“Outstanding Restaurant”
Review of The Driskill

The Driskill
Ranked #27 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 27 April 2012

My wife and I just had the five course chef sampling. Each of the courses from the beet salad to the boar chop was superb. Maybe a bit salty but that may just reflect my own limited salt diet. Every dish really was a work of art with a wonderful array of tastes to match. The evening went so well from the valet parking ($7) to an enlightening conversation with one of the three sommeliers. It really is an excellent place to dine for a special occasion.

Room Tip: We only dined in the restaurant.

Reviewed 26 April 2012

Chose this hotel for its historic roots and location to the night life of Austin. If you prefer clone style chain, hotels, this will be a departure. It has the elegance, style and vibe that is authentic to hotels in the early to mid 1900's.

Front desk staff was super friendly and helpful. Everyone we encountered had that Texas super-friendly (but not cloyingly so) attitude that makes you feel welcome.

Pros:
Location to 6th street restaurants and nightlife
Absolutely beautiful interior fixtures and decor that fit the property
Top-notch service that fits the feel of the hotel
big windows and nice view
very comfortable beds, linens and bath area
I wanted to live in the bar area, it is so cool.
Valet parking is fast and friendly

Cons:

Just a little pricey
Some of the hallway carpet was a little grungy and looked like a couple of scenes from "The Shining"
Some claims of the place being haunted -we saw no ghosts.

We were there for a special occasion and the front desk staff were excited and pleased to offer an upgraded room. -That's a nice touch.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2012

The Hotel quoted us a rate and charged us double. The Manager would not help amend the bill, said there was nothing he could do. I've never been more mislead in my life. Horrible experience!!

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ryan w
JSS23, General Manager at The Driskill, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Ryan:
Thank you for your feedback. I'm quite sure that any rate/billing issues can be resolved. Please call my administrative assistant at 512-391-7058 so that we may assist in clearing up this matter.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed for 3 nights. We had a good room in the historic part of the hotel with a glimpse of 6th street. Not the biggest room we've stayed in for over $300 a night, but very comfortable. I had been concerned that it might be noisy in such a central location but this was not at all the case, and we slept very well. The public areas are really lovely, and staff are universally helpful and friendly. We would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Be sure to specify if you want to stay in the old part of the hotel as rooms of the same name can be...
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Attending a family wedding in Austin, we chose The Driskill as our base for a four-day weekend of festivities. It was perfect! We negotiated a block and filled nearly 20 rooms. Some were the basic room; others were Jr. Victorian Suites and one was the Bridal Suite.

The lovely, historic hotel is locaed just off the night hot-spot of 6th Street. There is valet parking, a bar, a very nice dining room for evening and the 1886 Cafe for meals all day long.

Courtesy and helpfulness are the hallmark of The Driskill staff. This hotel offer pure "old world" service. The hotel has lovely first-floor public spaces and there is ample space to sit comfortably.

Our room was the Junior Victorian Suite, with a queen-size bed (very comfy!), marble bath and living room (large enough for entertaining several friends).

We stayed on the quiet side of the hotel and slept beautifully. If possible I would not want to stay on the 6th street side. There is access to a porch overlooking Brazos Street, complete with rocking chairs and a great view for people-watching.

Finally, this historic hotel provided us a great place to stay, we could visit with family and friends, service was top-notch and we all have very special memories of staying there for our special wedding weekend. Even for a different trip to Austin, you can't go wrong here! I would think the least expensive room is still very worth the price, especially when you compare other downtown choices!

Room Tip: Unless you can sleep through an explosion, ask for a non-sixth-street room. The nightlife is loud a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I just stayed at the Driskill for our one year anniversary. I used to live in Austin, so I have been to the property many times without staying the night. I think you can get the feel for it just by going to the bar (one of the greatest bars in Austin in my opinion) and saving yourself $400+. I told the front desk that is was our anniversary and she put us in Room 402. Right by the elevator. I was up the next morning at 6 AM due to the commotion outside in the hallway (never able to get enough quiet to return to sleep) because of the activity in the hallway and elevator bank. Every time someone opened the door, said something, used the elevator, it was so loud that I thought someone was coming in our room. I am in my 30s (used to raucous and commotion) and I never usually complain. This was too much considering the reason I was staying. The front desk sent up some champagne and strawberries the night prior with a kind note. Very thoughtful. I just wish I was placed in a better room as I value peace and quiet much more!! It was $400 ill-spent. The building is absolutely stunning. I would just save my money and have a drink at the bar instead. Unless you want to spend much more on a suite and surely, those provide a little more R&R! Especially on such a special night for us. Great location in downtown Austin. The bed was to die for. I didn't want to get out except that it felt like I was sharing it with the entire 4th floor.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 402 in the tower (over the bar). It was small but very well-appointed. Request a ro...
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We spent Easter weekend at the Driskill this year and it was absolutely worth the money! The entire building is beautiful, historic and classy. The entire hotel staff was very professional and warm and friendly! The hotel bar is huge, comfortable and beautiful! The King size bed in our room was top of the line comfy! I can't say one bad word about The Driskill, well, one thing...I did not like paying the $28 per day mandatory valet service. But overall, everyone should take the time and money to experience a hotel like this, even if it you can only do it once in your life. Please do remember that all the rooms are different and have different layouts. I called and talked to a reservation specialist to make sure I knew exaclty what kind of room we were getting.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family