“Nice stay great renovated room”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #17 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Got upgraded to a new suite which was very well decorated. Staff was very pleasant and arranged a car for me which was waiting for me at the requested time. Clean and quiet room. That's about all I ask for as a frequent traveller and this hotel came through. Hotel shuttle to airport was excellent on time.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Thank you for the review. I am so glad to read that you had a positive experience. The feedback on our renovated rooms/suites has been so positive, I can not wait for the remainder of the rooms to be completed later this year! I appreciate you mentioning the convenience and timeliness of the shuttle.

We hope you return soon. Thank you again for the review and for choosing to stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,987)

Reviewed 26 April 2012

Wow. Federal contract that paid for half of the six floor. What a disappointment. I had a family member pick me up only to end the night in adversity. A valet failed to park the car(busy smoking a cigarette), and a shuttle bus driver directed my ride into a parked Double Tree vehicle. What do you know, instead of an apology and compensation, they claimed the damage on the driver's insurance. That is what you should expect from a major hotel chain, right? Thanks a lot Double Tree, I hope to do business with you again after spending thousands of dollars on my stay. Do not expect any response from management for their staff's incompetence. I would alter the rating system in order to give -5 stars on this one.

6  Thank Balthazar G
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Thank you for your review. My apologies you had these challenges during your stay. I am unsure what you mean about the Federal Contract paid for half the six floor. This is the first I have heard of a valet attendant smoking outside the hotel. As with most companies, employees have a designated smoking area. While the Valet attendants are employees of the management company that runs the garage and not the hotel, they too should never be smoking in public view. I will pass this comment onto the Director for follow up.

I am sorry that you hit a parked vehicle. Any type of accident needs to go through insurance and can not be compensated in any other way. This is to protect both the hotel and any other person involved in an accident. Actually, it is what to expect with any hotel chain as most hotel chains and businesses for that matter follow the same procedures for accidents.

Thank you again for the review and I am very sorry that you had a negative experience. I hope that by the many responses I give that readers will recognize that contrary to what is said in this review, management is very responsive. As always I do invite anyone to contact me directly anytime.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

We have stayed at the Double Tree before in Dupont Circle, which was a wonderful experience, cookies were warm, fresh and staff was not stingy if you asked for a couple extra. The room and hotel was nicely furnished and clean. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the Double Tree in Crystal City.

During check-in, I was advised that the room was for two doubles, when I inquired as to the advance request for a single king bed....I was immediately made aware by the front desk agent that I was considered a second-class guest as my reservation was made through Priceline and not directly with the hotel.

It had been a long trip, so the first thing when I entered the room, I wanted to take a shower and I noticed rust and other stains around the bathtub, and the room had a stale scent throughout. After showering, I decided to bite into my cookie and it had a certain je ne sais quoi flavour that I did not like (stale). My fiance joined me later with our girls and we set out for lunch in VA.

We also had a negative experience with the complimentary shuttle service. After waiting some time for a shuttle to go to the metro, one eventually showed up and another family got on, then as we tried to board the driver told us that he was not going to the metro, but was doing a restaurant run to California Pizza Kitchen and did not let us board. It was not until the shuttle drove off that we realized that CPK is just outside the metro entrance----urgghhhh!!! It was another 20 or so minutes before another shuttle came back around.

Prior to arriving in VA, I extended my vacation through Priceline, during check-in it was not mentioned that I would need to renew my reservation, provide a new incidental deposit or anything else that would have made for a seamless transition of our stay. So on Sunday night imagine our surprise when we were locked out of our room. It took nearly an hour for the hotel and security to let us into our room and to furnish us with keys that worked. Our girls were seated on the dirty looking carpeted floor. When we asked for some cookies for the children to snack on while we waited, the front seemed really put out and told us the cookies were for pilots and flight attendants! The whole experience was very embarrassing, as to other hotel guests/passerby's we appeared to be "evicted" hotel guests while we waited for staff to rectify the problem. The hotel manager was completely apathetic to our concerns, and we practically had to beg for some comp for the major inconvenience.

As a frequent traveler, I often book either direct or through Priceline depending on my travel needs...Knowing what I know now about this particular Double Tree, I would never intentionally or directly book with this hotel again. We ended up extending our stay again in VA and finished up our trip around the corner at the Residence Inn--wish we had stayed there for the whole time--staff was more helpful, rooms were cleaner and much nicer, breakfast + social hour=more bang for your buck.

Room Tip: Do not book through Priceline
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Thank you for the review. I am sorry to read that you had a negative experience on your recent stay. I am very sorry that the message you received at check in that you are a less important guest due to booking Priceline. That is absolutely not true and the agent obviously did not convey the proper information to you. If we did not want guests that book Priceline, we would not supply them with rooms to sell. We value all guests regardless of what the booking method is. The message that the agent was trying to convey is that when you book off many 3rd party sites, such as priceline or Hotwire, and you bid on a room by putting in a price point room types are not guaranteed. This is the policy of that site and the only guarantee is that a room will be available. Requests for room types can be made, but they are based on availability. The only way to guarantee a room type is to book on our hotel website or on a site that lists the actual hotel, not a pricepoint. However, I am very sorry that you were made to feel less important and our Director of Front Office will be following up with her staff to remind them of the importance of conveying the proper message to our guests.

While I like the use of the je ne sais quoi flavour in your response, I am sorry your cookie was stale. This is very unusual as cookies are baked fresh all day and kept in cookie warmers. As people that read the many reviews on this site will see the cookies usualll receive rave reviews. In fact, this is the first time I recall the complaint of a stale cookie. Please contact me directly and I will be glad to send you out a tin of fresh cookies.

My apologies there was a miscommunication on the shuttle. The shuttle goes to the Metro every half hour and this shuttle does not make restaurant stops. I am unsure why you were told not to get on and would need some more information so I can look into this further.

Unless we are told at check in time that you had another reservation (back to back), we would have no way to know this. When you extend a 3rd party reservation, it does not extend the reservation, but books another one. So you had the 1st reservation which remained unchanged. We did not know you booked a 2nd one so your check out date remained for that Sunday. Your keys were set to expire on Sunday which is why when you returned they did not work. It should not have taken an hour to resolve this and I am sorry if it did. Typically, once we would have been notified of the 2nd reservation it could be corrected rather quickly. We will look into why this took so long to ensure any guests with similiar challenges have a quicker resolution.

I am being completely honest with you when I say that I have never heard any person ever being told cookies are reserved for pilots and flight attendants. We have three cookie warmers behind the desk and as I mentioned cookies are baked all day. Now, they may have put aside some (pre counted) for an arriving crew (which is rare), but there would always be others to get to you. I am sorry this was not communicated to you properly. We have many guests that enjoy the cookies so much that they ask for more and are accommodated. We make extras just for this reason.

Thank you again for the review. I am sorry you made the decision not to return and again apologize that you did not have an enjoyable stay. I invite anyone reading this review and also my response to take the time to read the other reviews. This will help you see that what this guest experienced is not typical. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

We recently met friends here and stayed overnight, wanting to visit The Smithsonian area. The hotel was ideal. The little living area and counter with sink, frig & coffee maker were just what we needed. The decor was very nice and the pocket doors to the bedroom added a nice touch. The bathrooms were spacious and eye appealing also.Everything was very clean and the beds were extremely comfortable.

We could walk to the metro and go wherever we chose. That night, we used the hotel shuttle to take us to a close by area that had tons of dining options.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for the review. I am so glad you had a positive experience. It looks like you stayed in one of our most recently renovated rooms. I agree, they look great and the sliding door to close the bedroom off from the living room is a big deal to our guests. It offers the ability to have privacy if having people back to the suite in the living room area.

Yes, the walk to the Metro is only 3 blocks (7-10 minutes), but the option exists to use the complimentary shuttle. I am glad you utilized it to take you to nearby dining options.

Thank you again for the review and I hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my response to contact me anytime.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

I have stayed here three times so far in 2012. I always have had great service. The breakfast buffet includes cook to order omelets. Excellent work out facility, with free weights. Super Close to the Pentagon, easily walking distance from the hotel. Windows on Washington is fun. The menu is limited but remember you're there for the view, have a drink and enjoy.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Thank you for the review. We are very happy that you are so happy with your experiences at the Doubletree by Hilton Washington DC - Crystal City.

Yes, our fitness room is very popular is it is the largest fitness room of any hotel in the area. Being right next to the Pentagon we get plenty of people that work out routinely and even they are quite impressed by it. I am glad you found the facility to exceed your expectations.

Windows over Washington is open Friday & Saturday evenings as you can dine while enjoying a comedy show. Reservations are not normally needed, but you can make them if you'd like. It is a fun time. Then afterwards you can go right upstairs to the Skydome! The view is fantastic. Our Food & Beverage Director is always tinkering with the menu so if you have a suggestion as to what you would like to see on there, please let me know. He often used guest suggestions when making changes.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you return soon. We will work hard to ensure you remain happy and wanting to return. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

While I did not actually book a stay in the DoubleTree, I thought it was worth mentionining that the top floor boasts a beautiful view of the city, primarily Washington DC and hosts a comedy show for those looking for a fun night out. The acts vary, so make sure you do your research. There was an opener and a magician before the main show started to give you time to oder food and drinks. Though the menu is very limited, the food is very good and a bit pricey.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Thank you for the review. I am so glad you enjoyed the show! I have been to some and enjoyed them as well; some of the acts are very funny. The Comedy Zone acts are run from an outside company and they put on shows every Fri & Sat night. You can make reservations or just show up.

The view is fantastic; especially at night. Next time enjoy the show and then stay over! You can't beat the commute from the show to your room. If you have suggestions on what you would like to to see added to the menu please let me know. Our Food & Beverage Director is always tinkering with the menu and uses guest feedback to add or remove items.

Thank you again for the review. As always, I invite anyone to contact me anytime.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

This is always my hotel of choice when I am arrive late in DC. They are going through an expansive renovation and I was disappointed to learn that I would be unable to add my Diamond reservation number (for incidentals) even though I had used a 3rd party booking site. I had 2 days of appointments here and they folks in the restaurant gave me a private unused room and came to check on us every hour or so. They were fantastic and made up for the lack of points I'd get. There is a free airport shuttle-but it only runs until midnight, and they do brew Starbucks coffee in the cafe. I think that after the renovations are complete, it will be even nicer! There are also computers in the lobby with free printing.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Thank you for the review. I am sorry that your Diamond number could not be added. The rules for HHonor numbers are set by the HHonors program and not individual hotels. Next time, please use the hotel website to book your rooms as any site that lists our rates will not be lower than what you will find on the website. Then if you book on the hotel site you can have the same rate and also be able to apply your HHonor number.

The renovations are just about over! The Lobby Bar should reopen later this month and then for the most part, renovations will be completed. We are excited about this and happy to have the newest product in Crystal City.

I am so glad to read that you had great employee interactions and found the cusotmer service to exceed your expectations. We work hard on that!

Thank you again for the review and we look forward to your return. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.