“Large number 5 please”

Cuisines: Pizza
Neighbourhood: West Campus
Neighbourhood: West Campus
Reviewed 4 August 2016

Go for happy hour, and get a Liter of box wine for $10 and a large pie for a cheap date night. The place is small, go early. I love their crust, if you like thin crust, this is the one.

1  Thank David J

Reviewed 26 July 2016

Austin stakes its reputation for keeping things weird, but when it comes to pizza, we were looking for a joint that serves up fresh, good tastin, thin crust pizza. Salvation Pizza did just that. We stopped in at their West Campus location on 34th. St. First off, there was ample free parking on the street which I like. The restaurant is located in a house with a large, freshly painted front porch that offered pleasant, picnic table dining. There were also TVs mounted around the porch for patron's viewing pleasure. We opted to sit inside because Texas is a tad warm and humid in late July. The porch would be perfect after the sun goes down. We took advantage of Salvation's Tues. specials including 1/2 price appetizers and large, 2-topping pizzas for $15.00. They also had 1/2 off drink specials. We started with a Greek Salad, which was super-fresh and delicious, generously garnished with feta cheese, kalamata olives, red and green peppers, tomatoes, cucumber and just enough red onion to add a little zing. The Greek dressing came on the side and was well-balanced (not too garlicky, oily or vinegary). We also sampled their garlic bread (1/2 price), which arrived piping hot with a side of marinara for dipping. It's a sliced loaf with crispy crust and soft center, brushed with garlic butter. One order is enough for 4 people to share. Then, out came our large pizza with pepperoni and black olives. The crust was very light and crispy with a good sauce to cheese ratio. The sauce did have small chunks of tomato. I'm fine with a little heft to my sauce, but my son (and dining companion) prefers smooth pizza sauce. I don't like pizzas covered in wall-to-wall pepperoni. It's too greasy and gives me the schpilkes. For my taste, the amount of pepperoni and black olives worked. Overall, the flavor was very good and didn't require table-side doctoring up with Parmesan, red pepper flakes and extra spices. Our pizza was baked evenly...also a big plus! I really liked our server. She had a little Amy Winehouse eyeliner thing which I appreciated and was super friendly and efficient. Our bill came to $32.93 (before tip) and we brought half the pizza back to our hotel for a late-night snack. If you find yourself in Austin and are thinking about pizza and/or Salvation, check it out just off Guadalupe on 34th. St.

Reviewed 7 June 2016

We were hungry for pizza on a Saturday night, and our son thought of Salvation Pizza, near west campus. Sat outside on the patio, nice breeze, good service. I like thin crust, and this did not disappoint. We had half Hawaiian (Canadian bacon & pineapple), and half with pepperoni, hamburger and panchetta. The pepperoni half was outstanding, fresh and flavorful, not greasy at all, crispy crust. Wine and beer choices were good too. Cheese garlic bread appetizer was amazing.

Reviewed 28 May 2016

I'm really very Jon Stewart about pizza (find him on YouTube), esp. after living in Chicago for a couple of years. Having grown up in Brooklyn, NY pizza is just "pizza" to me. The other kinds of pizza are a mistake or an attempt to be distinctive in an area I really don't want experimentation (of coure, we have to except Neapolitan pizza, its own kind of sublime). Salvation is a nice place on my way home from campus and I love going for lunch with colleagues there. As a pizza purist, I judge it by eating it plain...just cheese and well-done. Salvation's plain pizza does not stand up for me (I don't like the garlic and the crust is a little too thin). But I will say that I do like the pizza more with toppings on it (the sausage and jalapeño is a favorite, as is the chicken and garlic white pie). But it's like eating a different category of food. All in all, I recommend highly--just have the right attitude!

Reviewed 27 November 2015

We ordered a bunch of pies at work. Most were very good. The clam pie was disappointing as it basically tasted like it was a bacon pie. Crust was a bit harder than I like, but I think that was due to the delivery.

Other combinations were very good. Office mates like the pies, even the cheese-free pie.

Delivery was fats and efficient.

Been to Salvation Pizza? Share your experiences!