“Overall Good Hotel”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria
Ranked #27 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 25 March 2015

Good location, shuttle to airport and Old Town, $20 to park, decent bar with board games, only had breakfast, dine in and room service, ok food, better than coffee perks down the street, used the pool at the Holiday Inn - indoor outdoor pool, nice rooms with comfy beds, walk to Harris Tweeter and Trader Joes, don't think you can beat this price.

Room Tip: Even a river view is just ok, not every room on the 9th floor is a river view like the desk clerk sa...
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 March 2015

Overall the hotel is nice. Rooms are clean. Heat/Air conditioner was not working in either room and would drop in temp over night. Rooms on corners have very small bathrooms but all had great shower heads, great pressure. Had to change room to get two beds vice one and the double beds are small. All you can eat breakfast if pricey ($16.95) if it doesn't come with rate.
Location is in walking distance from old town (few blocks) and directly next to tennis courts and small playground. If you are on the back side of hotel you can see and hear the aircraft coming into DCA.
Hotel shuttle runs to airport every 30 mins and you can catch the metro there to go downtown.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have small bathroom (door hits knees when sitting)
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2015

Dear 1Gl0balTraveler,

Thank you for your comments and review of your recent stay with us. We again apologize for any inconvenience you may have suffered. We strive towards the goal that each guest has a great overall experience. We apologize you had issues that took away from you having an exceptional stay. Please in the future we hope you return and if there is anything during your stay you are not pleased with, please bring it to our attention we would love to make your experience with us a great one. We hope that you would allow us the opportunity to serve your needs better.

Reviewed 20 March 2015

I stay in the DC area a lot and sometimes end up outside of town cuz I can't score a room anywhere else. I'm not too picky, but I'm also not wowed too easy. I never leave reviews because business travel is just that - a bed, a tv, a shower, see ya.

This place stands out. It was just bad. I can get over the blah decor and ho-hum amenities. But this place just had too many little weirdnesses to ignore.

- Service. While the late night dudes that checked me in were perfectly nice, the guy on subsequent nights was bad. I had a couple super easy questions and he just couldn't be bothered - to look up, answer, give a hoot.

- Broken stuff. One of the two outlets in the bedside lamp didn't work. The toilet ran off and on the whole time I was there. The vending machine was broken (and when I asked the aforementioned late night desk guy, he indicated that was typical - maybe a note on the thing so people don't waste their time wouldn't be too much trouble?).

- Sloppy housekeeping. I hate to rag on housekeepers. I know they don't get paid much! I blame their supervisors for the genuinely perplexingly haphazard housekeeping. Basically, they made the bed. That's all. They didn't clean/replace any glassware. Or tidy the bathroom. Or clean the coffeemaker (or replace the used supplies - I actually only had coffee one day because they never replaced the coffee kit).

None of this is the worst thing in the world. I survived and all! No big. But I definitely wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank MrsAndiron
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2015

Dear MrsAndirion,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. We also thank you for choosing us. Your comments are taken seriously. We are sorry you were completely disappointed with your overall experience during your stay with us. We apologize if our staff service was not exemplary. We are currently getting a capital plan formed to make the necessary improvements to refresh our hotel, so that our guest can have an overall great experience. We do thank you for comment and hope you would consider returning to give us a second opportunity to serve you and accomplish our goal to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 17 March 2015

I have never stayed at this hotel but my 4 friends and I eat lunch here on Saturdays after art class nearby. We have had to eat here in the past because the dining out options in this area are limited but the last time we did, we said never again. In spite of the fact that the restaurant is never crowded (we are usually the only table) the service is horrendous. It takes forever to get the lone waitress to eventually come to our table, start to take our order, remember she forgot something, comes back, takes our order without writing any of it down, disappears and eventually brings our drinks. When the orders arrive, they are wrong. Then, getting her to come back was difficult because she completely disappeared. When we wanted our check - after 2-1/2 hours at the table, we had to go to the back of the restaurant to find her. This is not our first experience with poor service. The food is relatively good but it's like they just don't care if the wait staff does their job or not. Actually, no one would ever know if we didn't complain.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank lfulton_123

Dear lfulton_123,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. Receiving your constructive comments such as yours helps where we can work harder to serve, assist and accommodate our guest better. We are sorry our restaurant didn't maintain the service you would have expected. We train our staff to exceed our guest's expectations. We apologize that we were sub par in serving you. Thank you for sharing your views and experience with us and thanks for choosing us, we hope you will return that we may better serve you.

Reviewed 12 March 2015

Background:
I stay in a hotel in the DC area once a week. I book these hotels through a hotel discount site. All these hotels are very nice – 3 stars at the minimum. As far as I’m concerned, there are no major differences in any of them. But there are plenty of minor ones – little things that really count.
So I’ve decided to start writing reviews based on the ‘Little Things’ I care about [Note: The first four reviews were called 'Frills', but I like this title better].
Unless otherwise noted, all hotels have reasonably pleasant staff, basic amenities, an on-site restaurant, reasonably responsive elevators, free internet in the lobby but not in the room, and a workout room with water, towels, free weights, and general equipment (Bosu balls, matts, etc.). I generally don’t use the swimming pool or order room service so they generally won’t be rated.
I am a tough grader. I use a 10 point system because I don’t think 5 stars is enough. To get a 10 the hotel would have to be truly outstanding. A 9 is excellent, and an 8 or 7 means I was completely satisfied but there is room for improvement. A 6 is borderline and a 5 means it didn’t meet expectations. From there things go downhill to a 1 which is truly awful.
Location ratings are based on proximity to Metro and to restaurants or other points of interest. I personally enjoy walking, but will base my rating on inclement weather.
Room reviews will be based on the basic room I was provided. I expect them to be clean, relatively quiet, have a decent television with some HD (why aren’t they all?) and at least one premium channel (which will be noted). The other things I care about are the shower, the climate control system, and outlet availability. I don’t use the alarm clock so I’ll only note if the staff did not check to make sure the alarm was off before leaving the room.
I do not do RANT reviews – if I have an unusual bad experience that I feel was probably random, I’ll either note it in the review, but more likely I’ll just refrain from writing a review that time. If it’s serious enough that I decide to contact the hotel management, I’ll wait to write the review until I receive a response – unresponsiveness is inexcusable and will be reflected in my reviews.
REVIEW:
Location: Below average – A mile walk from the Braddock Road City metro station. There is a shuttle that runs every 30’ that stops at the Holiday Inn first and then goes to the DCA Metro station [It would have been nice to have shuttle information posted on the web-site, at the front desk, and in the room. One of the top 5 Alexandria restaurants is close by. The area itself is very nice and my room had a nice view.
Restaurant: Above Average – The Railstop Gastropub has happy hour from 3 to 6 with $5 rail drinks, beer, and wine. The wine wasn’t good, but the pour was generous. I had the house hamburger which was good and filling for $10 (limited Happy Hour food selection). Other prices looked reasonable. The only negative was the Port City Chocolate Porter I was looking forward to trying on draft was not available and the bartender said it hasn’t been for some time.
Fitness Center: Average – 6 aerobics machines (4 treadmills, 3 bikes, 3 cross-trainers), and a fitness area with free weights and basic equipment.
Television: Above Average – Decent sized TV and they don’t try to sell you anything! I tried to find pay channels out of curiosity and there didn’t appear to be anything. No on-screen guide but one was provided in the room [HBO (2)].
Shower: Average – Standard head was 78 inches high.
Climate Control: Average – Digital Thermostat controlling a heat pump unit.
Outlets: Very Good – Table lamps had an outlet built in (though one wasn’t working) and
Other: Free Internet in your room if you’re an IHG member – and it’s free to join.
There are at least three elevators in the hotel. They were very efficient, though the hotel seemed not to be doing a lot of business.
This was an odd experience. The heat in the hallways was at least 85° all through the evening. The bathroom fan cover was hanging loose. The heat was off in the workout club and the water cooler was empty (though I was able to fix both). There just seem to be a general malaise about the staff the brought my rating down.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
3  Thank Rewrite
Reviewed 2 March 2015

Wow, I have to start off by saying I am astounded by the lack of intelligence in the other reviews...some people are complaining about the weather when they stayed at this hotel. Blaming the weather on the hotel? Really?? I guess some people just aren't the brightest of the bunch!

Anyways, I stayed at this hotel because of a cancelled flight. I've never even heard of Alexandria before, but I'm always up for an adventure! I called the front desk several times to make sure that the free shuttle from the hotel to the airport was on its way, and every time the staff was very kind and willing to put up with my paranoia! Haha. The shuttle driver quickly got me to the hotel, and the front staff was as kind and friendly as I expected. He even informed me of the free wifi service that the hotel offered, which required the most simple and painless sign up (no credit card needed! I was sold!!!). I was able to Skype home from my room, and that was wonderful.

The room itself was wonderful. I have an incredible view of the river, and the bed was absolutely fantastic. The bathroom even had a mat in the bathtub to prevent slippage; I've never seen that in a hotel before!

After a while, I started to get hungry, and went down to the front desk and ask if there were nearby restaurants. He said there were a few, but I could use the hotel's free shuttle service to take me to downtown Alexandria where there were a lot more options. He told me when they left, how often, and the pick-up location; super convenient! So I went for it, and took the shuttle several blocks south towards King Street. It was a quick drive, and the street was absolutely gorgeous. I had my pick of restaurants, and it was a lovely experience! Afterwards I went to the pick-up location and waited. The pick-up time came and went, and I called the front desk and asked if I was in the right location. Apparently I wasn't (my fault!!), but I told him where I was, and the shuttle came and found me, no problems. I'm definitely grateful for that!

I had a lovely night's sleep, and the next morning check out was less than 10 seconds. The shuttle took me safely and soundly to the airport, leaving me with an absolutely lovely Alexandria experience.

All in all, it was an unexpected adventure, but completely worth it. All thanks to Crowne Plaza. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
4  Thank MayflowerTravels
Reviewed 25 February 2015

I stayed here for one night when my flight was cancelled. I chose this hotel because it had an airport shuttle and I had a 6am flight from DCA. Turns out the shuttle doesn't start until 5am for guests, so I had to take a taxi.

The beds were really hard, and while the weather was atrociously cold, the bedding was very thin. I ended up pulling the sheets off the other bed and doubling up so I wouldn't freeze. As well as there was a spot light from the building across the street that shown directly into my room and was visible around the blackout curtains.

The hotel says it's in Old Town, but that is a stretch. It is very near old town, and if anything on the northern boarder, but I still had to take a taxi to get to a decent dinner.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Lisa R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2015

Dear Lisa R,

Thank you for taking time to write your review about our hotel. We’re very sorry that the bed and heating unit set up was a let down. We will address these concerns. I assure you that the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Dianne L.