“Husbbie was right.Best thing is the cookie.Internet prices a rip-off,constant renovations,dreary furnishings”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Laramie Wyoming
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My husband and I stay here every fall for his work related conference.Depending on what tower you are in, you may get a nice room or a dreary one like ours in Oct.2011.Hubbie was right.The cookies are the best, and only deal. Not offering free wireless to all your customers is ridiculous in this day and age.I took our computer to the local Starbucks as the lobby computers were, not surprisingly, constantly busy.We got our bagls,sandwiches and snacks from around the corner to save money. Elevators were slow or closed due to repairs.Since this a very busy conference hotel, we don't expect much in quality when we go there.For once, we would like to be pleasantly surprised!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Thank you for the review. I can understand why you felt the room in October 2011 was dreary if you stayed in the South Tower. However, the majority (and most dreary) South Tower rooms/suites were renovated and are now dreary free! I invite you to come back and stay in the South Tower to experience the change. The North Tower rooms, while not as new as our just completed renovated rooms in the South Tower are well received from our guests. So I hope the days of your dreary rooms at the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City are over; regardless of what tower you stay in.

I agree, the cookies are so good. The best part is they are fat free.... ok, they are not (not ever close), but they are so delicious! The choice to charge for wireless is not one made at the hotel level. This decision was made by Hilton Worldwide to charge for in room wireless at all full service hotels (Doubletree, Hilton, & Embassy Suites). This is the same decision made at all major hotel chains (Marriott, Sheraton, Hyatt, etc) as they too charge for Internet in their full service hotels. However, we recognize that some people can not or will not pay, so we do offer wireless Internet complimentary in our lobby, Lobby Bar (when it reopens) and wired Internet complimentary at the computers in the lobby. We also will be offering this free in our business center beginning in June. Of course all Hilton Honor Gold & Diamond members also receive this complimentary.

My apologies if an elevator was out of service during your stay. Right now all the elevators are up & running so that may have been an isolated incident.

With the renovation nearly done I am hoping next time you arrive, you will be pleasantly surprised. Thank you for the review and I do hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
Reviewed 14 April 2012 via mobile

We just returned from 5 nights at the Doubletree for our Spring Break trip to DC.

We're a family of four-- we have two small children. We got a King Jr. Suite w/a sofa bed, and it was exactly as pictured on the website. It worked out very well for our family. We were able to keep drinks, snacks & leftovers in the fridge, had plenty of room in the closets & drawers to store everything we brought for the week.

I was impressed with the size of the safe-- we were able to keep my work laptop, home laptop, iPad, DS, etc. in there with room to spare.

While in-room Internet access isn't free, we were able to access it for free in the lobby.  Renovations in the lobby look like they're nearly complete, and my 3 year old personally sat in every chair the first night the new furniture was there.  The seating was very comfortable for adults, too.

The kids had a fantastic time in the pool, and while we got in to play with them, it was nice to have a lifeguard on duty, as well.

We took the shuttle to the mall to catch the Metro most days, but never quite figured out the return timing.  The walk back took 8-10 minutes-- not a big deal.

The pricing for everything (parking, internet, food) was as we expected-- expensive for someone from the Midwest, but in line with what we saw advertised in the DC area.  The breakfast buffet was very good-- even our picky 8 year old was satisfied.

Overall, we were treated very well on our trip.  The 3 year old would have spent the whole vacation in the hotel if it were up to her!

Stayed April 2012
Thank you for the review. I am glad to read that you had a positive stay experience and enjoyed your suite. During the renovation, the safes were specifically designed to hold laptops and this has been a feature of the newly renovated suites/rooms that our guests have appreciated.

Please thank your son for being the first to sit in the seats to check them out. It is an important job! Yes, we are excited for the renovations to be winding down. Once the Lobby Bar reopens later this month the project will be complete. It is great that you made time to enjoy the pool.

My apologies for the confusion on the return trip from the Metro station. The shuttle leaves the hotel at :00 & :30 of every hour, stops @ the Embassy Suites (2 blocks away), and then goes to the Metro. Typically drop off/pick up times are :10 - :15 & :40 - :45 of every hour and the pick up point is the same place as the drop off. You are correct, it is an easy walk for those that prefer to walk.

Wow, now I know our breakfast offering is complete if a picky 8 year old is satisfied. As a father to a picky youngster, I know how hard they are to please.

Thank you again for the review and for choosing to stay with us. As always I do invite anyone to contact me anytime. I hope you return soon!

Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My wife and I stayed here with our 6-year-old son for 4 days and we really enjoyed it. We got a deal and stayed for about half of what we'd be paying across the river in D.C. when you consider parking. We actually drove in and out of D.C. most of the time rather than take the Metro, though the stop was very close; parking in D.C. is tough but we're using to parking in New York so we didn't think it was that bad.

The pool got a huge thumbs-up from our son, and we loved the revolving restaurant. It's expensive but all hotels are. Take the kids during happy hour and things are cheaper. Also there's a mall within walking distance with tons of kid-friendly food. Or if you're up for a drive head down the road a bit to Alexandria (maybe 15 minute drive) and go to Hank's Oyster Bar. Crystal City isn't exactly a beautiful area to walk around for pleasure but there's plenty of stuff to walk or take a short drive to.

The renovations are only minimally visible at this point, though it will be nice when the lobby bar opens again.

Overall we felt we spent less money here than we would have if we stayed in D.C. and had a better time.

1 Thank Mike G
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Thank you for your review. You are 100% correct, Crystal City offers such a great value when coming into see Washington D.C. It is actually sometimes easier to get from Arlington to DC sites than if you were in the city. We are the closest hotel to Washington DC and driving in is a straight shot over the bridge. I do recommend the Metro due to the parking challenges in the city, but I am glad you did not have a problem finding parking.

The Pentagon City Metro Station and Pentagon City Fashion Centre Mall are located 3 blocks away. It is a quick 7-10 minute walk or an even quicker complimentary shuttle ride. I am so glad you enjoyed the Skydome. I really encourage all guests to go up there; especially with the children (before 9pm). Even if it is just to admire the view - it is worth it. Of course, dinner and drinks are served up there too so you can enjoy the view & some good food at the same time.

Thankfully the renovations are almost done. Currently we anticipate the Lobby Bar to reopen no later than the end of this month. Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon. I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My husband and 10 year-old daughter visited the D.C. area during spring vacation and chose the Doubletree for good rates and hotel services, i.e. restaurants, pool, fitness center. We were very happy with the accommodations - very clean and staff were friendly. I had contacted the manager prior to our visit to confirm that the pool (which was under repair in March) would be available and found his responsiveness quite exceptional with a personal e-mail and.....a tin of the yummy chocolate chip cookies that are a signature treat upon arrival at the hotel. The manager wrote a personal note thanking us for staying at The Doubletree - it doesn't get much better than that. The only disappoint for our family was discovering upon returning home that I had left the tin of cookies on the AMTRAK train - secretly we had all been looking forward to eating those yummy cookies upon our return. We would definitely be returning to the Doubletree Crystal City hotel and next time will buy ourselves a tin of those cookies!

Room Tip: consider an upgrade to the king suite in the north tower - well worth it and a very comfy.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for the review. I am glad to read you had such a nice stay. I appreciate you contacting me prior to your arrival as I really enjoy hearing from people that read my responses. I will contact you today about sending out a replacement tin of cookies! However, we do hope you return soon to enjoy some more. Thankfully the pool is reopened and your family was able to enjoy it.

Thank you again for the review and as always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Henderson, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We booked a balcony suite overlooking the Potomac for an extended weekend in April, 2012. We took the train and arrived early - about 11:30 and thought we'd try to check in. The room wasn't cleaned and we were directed to return after 1:30 (check in is officially 3pm). This was expected so we checked our bags and went into DC to see an exhibit. We returned at 4:30. The hotel is being remodeled so things were a bit chaotic. There was a line at registration and 2 people in the regular line and one in the HHonors line. After a short wait it was our turn. The registrar explained that she had requested updates from housekeeping but could not determine is any of our room types were cleaned and ready. She called again and when she did not receive an answer, she called someone from the back office. By now, we had several people all calling many other people to try to find a room. We were told that we would receive the first cleaned room of the type we requested. After a good bit of time, a room was found on the 14th floor and we were given keys and comped breakfast for our trouble. I wish I had her name as she was professional and helpful. We got to our room and met a woman from housekeeping. She was still bringing in towels and led the way into the room. She saw that there was a large table and chairs in the living room portion of the room and questioned if we had ordered it. We had not, and she said she would call for someone to take it out. We noticed that the room only had one easy chair and ottoman - no other place to sit. The housekeeper said she'd get someone to bring something else - a couch or chair so we both could sit in the same room. Sometime later, a man came to the room with a desk chair! We sent it away. Housekeeping returned with hand towels and said she would call again. My husband went to the lobby and the only manager that was found was Brian from food and beverage. He came and looked and said that he would call maintenance and get it fixed. After another wait, someone came and took out the table, but brought another type of uncomfortable lobby-type chair. After many more calls, and much aggravation, Brian found someone to bring in a second comfortable chair and ottomon. He also helped wash away the aggravation with some wine he sent us.

After this, we enjoyed the room. The vantage point of a Potomac view was amazing. We could watch the waterfront fireworks from our balcony! The walk to the metro was an easy 1/2 mile from Pentagon City, a large multi level mall.

Breakfast was plentiful and tasty. The wait staff was friendly and accomodating.

We would definately try this hotel again. (our room was very quiet even though the hotel was fully booked).

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the suite with balcony. But if you find a table and chairs in the living room, ca...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am sorry for the challenges you had at check in and getting the proper chair in the suite. Brian has already looked into why this occured and we are confident that this situation will not be repeated due to some protocals put into place. While the challenges were frustrating, i am glad you were compensated for the inconveniences with some wine and complimentary breakfast.

It is nice to read that despite the initial challenge that you had an overall positive experience. We hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This hotel is as close to a stay in downtown Washington D.C. as you can get without staying in Washington D.C. You can virtually walk to the Pentagon. The shuttle service to the Pentagon City metro stop was always prompt and the drivers friendly and helpful. The hotel is undergoing renovations but it wasn't much of a problem for us. We received a renovated suite. Very nice, clean, and modern room. The staff was wonderful. Be advised the Skydome's food is expensive but the view is spectacular. Great stay overall. I would stay at this hotel again when returning to the DC area.

1 Thank Enjoi_Life
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Thank you for your review. I am so glad you had a nice stay experience. You are absolutely correct as the hotel is the closest to DC without being in DC. The Pentagon is a block and half away and the Pentagon City Metro Station is 3 blocks. It is an easy walk to both and our shuttle does take guests to both the Metro and Shopping Mall (one of the largest indoor shopping malls in VA) as well as Reagan Airport (DCA).

Yes, the renovations are winding down and the impact to guests is very minimal. We are excited for them to be completely done later this month! The reviews on the renovated product has been very positive and I hope many of the people reading this will visit us to see it.

Thank you for mentioning the positive interactions with the staff. We do change our Skydome menu often and I will make the Food & Beverage Director aware of your feeling that the price was high. He does try to keep the prices in line with other area hotels. I agree, the view is fantastic and I encourage every guest to go up and experience it.

Thank you again for the review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Happy travels-

Reviewed 7 April 2012

The Wost guest service, thin walls, very noisy, no parking, everything is an ordeal including check in.
Everything way over priced. 15.00 bowl of fruit and 3 dollar a minute Internet . Terrible experience!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Skyyrocket
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to read you had such a poor experience. Thankfully the large majority of reviewers on this site do not agree with your point of view as I invite the readers of this review to also read the many recent positive reviews we have received.

We do not charge per minute to the internet. The charge is for wireless $12.95 per 24 hours in guest rooms and offered complimentary in our lobby, Lobby Bar (when it reopens) and at the three computers in the lobby. In June, our business center will also be complimentary.

Also, we do have 2 level parking garage so I am unsure why you indicate the hotel has no parking. We also offer valet parking. Our menu prices are in line with that of other area hotels, but if the prices are too high for you there are other area options to choose from. I do hope readers of this review will read the large majority of other reviews which mention the positive guest service experiences.

Again, i am sorry you had a poor experience. However, I am confident that if given another opportunity that you would leave with a much higher impression of the hotel and staff. I invite you or anyone reading this to contact me directly anytime.