vegas hotels). Rooms are of a decent size; extremely clean and with many attention to details. Their concierge, Tony, is the nicest and most knowledgable concierges I've ever met. The star is attentive and polite. A must try better than any of the other top 10 hotels.

• Stayed: May 2012