“Nice place. Okay service. Proud price tags.”

Omni Austin Hotel Downtown
Ranked #40 of 205 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 8 November 2017

This is a large, comprehensive property. There is no shuttle to/from the airport - a cab costs ~$30, give or take. If you need to catch a cab, just step outside and tell the valet - he yells "cab" and one pulls up from the line waiting on the street.

Check in was easy enough, but even though I mentioned it was my first time there, the young lady behind the counter didn't brief me where things were (restaurants, conference rooms, etc). She was professional, but her instructions for accessing the Internet were pretty vague, accompanied by a mild attitude that I should have known, even though I told her it was my first time there. Be sure to ask for clarificaiton, as there are multiple ways to access the Internet in this large hotel.

There are two sets of elevators, one set gives you access to the higher floors, the other doesn't. Surprisingly, given the number of floors, the elevators are quite efficient. The atrium is "wow" spacious (see the picture), and if your room overlooks it, the view is pretty cool.

A/C in the room was either "ON" and "IN YOUR FACE" blowing hard, or it was off. It was difficult to maintain a steady temperature. And, when the A/C was on, it was LOUD.

The buffet restaurant was $21 for breakfast. Everyone I was there meeting with thought the prices were a bit steep. The running joke at lunch was that hamburgers were only $35. Of course, that wasn't true, but that gives you an idea of how people perceived the price-to-value ratio.

Later interactions with the front desk were similar to the first, and one young man was dead set on telling me exactly which path I should take to get from point A to point B (even though multiple options existed), and his attitude indicated that I would be ignorant for not walking *exactly* the path he said.

The business facilities (computer / copy area) on the 2nd floor were outstanding, and the man working that area scored a 10 out of 10 in my book. VERY helpful.

As for the neighborhood, some of the women in our group wanted to go out for a walk, but the neighborhood gave them the heebee jeebies. That was affirmed after we heard that someone had been assaulted a few blocks from the property the day before we arrived. Plus, all of us had a tough time walking very far without being asked for money.

Overall, there was much to like about this place, but also some things I thought could have been different. If you're going to stay IN the hotel during your visit, or if you use cabs to get where you want to go, and you don't mind the prices, this is a great place.

Room Tip: Atrium rooms are quieter
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2017

Thank you very much for taking time to share your detailed observations and comprehensive feedback following your recent stay. We do hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again in the future as we appreciate your patronage. - P.H. on behalf of Gene M.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,982)

Reviewed 8 November 2017

I was beyond happy with my recent stay. It's perfectly located in the heart of downtown Austin, my accommodations were great (nice big bathroom and super comfy bed), the staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating, and the open lobby was great for hanging out. My only complaint would be the quality and expense of the room service breakfast I had, but everything else was great. I definitely give the hospitality of the staff an extra thumbs up. I'd book this place every time I travel to Austin.

Room Tip: Ask for a high-floor room and get special elevator access and a balcony!
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business

We're delighted to have you as a repeat customer. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel during your next trip to Austin. - P.H. on behalf of Gene M.

Reviewed 8 November 2017

The Omni is an excellent hotel (service, check-in, check-out). I was in Austin for a series of meetings and the boardroom and food/service were excellent. However, it is in dire need of upgrading. The hotel definitely needs new paint, artwork, carpets etc. Compared to other chains that are more modern and updated, this one needs work.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

We thank you for staying with us while in Austin for business. Your candid feedback is important to us and will help us to improve the areas that need attention. Again, thank you for choosing to stay with us. We hope you have the opportunity to return in the future. P.H. on behalf of Gene M.

Reviewed 6 November 2017

For the price I would recommend staying somewhere with more amenities. The location is great but there are so many great hotels near by that offer more. The hotel was quiet. You have to pay for parking.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 November 2017

It was the perfect place to celebrate a major birthday with a bunch of girlfriends. The rooms have a lot of space for a fun in room HH. The hotel could not have been better. This is my forth time at the Omni Austin and would come back!!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 November 2017

The Omni is a fine enough property, however, the booking and pricing are not. I booked for four nights, realizing an hour later that I needed to come in one day later. I called and was told this reservation was not changeable or refundable.. period! I was hooked, no flexibility. This was not during SXSW or any other event timing in Austin, just late fall. With overnight parking, bar and restaurant, and other pricing being exorbitantly high, there's no reason to spend more money at the hotel. Too many places to go out to and enjoy.. they need to realize there's more hotels coming on-line soon, they are not competitive right now and will not be going forward.

Reviewed 1 November 2017

I have been in the meeting rooms and lobby of the Omni in downtown Austin several times. This was my first time to stay at the hotel. The room was very comfortable and clean with a large walk in shower and a small balcony.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business