“Good location to visit Washington, despite some minors flaws”

Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Courthouse Plaza
Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I really liked the room size and the location of this Garden, though I found a dirty sock of another guest (?) forgotten behind the bed, on the floor. I spent all my time sightseeing in Washington so I used the nearby subway station very often to short trip to the main sights, almost always without the need of a train change. I think this place is a better option than staying in Washington because you can get a better price there and also find a lot of small and affordable places to dinner when you return at night. I even went to Washington by bike on a night; there's a public bike rental just across the metro station, though I have to find that out by myself because the misinformed lady in the front desk could only say that there was no such service nearby and it would be closed anyway. Well, it's very close, there's a bike trail to Washington, and it's open all the time, since it's a self-rental system. The paid breakfast at the hotel was very good as well.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
GMHGIA, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Courthouse Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2012

Tahnk you for reviewing our hotel after your recent visit. We appreciate the feedback regarding your stay. I am disspaointed to learn of the personal items left behind in yoru room but have reviewed with our houskeeping team as a training tool. Our hotel does boastw a great location and a friendly team. I will also reach out to the front desk and inform them of the new rental bike station available across from the metro. This is a nice opetion for guests who would like to bike around the community.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review our hotel. We are looking forward to your return in the future,

Reviewed 8 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in November. It is about 1 1/2 blocks from the courthouse metro station on the orange line. Yes, the hotel decor is dated,but it was very clean. My room was on the 8th floor and I thought the street noise was minimal.The hotel allowed me to check in early which I really appreciated. I had the newer pillow top bed which was very comfortable.
There is a coffee maker,hairdryer and iron in the room. Also internet is free to guests.My only suggestions would be that a magnified mirror and a bathroom vent would be nice.
On Sat morning there is a flea market across the street. there are several restaurants(subway,sports bar,5 guys burger,pizza etc...) within 4 blocks. There is also a small movie theatre in the courthouse plaza.
The metro ride is about 15 min to the Smithsonian stop. Trains run about every 10-15 min during the week and about every 20-30 min on the weekend.
I paid about half the price of a downtown DC hotel. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have less street noise
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo

thank you for taking the time to complete a review regarding your recent stay. I am pleased that you found the hotel a good value. I hope to see you in the near future. We are in the process of completing a full renovation of the hotel including guest rooms that will update the appearance. i renovation will include full renovation of guest rooms and public space including new beds in the guest rooms.

We hope to see you again soon. thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel.

Reviewed 8 January 2012

This hotel isn't fancy but it had everything we needed and was in a great location - all for a great price.

Room Tip: Our only complaint was that the room was quite warm.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your brief review of our hotel during your recent stay. We hope to see you again in the future. Our porperty is undergoing a full renovation which will include complete guest room renovation and all public space.

Until completion we will do our best to continue to offer our friendly, clean and well maintained service to our loyal guests such as yourself.

Thanks again for the response. We hope to see you soon.

Gary gray

Reviewed 8 December 2011

I've stayed at this hotel off and on for several years and have always been happy with it . . . good location, good restaurants in the area, quiet and usually a good experience with the front desk staff. Unfortunately there are several things that need to be address soon in terms of maintenance . . . in paticular the beds. The memory foam is worn out so you end up sleeping in a hole. The comforters are in need of replacement as well. The workout area needs help too; the belts slip on the treadmills and the audio for headphones doesn't work on the elipticals. I will be happy to provide a more positive review after these items have been addressed as well as those listed in other reviews.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for providing feedback regarding yoru December visit to our hotel. We do pride ourselves on our friendly service and keeping our hotel clean. We are also very pleased to announce we have started a complete renovation of the property to be completed in late Spring of 2012. We currently have some renovated rooms completed with new guest bedding and will also be replacing our fitness cneter and equipment with the new designated PRECOR fitness as outlined by Hilton.

We do hope you come back to experience our finished product and welcome all comments on every stay.

Thanks again for providing us with your feedback. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 25 November 2011

I love the location because it's close to the metro, restaurants and my family! It's usually more expensive than similar properties and I'm not sure why. This time though I was able to get a good rate. I wish they had a free continental breakfast but they do have free coffee and tea.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Close to the METRO, it was quiet, safe & close to many places to eat.

The staff made this excellent hotel even better - Greg & Sheila (and I forget the other gentleman's name - I think it was Melvin? sorry!!!) were an absolute delight!!!!! Our last night was spent talking to them about Australia (we were going to have an early night BUT got carried away & enjoyed talking too much). Even when confronted by some rather hostile guests, Greg & Sheila were still extremely pleasant, helpful & professional - I hope they get the recognition they deserve!

We spent 4 nights here so we could explore DC. Rooms were spotless. HUbby loved the fact that there was a gym here so we could take an hour away from each other

On our 3rd night there, we were woken by the fire alarm at 5am so that was a shock. Thank God it was only a false alarm as all of our goodies were left in the room and being on the top floor having a bad leg, I found the trip down the stairs a bit taxing. Because of this, we were given a free breakfast.

MMMMMM, the breakfasts!!!! Im not a big brekky person BUT damn!! It was delish! Made to order omelettes at the Great American Grill which were the best I have ever had!!!!!

We loved it here! Found the people of DC to be wonderful

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2011

This hotel is very convenient for the tube line into central Washington. The location is fine with some nice restaurants and bars close by. The Irish bar is great because it shows Premiership football live and serve Guiness. The hotel is clean and tidy. Ask for a room on the backside to avoid road noise. Two downsides;
1. The toilets have a wierd flushing system which can be heard in the adjacent rooms so all night long when other guests use the loo you can hear the flush!
2. At the end of each long coridoor leading to the rooms there are AC units which run continuously. Some are in need of maintenance and are incredibly noisy. The room doors tend to eliminate the AC noise but the loos...... argh

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the backside of the hotel and one or two room in from the end to avoid the rattle...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business