“A home away from home”

Ranked #38 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Heidelberg
“A home away from home”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I attended a six week course and stayed in this hotel complex. My suite was almost as big as my last apartment in Germany. It's similar to a hotel by having daily maid service, while at the same time, as an apartment in the fact that it's fully furnished. There also is a completely stocked kitchen, with a stove, refrigerator, microwave and a four piece place serving, including an adequate number of cooking utensils. The staff was completely dedicated to caring for the residents. There's also a free shuttle service that will take you to the nearest Metro station. That translates to having the entire D.C. area within walking distance of your hotel, even though you are away from the "maddening crowd". I would recommend this hotel to anyone, especially those new to the area and are looking for a permanent place to live. As I said earlier, Linda and her staff are great!

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise, the lounge is on the second floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank vipp6
MikeBarberGM, General Manager at Washington Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Thank you for letting us know about your stay here at the Washington Suites Alexandria. Being away from home for 6 weeks is certainly a long time and we work hard to ensure that you are comfortable when you are our guest. We have alot of experience with longer stays such as yours. I have passed on your kind words to the staff and Linda in particular. We look forward to your next visit but hopefully you won't have to be away from home for so long.

Mike Barber

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Reeseville, WI
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Our family (eight people) visited the D.C. area and stayed at Washington Suites in Alexandria in January 2012. It was one of the best experiences we have ever had at any hotel. First, the people were all very helpful. We got to known Gina after she began greeting us at breakfast every morning. She gave us helpful advice and the kids really enjoyed talking to her each morning. The ladies that took care of the breakfast room were great too. They were very friendly and helped the younger kids with their food. BTW - the breakfast spread was extensive for a continental breakfast and the quality was excellent. The shuttle drivers were all very nice as well (esp. George in the mornings!).

The two bedroom suite we had was perfect for our large family. With the full kitchen (yes, even an oven and dishwasher) we saved money by making our dinner meals at the hotel. The beds were VERY comfortable and there was a TON of room in the suite. There were TV's in three different rooms (great for letting the kids entertain themselves). Both of the two bathrooms were put to good use too! Everything was very clean and well kept. Housekeeping kept everything fully stocked for us.

The only drawbacks were that we had to pay $24.95 for a week of higher speed internet that was kind of slow. The guest laundry (the machines use tokens which are available in the same room) was kind of pricey. Finally, the kitchen was missing some of the pans, spatulas, plates, and bowls. We just picked up a cheap set of cookie sheets at the local Walmart and we were good-to-go.

This was definitely one of our best experiences - we have had our share of bad ones elsewhere. We recommend Washington Suites to any family looking for a comfortable place to stay and relax after long hard days of walking around Washington D.C. I should also mention that the free shuttle service to and from the nearby Metro stop (about five minutes away) was also very helpful. We were able to park our vehicle for the entire week (for free) and ride the Metro into and out of the city.

Room Tip: We had a room on the fifth floor facing the street and it was quiet. This was also the same floor a...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Curt G
Curt G, We are glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay at the Washington Suites Alexandria. The two bedroom suite is the perfect unit for a family. With two separate bedrooms and two separate bathrooms, it makes getting ready to go out that much quicker. I have shared your kind words with both George Mensah, our long time shuttle driver, and Gina Hodges, our sales manager.

As you mentioned, the room on the fifth floor was quiet. WIth the installation our new energy savings windows, the added bonus was the additional noise abatement.. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we look forward to seeing you and your family again.

Mike Barber
Texas City, Texas
Reviewed 5 January 2012

This hotel is one of the best to stay an the Restaurant is great the cook jesus will make it for you if it not on there menu. The rooms are huge

• Stayed April 2011
3 Thank sfccastro
MikeBarberGM, General Manager at Washington Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, 19 January 2012
Thank you for your comments. I am gald that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. I have passed on your comments to the restaurant and to Jesus. The restaurant is very accommodating and does work to ensure that their patrons are satisfied. I have seen on a number of occassions special dishes that are not on the menu going out of the kicthen.

Again, thank you for your comments.
Massapqequa NY
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We stayed 2 nights in a suite with a complete kitchen in Dec. 2011. The rooms themselves were large and nice. Beware though, if your room is next to someone else who perfers to use the kitchen rather then eat out. The stove is not vented to the exterior of the building thus the oder from whatever is cooking will enter your room through the inside vents. Whatever they were preparing smelled disgusting (greasy and spicy.) We actually had to ask for a can of air freshener and open the room windows it was so bad. The staff was very accommodationg and did try to correct the problem the next day but again, our next door neighbors decide to eat in again. The hallways also smell from what ever nasty food is being cooked. The staff is very efficient and accommodating and the shuttle was great.

Room Tip: choose a floor without stoves.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Joanne H
Thank you for your review. We do have very large suites with full kicthens. While the stoves are not vented, the kitchens themselves are. As you mentioned, if someone prepares a very aromatic dish, the aromas may at times exit the suite. One of the great benefits to all suite hotels with kitchens is the ability to save money and time by eating in your suite. Most all suite hotels with kitchens do experience similar siutations with aromas escaping the suite. I am glad that you found the staff accommodating and helpful.

Again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again.
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 26 December 2011

very dirty! horrible room conditions,
I had to stay there for work and I was afraid the whole time! lots of noise from the middle eastern people. the kids run the halls until all hours of the night. I called security and they sent up the maintenance man who did nothing but give me dirty looks!
horrible bed very uncomfortable!
dirty room dirty bathroom
smells like mold in the whole place

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank noidea7
Port Washington, New York
Reviewed 5 December 2011

I never would have expected to find such a comfortable and convenient hotel at such a great price for a weekend visiting various DC-area relatives. We paid about $70 per night on Hotwire. My companion and I were baffled by the size of our suite--we actually requested a smaller one! Huge kitchenette (well stocked with dishes/tools) and a separate living room, large flat screen TVs in every room, and an enormous king size bed. The bathroom was pretty small though (but had very nice towels and toiletries). Everything was very clean. The bed was a little lumpy, but had nice pillows. The couch was ugly, but we were pretty amazed to even have a couch! Our only real complaint was that there was no wifi, only an Ethernet cable which didn't give a strong Internet connection.
We were happy with the size of the fitness center (lots of machines and cardio equipment, but they need some mats for stretching on the floor) and the free breakfast had a good variety of fruit, yogurt, pastries and make your own waffles. The lobby has coffee, tea, and computers available. Staff is friendly. Free parking was plentiful, and the area felt quiet and safe, convenient to the highway. We hope to come back here sometime!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank flyermontana
Thank you for your kind words about Washington Suites Alexandria. As you mentioned, the suites are indeed very large. We have some of the largest suites in the area. We offer a number of amenities that our guests appreciate such as 42 inch HD TV's with HD programming, the free continental with a make your own waffle station. We offer Caribou Coffee in the breakfast room as well. A

Again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again.
Victoria
Reviewed 5 December 2011

This hotel is an all suites hotel and by suite they do mean suite. Larger than most one bedroom apartments, the living space in these rooms is absolutely huge. There is a full kitchen, a very large living room, big screen TV's in both the living room and the bedroom. Staff were very friendly and accommodating and the shuttle drivers in particular were helpful, prompt and courteous. The shuttle service to local restaurants and the nearby Landmark mall is a great added value.

Rooms are clean and in good working order. The bed was remarkably comfortable and a pleasant surprise. The bathroom was small and very dated but with adequate light, a good supply of hot water and OK linens. Hallway noise for me was not a problem but I was at the very end of a hall and I could hear others farther down at times. I did not hear any water noise.

I would have given this hotel 3.5 stars if I could have, but the breakfast room was like having breakfast at the local bowling alley under full overhead lighting. A zero for atmosphere. There was a good selection of breads and pastries, no eggs or breakfast meats. The food is oddly laid out, and the hot waffle station (which would have been fun) was hidden at a far end where it looked like it was part of a staff area. Easy to miss and I only found it after a bagel was already in a toaster.

My major problem with this hotel was with the "restaurant and bar" on the second floor. Travelling alone and meeting colleagues the next day, I thought I would stop in for a light dinner and a drink. Very very big mistake. Oddly located on the second floor with no signage to direct you to the restaurant, one has to follow the noise. You enter through a small door (no doubt a previous room door) and find yourself staring at the bar patrons as you have walked into the smallish set of rooms obviously refurbed into a restaurant and bar, rather than purpose built. Awkward. The room is well equipped with large screen TV's for watching sports, but is too brightly lit to be comfortable and fun. The venue is small and it is impossible to go unnoticed while dining alone on a business trip. (most of us like to blend at least a little)

On the evening I visited, my evening was terminated by a small contingent of very very drunk and very very out of control individuals who were obviously very well known to the bar staff. This group clearly had the run of the bar, screamed obscenities (I do mean screamed and I do mean obscene) and literally hurled themselves around the bar. The last straw that had me asking for my drink to go and deciding against ordering any dinner occurred when three of the young men attempted without success to put each other into "choke holds". This went on less than 2 feet from my table and no attempt was made by either of the bar staff to limit this behavior in any way. Rather the whole crew was given more drinks. One of the bar staff repetitively told one of the drunkest that he "would be driving him home, AGAIN", obviously this is not a new event.

There is little doubt that if the management does not know about this behavior, they should be paying more attention. While local flavor is always a good thing to encounter and likely pays most of the bills at this location's bar, for hotel guests travelling on business who just want to grab a quick bite and a drink, being subjected to this sort of thing with no control by the staff on duty simply feels unsafe. This situation must be rectified immediately or I suspect all hotel patron attendance at the bar will be lost. It is one thing to depend on the locals for your revenue and quite another to be highjacked by them. This was Sunday night activity, I can't imagine what Friday and Saturday hold.

So, skip the bar and restaurant, go outside the hotel to spend your discretionary funds and just enjoy your large room. Sorry Washington Suites, but being able to relax and have dinner or a drink without incurring taxi fares or taking a shuttle is an important part of business travel life, and your bar is anything but a welcoming oasis. Since I got the distinct impression that this was not a one off, you lost a point and my stay went from pretty good to having to actively seek other bar and restaurant facilities when I would have stayed in.

Room Tip: Ask for the end of the hall to limit passerby noise.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank heeler1
Thank you for your comments. I appreciate the kind words about the hotel suites and services. The rooms are indeed very large. I will pass on your comments to hotel shuttle drivers as well. Thank you for your comments about the breakfast room. The breakfast room is indeed large. During the summer season, the large size is needed as many families visit the hotel. I will pass on your comments to the Breakfast Room manager.

I have passed on your comments to the managers of the restaurant. The type of behavior that you described is just not acceptable. I have been assured that this review has been shared with the staff and that this type of incident will not occur again.

Again, thank you for comments and we hope to see you back again.