“Great Staycation”

Ranked #14 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Great Staycation”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

My husband and I recently stayed for a birthday get-a-way. Upon checking in we were put in a room that was not what I reserved. The staff worked diligently to rectify the problem and accommodate us. Additionally they sent a bottle of wine to our room, which was a wonderful gesture. We enjoyed many different activities, some of which were new for us. Each staff member was great. They were patient, fun, encouraging and knowledgeable in their instructions. The challenge course was clearly our favorite! Josh and Cortnie were amazing!! Very safety oriented with great humor, people skills and a sense of providing a new experience with skill and care. Scott was also there with support and encouragement. My riding lesson with Norris was awesome! He was extremely helpful and an intuitive teacher. Super friendly and clearly an expert in his field.

Our dining experiences were also good. The menu was somewhat limited with choices our first night but everything was farm to table fresh, well presented, and plated hot. The second evening the menu was expanded and again the food very good. The dining room is expansive and includes a wonderful Texas style fireplace with very comfortable couches to snuggle in front of. There is an additional bar, separate from the dining room which was fun to have a cocktail in. Nice touch in the morning, they heat their coffee mugs:)!

Our massages at the spa were first rate. Often in resorts I have found the service over-priced for the quality of therapist, not true here. The outdoor pool and hot-tub overlook the Texas hill country and offer a beautiful view at sunset.

This is a place to experience new things and connect. It is Texas style, not an uppity resort. Come to have fun, relax, try something new and be treated like favored guests.

Sally

Room Tip: Canyon views offer the best view of the Texas hill country.
5 Thank Sally N
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear SallyN
Thanks for the great review: see you again soon I hope!
Tim Thuell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
georgia
Reviewed 23 February 2012

A friend and I recently spent 3 nights at Travaasa Austin. Our goal was to experience a spa and it's fitness classes. The classes are varied and well-taught. We enjoyed 2 different yoga classes and a ball workout class as well as the climbing wall. It was great! Each instructor took time to answer questions and give us tips. The spa services were delightful. We both got deep tissue massages, the energetic edge massage and a facial. The staff is friendly and helpful but not pushy. I agree with other reviews that you should ask for a 2nd floor room because the view is nice. We only had a shower in our room and would've liked a tub. I liked the simplicity and warmth of the architecture and the way the campus is spread out. It was not very crowded the days we were there and we found it very peaceful. We had our breakfast at Travaasa and took time to see Austin in the afternoon and evening since we had a car. It worked out great for us!

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms with the canyon view!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank jbcmc
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Dear jcmbc
Thanks for the review, and thanks for coming: we discussed adding some more tubs just this morning! We do hope to see you again, soon.
Best,
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We had a relaxing stay at Travaasa. The spa was great, the food was great and the activities were fun. Nothing was pushed on us. Would definitely return!

3 Thank JeanneMetz
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
JeanneMetz
We'll be waiting for you! Thanks for the review
Best
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 18 February 2012

My mother was coming to visit me in Houston from PA, and I had looked into several spa type of options to treat her to when I came across an ad for Travassa. We had planned on visiting my son at UT Austin, so this place sounded like the perfect excursion for her visit. We stayed at the Driskill downtown on Sunday night, then drove only about 30 minutes Monday to get to the resort, staying Monday and Tuesday nights. We were very warmly welcomed and given a schedule of events and map of grounds upon check in. The room was second floor overlooking the canyon, and much to our delight there was actually some nice fall color (in October). There was no activities that afternoon, so we just walked the grounds and then I had a short workout in the fitness center while Mom lounged by the pool. The views and pool area are beautiful, and I joined her there to watch the sunset. We had dinner at the restaurant, outside on their lovely patio and were very well attended to. The food was well prepared and featured some local, fresh ingredients. The next day we participated in a few classes, including yoga, a core type strength class, juicing lesson and intro to salsa dancing. The staff there was wonderful and knowledgeable. I had a massage in the spa - very relaxing and enjoyable.
Only negative was that on weekdays there may not be as much offered as weekends. I would have liked to do the challenge course but it wasn't available. The mechanical bull was also not available. I think this resort was newly acquired or under new management and it seemed to still be working out some kinks - but overall still highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Cynthia K
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 19 February 2012
Dear Cynthia K
Thanks you for coming, and for the review: good to know you still have happy memories! Lots of kinks have been worked out since October: time for a return? I hope so.
Best,
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 18 February 2012

My husband, Alan and I were looking for a place to get away and to recharge and we found it in Travaasa Austin. We just returned to Oklahoma City last night after spending three days in Austin. We brought so much knowledge about important life skills and just an overall peace with us that we had lost recently in the hustle and bustle of our daily lives and work commitments.

I title this "camp for grown-ups" because it was the first impression I had on night one of our experience. You drive up a long drive in anticipation of what your "home away from home" will be the next few days and see separate buildings and beautiful grounds. The "cabins" are along the trail and you walk everywhere (short walks) once you are there. In walking to Jean's Kitchen, where you eat all your meals, I commented to my husband, I feel like I am at camp! We had our flashlight and were talking in whispers because it is so quiet and pretty dark but I realize that setting caused my mood to kick in to relaxed state and it stayed there for our three day experience.

When talking about our time there, the one thing that Alan and I realized was so different from anywhere that we stayed is that we really felt like we connected with people there, mostly staff but some of the other guests. The atmosphere really encourages that. Because of the personalities and the wonderful talents, I want to recognize this in hopes that anyone reading this review will watch for your encounter with any of these people. Meeting them is worth your while for sure! We spent most of our time with Jillian, the activities coordinator. Jillian is highly talented in so many areas of health and fitness. Her knowledge is vast and her heart and willing ness to share and teach is unmatchable. I did the Resistance Ball class with her first off and it was a challenge for me but a good workout and I enjoyed learning some new exercises. We also did a Vision Board class under her instruction and it was such a good activity to focus on what we should be thinking about it in life instead of the incidentals of daily life. Jillian teaches a class called Serenity Stretch that I would love to see on DVD and to be able to use at home. It was wonderful. The last class we attended by her was on juicing. She used a Vitamix blender and we sampled three different blends from greens to almonds to fruit and about the tricks and important benefits of using this great tool. I really feel like I had a month's worth of good nutritional classes and will change some of my habits for the better.
In the kitchen, we enjoyed the warm welcome and fun, wonderful service of Nick, Veronica, Craig and Drew. Meals were something to really look forward to so that you could see what was specially prepared that night (there are usually three entrees and a few appetizer and dessert choices). Seeing the friendly faces at mealtime was an added bonus.
Loni and Janice were our massage therapists at the spa. We both had a deep tissue and for us both, it was one of our best massage experiences ever. Janice was able to increase my husband's range of motion in a long time frozen shoulder. It was amazing.
Alissa and Jessie were most helpful at the Welcome Center with reservations, questions or any special accommodations that we needed.
Susan did a Guided Meditation class for us the last day and it was just the experience to take home with us. It was held at the Solidago Gardens and I highly recommend going to this space while you are there for quiet mediation if nothing else. It is beautiful.

The bedding is so comfortable that we may purchase some of it.

After our wonderful experience and feeling so connected with the wonderful people at Travaasa, we plan to make this a two or three times a year recharge for us. It takes you out of your normal world and worries and I have found few places that do that and it is important. They said the experience differs from middle of the week vs weekend. Middle of the week is very quiet, less crowded and fewer activities (but still plenty). If you want the feeling of more camaraderie, weekends might be better. I think we will try both ways.

Last few things to mention: the pool, hot tub, dry sauna are all very nice and we enjoyed them. Also we went with the Total Travaasa package and really enjoyed it. It took all the worry out of signing checks, adding gratuity, etc. It was nice to focus only on recharging. They make it easy for sure!

Alan made the comment that the website doesn't paint the picture of how wonderful this experience is. I am pleased to see all the comments here on Trip Advisor because the website tempts you but doesn't answer many questions.

In closing, like my younger years at leaving camp, I feel very protective of my experience at Travaasa and hope to keep that spirit alive and incorporate what we learned there into our every day life. I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: We did the Canyon view and it was pretty but the Trail view would be nice too.
3 Thank HeatherDavisOKC
Dear HeatherDavisOKC
What a lovely review: thank you. We will never get the website to truly replicate what we have, so we count on reviews like yours!
All the best,
General Camp Counselor!
Houston, TX
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I spent the weekend with girlfriends at this destination spa over the weekend. This place was a wonderful getaway that I look forward to visiting again one day soon. The place was not very hard to find and is set off in a secluded area well protected from outside intrusions. Upon arrival check in was quick and well organized. We were oriented with all the activities, dining options and everything else we may have needed while there. The staff is superb. They treated us like royalty and did their very best to meet any request we may have had. The activities are varied and taught by individuals who care about their craft. We took yoga, meditation, breathwork and cooking classes. We also did the challenge course which was totally exhilarating!!! If you are not afraid of heights you should definitely give it a go. We stayed on resort for all our meals since it was included in the total Travaasa package. The food is wonderful and you are told that almost everything they cook with is locally grown. Ben is the chef we took a class with and aside from being drop dead handsome...his dinners were a wonderful way to end the night. Also, they have a variety of options for all types. I am vegetarian and had plenty of options to choose from for each meal while my girlfriends claimed to have eaten some of the best steak and chicken they ever had. We each had our own rooms and they had everything a person would need. Flat screen tvs, plush queen size beds, privacy options, hygiene products, plenty of towels, ac/heat operation, great in room coffee (which is hard to find these days), daily newspapers, feminine products, etc. The rooms were very clean and housekeeping checked in daily. Finally, the spa. I chose two treatments for the weekend to include the ancient purification massage and the chakra healing energy treatment. These were great and I would definitely recommend them to others. There are so many to choose from and you can't go wrong...as it is what they do. There is a beautful pool, dry sauna, jacuzzi and full service locker room. Every staff person I met seemed truly pleased to work there and their actions toward guests reflected that. Many thanks to Nick, Edward, Frankie, Ben, James, Josh, the young man who made me that newly created spicy martini and everyone else for a trip to remember.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank gal13
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Dear Gal13
Wow! Thank you for such a full and flattering review! By the way, Ben is blushing! It was our pleasure to welcome you, and look forward to you returning!
Kind regards,
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Really unique spot in the hills. Staff - super friendly, Massage - awesome, Food - tasty. If you're not in the mood to sit back, relax, wind-down or take things easy, this isn't the place for you. My one regret....leaving before getting a chance to ride the Bull...ahhhhhh!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor have sic views :)
Dear JCKS0007,
The Bull is beckoning you! Thanks so much for coming, and the great review! See you again soon,
Tim Thuell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
14.5 km away
23.1 km away
JW Marriott Austin
JW Marriott Austin
#16 of 203 in Austin

Been to Travaasa Austin? Share your experiences!