1,425 results
All reviews tasting room brabo restaurant terrace suite claw foot tub king street old town alexandria rain shower wine hour bathroom door complimentary wine mini bar dc area happy hour valet parking shops and restaurants front desk staff few blocks
Reviewed November 2, 2018

This property has to be one of the most darling boutique hotels I've had the pleasure of staying at. I'm surprised by the recent reviews because I stayed less than 3 months ago and found the staff to be pleasant and incredibly helpful. I really enjoyed the products for the bath and body in the guest room (Atelier Bloom) and the view I had was on the west corner of the hotel and was gorgeous.

There was a lot of light and life about my room and I quickly regretted leaving so soon for my next business trip (only stayed for 1 night) The room was incredibly spacious and decor was phenomenal.

Not to mention, I took the opportunity of the complimentary drink offer I received at check in and enjoyed a drink at their restaurant Brabo along with my meal. The drink I had was called La Bruja --perfect for entering into that festive Halloween mode and paired perfectly with the burger and fries I ordered. If my travels take me to Washinton again expect to see me again!

Room tip: Rooms on the west side of the building have a great view and are quiet
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed October 25, 2018

We chose to stay here since the other Kimpton property down the street had closed. We stayed here once previously and it was decent. This time, however, will be our last. The front desk staff are incredibly rude. (I see that there are other reviewers who found this to be the case as well) My husband and I walked into the hotel with our luggage to check in and the two men at the front desk looked at us as though our presence was an inconvenience. Eventually one of them offered to check us in. He was very pretentious. Our experience with the front desk staff throughout the rest of our stay was equally as poor. They do not acknowledge you. My husband and I walked in one evening and the woman at the desk never even looked up-- and it was just my husband and I in the lobby which is very small. In my opinion that is just incredibly poor customer service. I don't expect staff to fawn over us but a simple "Hello" or "Good Evening" or "How is your stay so far?" is just common courtesy. The valets, on the other hand, were the nicest people! Always pleasant and helpful. Even if we weren't getting our car and we just walked by they would smile and greet us, ask us about our stay. They were lovely! They can teach the people at the desk a thing or two about how to treat guests.
We ate at their restaurant the Brabo Tasting Room and it was one of the worst meals we've ever had with one of the most unpleasant waiters. It was almost comical.
The decor in the hotel is very stark and cold. Not very inviting. The rooms are dark, dingy, and bizarrely decorated. Very little natural lighting, it's like a cave. The bathroom was poorly lit and the shower curtain was dirty. (Depending on what type of room you get you may have a larger, well-lit bathroom with a tub and shower which is what we had the first stay.)
The a/c shuts off in the middle of the night. The only plus is the location on King Street. Close to the metro if you need it although we prefer to take an Uber into the city. It's faster.
All-in-all it was not a pleasant stay and we will not be going back.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelhome_42
Stephane V, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2018

Dear travelhome_42

Thank you so much for offering your candid feedback. Your experience truly has caught my attention as it is so far away from what we want to achieve. It always saddens us the hear about a bad experience and I would love if you could contact me directly so that I can make it right to you. I can be reached via email at stephane.vogel@kimptonhotels.com.
Thanks again so much for staying with us travelhome_42. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Stephane

Reviewed October 20, 2018

Boutique hotel in Old town Alexandria. The room is very modern. Clean decor and very "current" bathroom. This is thankfully not antique charm. Location on King street is very good. Close to everything. My only regret was getting a room with a mini window facing someone else's balcony. But I was there overnight. The central courtyard would be divine if the weather is nice. Check in and out was efficient. I arrived late after the restaurant closed and but was able to get food at the brasserie on site. The French menu was a problem for me personally but would be fine for most people. Help getting a car back to the airport was prompt. There are local stores and coffee places in easy walking distance.

Room tip: ask for a good window or balcony facing the courtyard.
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed October 18, 2018

We’ve stayed at many Kimpton hotels and always appreciated uniqueness. It was disappointing to find that this Kimpton hotel did not live up to the brand in terms of service or room quality. Desk staff were curt, unfriendly and not accodomating, brushing off and ignoring our request for a higher level room, which we made six months prior to arrival. The hotel appears to cater to conferences and business meetings, with little interest or attention to other guests traveling on their own. Lobby and lounge usually mobbed and noisy. We were treated as nonentities!

Room tip: Higher rooms are quieter and suites are best...other rooms tend to be small
Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear carrie g,

Thank you so much for your feedback. There are some keywords in your review that absolutely need our attention. Your comment regarding our brand identity is spot on and I would like to apologize for your sub par experience. I would love to hear from you so that I can address the issues you mentioned. I can be reached at stephane.vogel@kimptonhotels.com. I am looking forward to hearing from you and hopefully, have the opportunity to make it right.

Thank you for being a Kimpton fan carrie g.

Best,
Steph

Reviewed October 7, 2018

We decided to stay here in Alexandria because it was near to the Metro and we wanted to visit DC. The hotel turned out to be better than we expected, the room was very clean and everything seemed brand new. Our room overlooked the courtyard so was set well back from the road, consequently was quiet at night. We had booked a standard room but the room we actually got for the 3 nights we were there was larger than we were expecting. The shower in the bathroom was amazing equipped not only with a wall mounted shower but an overhead rain shower as well, having them on simultaneously was an experience! We did not eat at the hotel because of all the restaurants down by the river which were so tempting. This was a good choice for us, cheaper than hotels in central DC and within 5 mins walk to the Metro which got you directly to where all the sights are in about 15 mins.
Everyone on the front desk was very helpful and friendly and the car valet was quick and efficient. Alexandria by the way is a delight to visit.

Room tip: Try for a courtyard facing room, very quiet on a night
Date of stay: September 2018