“Delightful”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Austin
Strickland Arms Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 35 Austin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 June 2011

I absolutely loved my stay at the historic Strickland arms. The innkeepers Barbara and James were both very sweet and accommodating to us. The room was very clean and comfortable and I loved the flat screen TV. The breakfast was tasty as they took care to slice and arrange the fruit platters for their guests. The location was close to restaurants and a major bus line which takes you to downtown Austin. Be sure to say hello to the furry innkeepers, Bueno, Evil and Amber. The Strickland's pets were very friendly and helped to make my stay even better. I would definitely stay here again..and again...and again.

Room Tip: Book early to get the best room
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TheIceGoddess

Reviewed 9 March 2011

My wife and I spent two nights at the Strickland and found it just fine. We are pretty adventurous and have stayed in B&B's and inns all over the world. The Strickland is for those how appreciate and enjoy old houses that may not be 100% restored and pristine, and who aren't overly fussy. That's us. We stayed in Lady Mae's Room, a large, king-bedded room with a corner facing - lots of windows and views. Very comfortable, lots of space, just right for us. Large, well-appointed bathroom with large tub/shower. Lots of soft, fluffy towels - how do you keep them so soft???
Barbara Strickland is a great host - you're staying in her home with her family but have plenty of space to yourself. We like that experience. Breakfast is very basic, very healthy - tons of fresh fruit, great biscuits, scrambled eggs - good start to the day, but not overwhelming fancy cuisine. We don't need or really like fancy for breakfast, so were happy customers.
It being March, we couldn't enjoy the pool or the various outdoor facilities - hot tub, fireplaces, lots of seating areas. Guess we'll have to come back in "the season".
Thank you Barbara for a good stay in the wonderful Hyde Park neighborhood!
The Beards, Houston, Texas

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheTravelingBeards
Reviewed 16 May 2010

My husband and I enjoyed a lovely 3 night stay at The Strickland Arms in Austin, TX. The house and grounds have been developed with great care by the most hospitable owners Barb and James. The location was perfect for us, with lovely Hyde Park restaurants within walking distance, and we could park our car and catch a bus into town, a 10-15 minute ride. Our trip was delayed by the "Volcano", but Barb and I kept in touch by email, and she continually adjusted our reservation,. I had to give her a hug when we finally arrived 9 days later than expected. Our room was beutifully decorated and peacefully quiet with a fabulous 4 poster bed. Barb served up an incredibly ample breakfast the first 2 mornings, and, on the 3rd, set out a moveable feast we could take with us on our early morning departure. When in Austin, stay at The Strickland Arms!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PucksterLondon
Reviewed 3 April 2010

It is ok, the innkeepers nice, but it is in need of repair, the wall paper in the bathroom is crinkled, the carpet was dusty in the bedroom, the bedspread old and showing its age. The breakfast was plentiful and adequate, but not elegant or creative, eggs, muffins, fruit. The company was excellent, very interesting travellers. The sleep was good once the innkeeper took away the very noisy wind chimes. It is a quiet neighborhood. The bed was comfortable, although the pillows were flat as a pancake, fortunately we had taken our own pillows. The innkeepers are making some repairs and improvements outside, but I didn't see evidence of improvements inside and they need them, at least in our bedroom. All this said, I could stay here again, but could not for more than a night, the dust and attention to detail bothered me.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank loveagora
Reviewed 14 October 2009

The location of the B&B was very convenient to the sites in downtown Austin and quiet . We liked the neighborhood. The hostess, Barb was very helpful and friendly. There is beautiful new swimming pool in the back yard and a lovely wrap-around porch on the house. We found our room spacious, quiet and clean, but the overall feel of the house was that it was run down. A couple of the lights in the room did not work and some of the furniture needed repair. The house itself had the feel of a William Faulkner novel.
The breakfast was adequate but not extraordinary, with a lovely fruit salad, homemade bisuits and (upon request) scrambled eggs. On the whole, and having compared prices in Austin, we would consider it a good place to stay for the rate, but not outstanding.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 13bato
Reviewed 14 May 2009

This B&B is in a 1906 historic house. It is decorated with period pictures, furniture and other items giving it a slightly dated feel. The rooms could use a little maintenance in the fit and finish department, but they are quite acceptable. The inkeeper, Barbara, is very nice and friendly. The lovely grounds contain several statues and a fountain. There is a mellow dog and two friendly cats. The B&B is located in a quiet neighborhood and not in downtown Austin, but it is only a short drive or bus ride to downtown. I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 February 2006

We cancelled a booking for the busy SXSW week in March 06 well in advance, (5 months) the managers admit they lost my details so without authority in Jan 06 they charged $719 to my VISA as a way of getting me to call them again from New Zealand. While they did refund the base amount there was no apology and no compensation for the $41 in foreign currency exchange and bank fees that I incurred. Except for one flat refusal they have ignored all communications regarding a full refund.
My experience is that The Strickland Arms record keeping is sloppy and unprofessional, communication is poor. You should not assume that any booking made or cancelled is going to be actioned. Be very careful about giving your credit card information to managers.

• Stayed: January 2006