“very accommodating!”

Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
New Haven, Connecticut
“very accommodating!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

My husband and 10 year-old daughter visited the D.C. area during spring vacation and chose the Doubletree for good rates and hotel services, i.e. restaurants, pool, fitness center. We were very happy with the accommodations - very clean and staff were friendly. I had contacted the manager prior to our visit to confirm that the pool (which was under repair in March) would be available and found his responsiveness quite exceptional with a personal e-mail and.....a tin of the yummy chocolate chip cookies that are a signature treat upon arrival at the hotel. The manager wrote a personal note thanking us for staying at The Doubletree - it doesn't get much better than that. The only disappoint for our family was discovering upon returning home that I had left the tin of cookies on the AMTRAK train - secretly we had all been looking forward to eating those yummy cookies upon our return. We would definitely be returning to the Doubletree Crystal City hotel and next time will buy ourselves a tin of those cookies!

Room Tip: consider an upgrade to the king suite in the north tower - well worth it and a very comfy.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Thank you for the review. I am glad to read you had such a nice stay. I appreciate you contacting me prior to your arrival as I really enjoy hearing from people that read my responses. I will contact you today about sending out a replacement tin of cookies! However, we do hope you return soon to enjoy some more. Thankfully the pool is reopened and your family was able to enjoy it.

Thank you again for the review and as always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Henderson, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

We booked a balcony suite overlooking the Potomac for an extended weekend in April, 2012. We took the train and arrived early - about 11:30 and thought we'd try to check in. The room wasn't cleaned and we were directed to return after 1:30 (check in is officially 3pm). This was expected so we checked our bags and went into DC to see an exhibit. We returned at 4:30. The hotel is being remodeled so things were a bit chaotic. There was a line at registration and 2 people in the regular line and one in the HHonors line. After a short wait it was our turn. The registrar explained that she had requested updates from housekeeping but could not determine is any of our room types were cleaned and ready. She called again and when she did not receive an answer, she called someone from the back office. By now, we had several people all calling many other people to try to find a room. We were told that we would receive the first cleaned room of the type we requested. After a good bit of time, a room was found on the 14th floor and we were given keys and comped breakfast for our trouble. I wish I had her name as she was professional and helpful. We got to our room and met a woman from housekeeping. She was still bringing in towels and led the way into the room. She saw that there was a large table and chairs in the living room portion of the room and questioned if we had ordered it. We had not, and she said she would call for someone to take it out. We noticed that the room only had one easy chair and ottoman - no other place to sit. The housekeeper said she'd get someone to bring something else - a couch or chair so we both could sit in the same room. Sometime later, a man came to the room with a desk chair! We sent it away. Housekeeping returned with hand towels and said she would call again. My husband went to the lobby and the only manager that was found was Brian from food and beverage. He came and looked and said that he would call maintenance and get it fixed. After another wait, someone came and took out the table, but brought another type of uncomfortable lobby-type chair. After many more calls, and much aggravation, Brian found someone to bring in a second comfortable chair and ottomon. He also helped wash away the aggravation with some wine he sent us.

After this, we enjoyed the room. The vantage point of a Potomac view was amazing. We could watch the waterfront fireworks from our balcony! The walk to the metro was an easy 1/2 mile from Pentagon City, a large multi level mall.

Breakfast was plentiful and tasty. The wait staff was friendly and accomodating.

We would definately try this hotel again. (our room was very quiet even though the hotel was fully booked).

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the suite with balcony. But if you find a table and chairs in the living room, ca...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am sorry for the challenges you had at check in and getting the proper chair in the suite. Brian has already looked into why this occured and we are confident that this situation will not be repeated due to some protocals put into place. While the challenges were frustrating, i am glad you were compensated for the inconveniences with some wine and complimentary breakfast.

It is nice to read that despite the initial challenge that you had an overall positive experience. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

This hotel is as close to a stay in downtown Washington D.C. as you can get without staying in Washington D.C. You can virtually walk to the Pentagon. The shuttle service to the Pentagon City metro stop was always prompt and the drivers friendly and helpful. The hotel is undergoing renovations but it wasn't much of a problem for us. We received a renovated suite. Very nice, clean, and modern room. The staff was wonderful. Be advised the Skydome's food is expensive but the view is spectacular. Great stay overall. I would stay at this hotel again when returning to the DC area.

1 Thank Enjoi_Life
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Thank you for your review. I am so glad you had a nice stay experience. You are absolutely correct as the hotel is the closest to DC without being in DC. The Pentagon is a block and half away and the Pentagon City Metro Station is 3 blocks. It is an easy walk to both and our shuttle does take guests to both the Metro and Shopping Mall (one of the largest indoor shopping malls in VA) as well as Reagan Airport (DCA).

Yes, the renovations are winding down and the impact to guests is very minimal. We are excited for them to be completely done later this month! The reviews on the renovated product has been very positive and I hope many of the people reading this will visit us to see it.

Thank you for mentioning the positive interactions with the staff. We do change our Skydome menu often and I will make the Food & Beverage Director aware of your feeling that the price was high. He does try to keep the prices in line with other area hotels. I agree, the view is fantastic and I encourage every guest to go up and experience it.

Thank you again for the review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Happy travels-

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

The Wost guest service, thin walls, very noisy, no parking, everything is an ordeal including check in.
Everything way over priced. 15.00 bowl of fruit and 3 dollar a minute Internet . Terrible experience!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Skyyrocket
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to read you had such a poor experience. Thankfully the large majority of reviewers on this site do not agree with your point of view as I invite the readers of this review to also read the many recent positive reviews we have received.

We do not charge per minute to the internet. The charge is for wireless $12.95 per 24 hours in guest rooms and offered complimentary in our lobby, Lobby Bar (when it reopens) and at the three computers in the lobby. In June, our business center will also be complimentary.

Also, we do have 2 level parking garage so I am unsure why you indicate the hotel has no parking. We also offer valet parking. Our menu prices are in line with that of other area hotels, but if the prices are too high for you there are other area options to choose from. I do hope readers of this review will read the large majority of other reviews which mention the positive guest service experiences.

Again, i am sorry you had a poor experience. However, I am confident that if given another opportunity that you would leave with a much higher impression of the hotel and staff. I invite you or anyone reading this to contact me directly anytime.

Wendell, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

When visiting DC with the family, we always like to stay in the Arlington - Crystal City area since its safe, clean, full of shops, convenience to the Metro stations. We are a family on a budget and were delighted to secure a room at this hotel offering such fine amenities. We arrived early from NC and were greeted with upbeat personalities the minute we pulled up to the lobby. Every person I ran into wearing a Doubletree uniform smiled and offered greetings. How often do you see this?

We were given a room in the North Tower on the 8th floor promptly 3 hours before official check in. The view was stunning of the DC skyline and the jets ascending nearby. Our room was spotless, the beds made without wrinkles, fresh towels, clean windows, clean furniture and floors, We brought our niece with us at the last minute and Doubletree was able to get a rollaway bed to our room within an hour of the request. The flat screen TV was new and the beds were very comfortable. The teens loved going to the pool at night after a long day of touring the museums, Georgetown Cupcake etc., the pool offers a marvelous view of the Pentagon and is stocked with plush clean pool towels for use. There is a fitness room too. The lobby here is large, with many tables for eating, working and offers wifi. Also, there were some computers for guest use, which I took advantage of every morning while sipping Starbucks. The snack store offers Starbucks coffee, fruits, yogurts, drinks etc., a restaurant also offers buffet breakfast.

The hotel is strategically located to DC, just across the river. A seven to ten minute walk will get you to the Metro -Pentagon City station, there are shuttles at the hotel that run every 30 minutes to take you there too, we didnt want to wait so walking to the station and Fashion Centre Mall was no problem whatsoever, afterall, in DC going to the sites, you're gonna walk. Tip: Take the Blue/Yellow line to L'Enfant Plaza, change to Blue/Orange line to Smithsonian. Some folks will take the Blue line all the way around. There is an upscale Harris Teeter grocery store 3 blocks away, its open 24hrs, there are various fast food joints and plenty of restaurants nearby.

Construction, I hardly knew it was happening. The lower level lobby in the North Tower was getting a facelift,, it - in no way hampered our visit nor interfered with our sleep. It appeared to me the renovations are close to complete, Its going to be just lovely when its complete.

We were very satisfied with the customer service, the room, the views. This was a very busy week for DC in general with Spring Break in full swing. I thought the staff and management ran the hotel efficiently. We want to come back in the Fall to visit the American Indian and US Holocaust museum again when the crowds have thinned. We will certainly stay here again, our room was quiet, didn't hear a peep from above and below! :-) Be sure to check out the Skydome at night, the Memorials, Monument, and Capitol look great lit up.

A field trip for about 100 8th graders is being planned next year, I will certainly suggest we try to get rooms here. The teens will love riding the Metro, shopping and swimming at night. It's a great hotel. Loved it. I would like to come up for July 4th and stay here, best view in town would be the Skydome or a Cityview room.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a City View room!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. I really appreciate you pointing out the smiling faces upon your arrival. This is something we focus on and it is nice to read it is occuring. I agree with you, staying in Crystal City is a better choice than staying in the city for families. It is so easy to get to the monuments/museums, actually sometimes even easier than from hotels in DC, and the cost savings make it worth it.

Wow, what a great review of your room. The view offered from the North Tower rooms (higher floors) is fantastic; especially for people that do not come to the Washington D.C. area often. It looks like you took advantage of all the hotel amenities and enjoyed each one.

Good tip on the Metro, the train switch can be faster than staying on the blue line straight through. The location of the hotel is definitely an advantage as walking to the Metro/Mall is an option or taking the shuttle is another. You are correct, renovations are almost done! The impact on guests is now mimimal and everyone is excited to see the finished project.

We look forward to your return. It is sure a busy time now and we are working hard to satisfy all guests, but we will work just as hard in the off season. I am confident you will leave just as pleased.

Please contact me directly or our Sales Office to plan the 8th grade trip. We are very familiar with tour groups and handle many of them each year. Thank you for the recommendation!

The view of the fireworks on July 4th is awesome. The Skydome puts on a party and our view rooms book up very quickly, so please do not wait long.

Thank you again for the review and we look forward to your return. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

My room was clean, I had a newly renovated room. I wish I had a better view, I was facing the other tower. The bed was very comfortable. And the Doubletree service cant be beat down to the superb cookie. There was always a bag man on duty and the shuttle service was always very timely. I stay here for business purposes and I found everything adequate. I have to return to the area and I hope I get a room with a better view. Above all I hope the construction is complete.

Room Tip: Make sure to specifically ask for a Washington DC scenic view room. I did and the front desk guest a...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your review. I hope you enjoyed your renovated room; the feedback has been very positive. Yes, our most recent renovated rooms/suites are in the South Tower. The rooms with a view are in the North Tower and these rooms will be renovated in early 2013. it is great to read that you had positive interactions with the staff and found the service to be up to your expectations. The cookies are good & fat free! Just kidding, but they sure are good.

The last bit of our lobby construction should be done by the end of April... at least that's the schedule. The majority of it is completed and once our Lobby Bar is reopened it will all be just about done. We look forward to your return. Please contact me directly about the upgraded view room.

Thank you again for the review and as always I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We arrived Saturday early afternoon. We were able to get our room within 30 minutes. The room was great. Very clean and comfortable. The bathroom was clean and we had no problem getting extra towels. There was a working safe in the room along with fridge and coffe maker. We didnt have a veiw but we went to the Skydome and enjoyed the revolving room while sipping drinks. I will definitley stay here again. Best part was shuttle to the Metro. Drop off and pickup. Runs every 1/2 hour.

Room Tip: Have to pay for parking.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for the review. I am glad the check in process went smooth and your room exceeded your expectations. Yes, i encourage all guests to enjoy the Skydome; even if not for drinks or food. Please make it a point to go up to take in the awesome view. I agree, the shuttles are an excellent convenience. While the walk is not bad (3 blocks - 10 minutes) to the Metro and mall, the shuttle is preferred by many guests. We hope you return soon.