“Second stay not so great”

The Westin Alexandria
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Lake Forest, Illinois
“Second stay not so great”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I revisited this hotel recently and was surprised by some housekeeping issues as well as staff attitude. In general, the hotel is what you'd expect from any hotel but is very overpriced for what is offered in my opinion. There is an additional fee for everything, internet, water, etc. Hours for the pool are extremely limited and the young woman working as lifeguard has limited English and there seemed always to be mechanical difficulties in the pool area.

Housekeeping: I stayed for 3 nights. During my stay the same debris remained in the hallway for my entire stay on the 5th floor. Strands of dental floss and paper littered my hallway as well as glassware left outside guest's rooms . . . for 4 days. In addition, our room was stocked for one guest and I was traveling with my husband. I called to explain the situation and to ask for more items (towels, soap, hangers, luggage stand). Unfortunately, I had to make this request every single day! In addition, housekeeping did not make up our room until very late in the afternoon and was inevitably knocking on the door when we were trying to get ready for evening engagements after long, hot days spent shopping and sightseeing. One housekeeper informed my husband that they only worked until 5:00 p.m. and if we weren't out our room would not be cleaned.

Front desk: From check-in to help with directions, luggage, transportation the front desk staff was very aloof and unhelpful. On one occasion I waited in line with four people in front of me and watched the only front desk worker disappear repeatedly, leaving us all standing without explanation. When it was finally my turn, he took a very long time to look up from his computer screen and told me "Excuse me, I'll be right back" and disappeared once again for several minutes. Needless to say I was pretty annoyed by that time.

I personally won't be back to this Starwood property.

Room Tip: Location is a few blocks to transportation (Metro) which is convenient but the walk to Old Town Alex...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RedBuddah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
USA
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stayed today with family and friends for Memorial day, for two days with family and friends. A few notes to help the fellow traveler.
Distant from the main attractions on King street, but close enough to the METRO station and trolley.
The METRO station is a five minute walk, that will connect you to ALL the DC attractions, without foregoing DC prices. The trolley just outside the METRO station will allow travels on King street to the waterfron and back.
The hotel will shuttle you to the airport or King street if asked. METRO fare was $2.40 pp, on the weekend, and $3.40 all other times.
Breakfast was achieved at a local diner, named table talk, a 5 minute walk from hotel. Pricing was cheap with great food quality.
We had dinner at the highly rated Vaso's Greek restaurant, near the waterfront, pricing and the food quality was oustanding, especially the meatballs!
Landini brothers was the next stop for dinner last night, again no suprises, with great quality, but short on quantity of appetizers.
The local restaurant bar and grill in the Westin hotel was empty both nights, due to the steep prices. Breakfast at this place was a minmum of 15 dollars per dish, for eggs!!!! Really??? The bar was also expensive, so we branched over to Joe Theisman's a short walk for great wings and beer, far cheaper than the hotel.
Yes the hotel was clean, with attention given to detail and cleanliness. It also is a pet hotel, so bring the family pet, as I witnessed several dogs parading thru the lobby.
The pool is barely 10 x10, very small, but the gym is awesome with several newer model cardio machines.
Towels were provided by the hotel. Late checkout was allowed for starwood members. Plenty of cabs outside the hotel, cost to the waterfront for four was $12.
Parking on the street is metered, and free on the weekends, way cheaper than the $25 valet option the hotel offers. Have a great stay!

2 Thank Hrima
Ohio
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Wifey and I stayed at the Westin during the Memorial Day weekend and must what we say? It rarely gets any better than this. From the time you step into the lobby, the wonderful aroma transforms you and makes you realize this is a special place with people who will treat you special.

It begins with the doormen and bellhops who are always smiling and willing to lend a hand. The check-in is quite welcoming and the rooms are excellent with all the necessary toiletries and of course the famous “heavenly bed”. The Westin stock the rooms with high quality teas and Starbucks coffees, so for the early risers, you are taken care of.

We had breakfast one morning and it was delicious and well prepared. We also enjoyed cocktails and appetizers in the bar and had a wonderful time conversing with our bartender.

Our Concierge, John Johnson, is one of the finest and most respected in the industry. Not only does he recommend quality restaurants and locales, but John goes the extra step by ensuring you receive VIP treatment when you arrive at your destination point. Our hats off to John!

Then there is the shuttle driver, Teesfat Tesfal, who takes you into Old Town Alexandria and provides an impromptu tour of the city and some of the lesser-known historic sites. We were quite impressed with his enthusiasm knowledge.

Though we travel frequently, we only write reviews when we believe other TripAdvisors should be made aware of places that provide exemplary service. Clearly, the Westin Alexandria stands out as one of the best in this category.

We should also note that we have stayed at four and five-star boutique hotels in the area with “higher” ratings and will make the Westin Alexandria our new home there. Our thanks to the Assistant GM, Mete, for such a wonderful time!

Room Tip: Since the hotel is only a few blocks from the Metro, we recommend using the metro to go into DC for...
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Booked this hotel through Hotwire at a discounted rate for a short trip to D.C. Well, a word of caution for all ya deal chasers: when you pick a true 4-star hotel (as in this case) whatever you save in room rates you'll lay out for expensive meals and parking.

The class of the hotel shows by its scent - and a very nice one, spa-like, in this case. An elaborate lobby, professional staff, check-in took no more than 2 minutes.

Vallet service was not that nimble - guys couldn't sort out at first who exactly would have the honor of parling my car, and started arguing not only between themselves but also with me - but nothing of a major concern.

The room was average size, neat; toiletries were not of a cheap kind, which was pleasant. Rather large beds, plenty of pillows, TV system with movies-on-demand. Make sure you ask for the key to the mini-bar.

The food was okay but nothing extraordinary. Room service was prompt.

The location is very convenient: about 15 minutes by car from the Mall.

Guys at the front desk were courteous enough to let me use their own recharger for my phone (by the way, they have a whole bunch of them for various phone types, specifically for guests - but in my case there was no matching jack).

All in all, a very positive experience.

1 Thank lubger
Knoxville
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Our family enjoyed staying here during our visit to Mount Vernon. The rooms were very nice and super comfortable and clean. It is everything you expect from a Westin. The kids enjoyed the indoor pool. The shuttle service to/from Old Town was great too! Our driver was very helpful and very nice.

Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Courteous and helpful staff, great ambience and a very comfortable room and bed. Location is good.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I just attended a conference held at the Westin Alexandria and stayed there for two days with zero complaints. Check in and check out was a breeze with two desk staff on duty, even though it was not a busy time of day so there was no wait. My room was quite spacious, very clean and well-appointed. The bed and linens were excellent and I especially appreciated the triple-sheeting so that there was no contact with the duvet - just clean, crisp sheets. Good in-room air system - quiet and keep the at a comfortable temperature.

This attractive hotel is located in what looked like a "planned" and relatively new neighborhood with mixed use businesses and government buildings, condos, etc. I think it works well - with lots of green space, sidewalks, restaurants, two Starbucks (one just steps from the Westin), and a Whole Foods within walking distance. It looked like Old Town was close enough to walk to or take a short cab ride. There is a Metro stop nearby also.

My experience with staff was more positive than some of my fellow reviewers. I had a minor problem with the room and the manager handled it well and went the extra step to introduce me to the desk person who would be on duty all night in case I needed anything further. The valets were busy but efficient and pleasant. I had an all-around enjoyable experience with the staff of the Westin.

A good place for a business trip - I would stay here again, and would consider it for a pleasure trip to D.C.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business