“Bed Bugs Confirmed by Hotel Staff”

DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City
Ranked #17 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed 22 July 2009

My family and I recently stayed at this hotel for one night. After a family member was bitten and blood specks were found on the sheets, we immediately contacted the hotel. The hotel seemed to know exactly where to look, and when they did, bed bugs were found. The staff expressed concern and told us renovations would be taking place next year.

The hotel staff/management reimbursed us for our stay but of course we are concerned about this problem for others. I have learned that these bugs may travel room to room, especially after extermination. We are loyal Hilton customers and would not have expected this. We are very disappointed as we enjoyed the hotel offerings. The room was somewhat worn and one of the chairs in the room had a broken arm and no support at the seat.

The fitness center was first rate and the breakfast staff delivered top notch service.

Of course we are still concerned about the bed bug issue.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
6  Thank theexpert
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2009

I am happy to report there IS NOT a bed bug problem at the Doubleteee Hotel Crystal City

Please note that just as at all hotels, we receive complaints of "bed bugs". While we take every complaint seriously and call in exterminators immediately it is very rare that the problem is actual bed bugs. This quick response would eliminate any possiblity for the bugs to travel room to room as the problem would remain isolated in the room in question.

I can honestly tell you and anyone reading this review that the Doubletree Hotel Crystal City DOES NOT have a bed bug problem. At this time we have no rooms out of order or being treated for bed bugs.

Along with having an exterminator come in with any complaints we have all the rooms in the hotel routinely inspected.

I am very happy the staff took your complaint seriously and reacted quickly. Our staff has been trained on how to look for bed bugs (hence knowing exacly where to look) and what to do for any complaints.

As I mentioned bed bug complaints are not uncommon at any hotel, but it is very rare for findings to match the complaint.

Thank you and please feel free to contact me anytime-

703-416-3846
kevin.feldman@hilton.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,987)

Reviewed 17 July 2009

We were more than pleased with the Doubletree in Arlington! My husband and two girls (12 1/2 and 10) really enjoyed staying here. The only thing that we thought could be improved upon was the tv stations that were available. It was pouring down rain when we first arrived so the kids wanted to watch tv... and at bedtime, we couldn't really find much to watch. We loved the huge shower and there were plenty of towels and toiletries. Everyone at the front desk was exceptionally nice, as well as the women helping us (we'd never been to D.C. before). The kids were excited about going to the Skydome. The food was pretty good for the price, the waitress left much to be desired. We also used the pool which was clean and they supplied towels. We did have some trouble understanding the people in the lower level where you get the shuttles, but they were very friendly. Our first day there, we got back to late and the shuttle service had quit early that night, but it was only a 10-15 minute walk back to the hotel. Overall, we would definintely recommend this to others for an above-average stay for those of us who used to be "basic middle class folks". I booked our reservations online six months before our trip and got great rates.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
DoubletreeCrystal, manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2009

Thank you for the favorable review. We are constantly updating the channel selection and often get requests from guests. We use these requests to help determine any new stations that we can provide. So please feel free to contact me with any requests you may have.
The shuttle service to the Metro runs each day until 11pm. While it is very convenient, you are correct that it is a short walk back from the Metro if you arrive after 11pm. The Shuttle offers set times for pick up so it is easy to plan your day to get back for the shuttle if needed.
Thank you again and anyone can feel free to contact me in reference to the Doubletree Hotel Crystal City. We use all guest comments to help improve our product & service.

(703) 416-3846

Reviewed 14 July 2009

The best positive of staying here is, if I could, I would trade our bed at home for theirs. Very, very comfortable night's sleep! The mattress, multiple pillows and coverlet were top notch. Great comfort which helped to smooth out the rough patches. There were downsides that were inexcusable and which cause me not to give this hotel a better rating . Initially the first room we were given had faulty air conditioning. We were given another room immediately when we went back to the front desk to complain. We were asked if we would like an engineer to come up and look at the problem. We declined and opted for another room. For this new room, I distinctly asked that we NOT be near the elevators because I am an extremely light sleeper. Guess where we were assigned! ... Yup, Room 816, the first room next to the elevators in the north tower. My husband asked me if we could try it out for one night before asking for another room. I said "ok." I must say it wasn't noisy but to avoid any potential problems when we travel, I always take earplugs with me, and I used them. So we decided to stay in this room for the four nights booked. Several times our room key didn't work and we went to the front desk and were rekeyed. Went back upstairs and still the key didn't work. I called from the floor phone and the front desk employee came with two new keys. We were given two complimentary breakfast brunch tickets for our inconvenience. Nice touch, but shouldn't have happened several times. Now, was the hassle worth another stay in this hotel when we return to Washington DC? Maybe, but the price will have to be right. The fact that one gets a very good night's rest with the great beds/bedding would be the main reason if we did stay here again. Oh, I might add, their shuttle service is very, very reliable which is a plus for us. This, too, is in their favor. They have a specific shuttle for the airport and another one for the Pentagon City Metro. I think this is a very good selling point for those that don't have a car and which you can depend upon. ..

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
DoubletreeCrystal, manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2009

Thank you for staying at the Doubletree Hotel Crystal City. I am glad to see that with each challenge you had the staff responded quickly with a can do attitude.
Due to the set up of the hotel and the elevators not being directly next to the rooms we rarelt get noise complaints from surrounding rooms. Thankfully, you had the same experience.
We are always looking at different keys to use that can be even more reliable. Our current product seems to rate high with guests, but I am sorry you had an issue with the keys. It is rare for a key to demagnatize as often as it occured for you. The engineering team is checking the lock on the door of the room you stayed in right now.
Every hotel has hiccups from time to time, but it is the service recovery efforts that can make the difference and that is what sets us apart from our competitors. Every employee is empowered and trained to solve any challenge to the guest's satisfaction.
You are correct, the beds are extremely comfortable. The Doubletree Suite Dreams product consitantly gets high ratings from guests and is a big reason for the loyalty to the brand that travelers have.
Again, thank you for staying at the Doubletree Hotel Crystal City.

703-416-3846

Reviewed 15 June 2009

I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Doubletree while sightseeing in DC. I received a great rate thru Priceline which is the only way it is affordable with a $21/day parking fee. My room was in the north tower (no view) clean but small. The furnishings are modern and clean. The bathroom is beautiful though the lighting is kind of dim. The beds provide a comfortable night's sleep. On a negative note the door had to be slammed to close completely. Mine wasn't the exception as I heard other doors being slammed, too. Also I could hear water running when the toilet was flushed above me. Internet is $12.95/day. I paid the first day there. Then I noticed a man sitting in the lobby with his laptop. So the next night I went to the lobby and was able to access with my laptop free. The food is OK but over priced.
Would I return? I would if I received a good rate again ($60/night).

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2009

OMG! We moved our room 3 times. Our first room was 78 degrees and rose as we were in there for an hour. Then our second was 75 degrees. This is ridiculous for DC!!! Our thrid room was finally cool, but a shoe box overlooking the lower roof. The food options as lacking, the concierge could not wait to stop talking to me, and then gave me the wrong directions which caused me to walk around DC for about 40 minutes with my 16-month old daughter.

Hate it, will NEVER GO BACK!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2009

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. Please feel to contact me @ (703) 416-3846 as I would love to speak to you to see if we could change your mind about coming back. The challenges you experienced are not typical.

We do take all guest comments very seriously as we use them to improve our product and service.

It is ashame you did not like the size of your room. Please note we do have various size suites available which are larger than a standard hotel room. I am quite surprised our concierge gave wrong directions as they are very familiar with the DC area, but do apologize for the miscommunication.

Without knowing your room number or last name I can not specify as to why your a/c did not work, but it is highly unusual for one guest to have to move 3 times due to the air conditioning not working unless there was a hotel wide issue.

Once again, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay, but do hope both you and the people reading this will know what you experienced is not typical of our guest experience.

(703) 416-3846

Reviewed 26 May 2009

This hotel decent overall with a few high points, but is seriously lacking in quite a few areas.
The proximity to Washington DC and area shopping is definitely a high point. The shuttle will take you to the Metro and it is a quick ride to DC from there. The bad news is they aren't very good abou picking you up when you get back (in the evening). You will sit there at a bus stop and watch shuttles from other area hotels pick up their customers, but no Doubletree. Fortunately, it isn't a bad walk back (unless the weather is bad.) The event I was attending had prearranged (and paid for) an extra shuttle in the mornings, and they didn't get that right most of the time. The shuttle was good about airport pickup and drop off, though.
The rooms are clean and adequate. I didn't pay for my room, so I can't comment on the price. The fitness center is surprisingly nice and doesn't cost extra. They have gym-quality equipment (not the cheap hotel kind) and the cardio machines come with your own personal TV. For a hotel this size, it seems just wrong to not have dinner service at the restaurant. They have a restaurant, it just wasn't serving dinner. You can order pub food in the bar if you really don't want to walk to area restaurants or trek into DC.
There is a cool rotating bar at the top of the hotel, and the pool looks pretty nice (although I did not use it.)

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 May 2009

We stayed at the Doubletree Crystal City for 4 nights, and of the 30+ hotel's I have stayed in USA this is without doubt the worst hotel (by along way).
We booked in for our twin room, which we had booked and paid for 3 months in advance, and were told that there wasnt a room for us!, there was another couple who were with Virgin Holidays and they were told the same, the poor girl was in tears as the check in desk manager told us both that his happens alot and there wasnt anything they could do!. (his actaul words were "I'm sorry, but this aint my problem")
Eventaully after arguing with the duty manager for almost half an hour they finally found us a room.
The rooms are basic, but clean.
We had a meal in the Skydome, the food was actually very good, however the hotel described this venue as "Sophisticated", what actually transpired was an open plan type canteen venue, complete with children running around and food on the floor!
When we finally went to bed, we were woke up each morning by the phone ringing with a wake up call, which wasnt for us, but for another room, on each of the 4 mornings we were woke up between 5am to 7am !. brilliant for our relaxing holiday.

All in all, a terrible hotel, with management who could not care about its customers.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SteveKellyLondon
DoubletreeCrystal, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2009

I am truely sorry that you had such a poor stay, but I can assure you that this is not the norm.
It is uncommon for anyone to show up with a confirmed reservation only to find us (or any hotel) with no rooms available. However, like when the airlines get overbooked, it does happen from time to time. It is standard hotel policy that anybody who has a confirmed reservation that can not be given a room is offered the closest comparable hotel and we pay for the room that night. We also arrange for transportation and contact the hotel to alert them that you are on the way. So I am very surprised to hear anyone would respond in that manner as it most definately would be our problem.

The Skydome is the most unique bar atmosphere in the area. Guests are wowed with the fabulous panoramic view of the DC skyline, Pentagon, Reagan Airport, & the Potomac River. The Skydome features a rotating floor that circles the dancefloor and many people do find that to be sophisticated. Being it is a bar/night club atmosphere we do not allow children under the age of 21 in there after 9pm. Prior to 9pm it is a fantastic place to take the family to dine.

While I am sorry about the wake up call mix up that too is rare. I hope the next time you will let us know while you are here so we can fix the problem quickly and to your satisfaction.

Please know that Management cares very much about the experiences our guests have. We take great pride in the property and the service we deliver. When we fail we want to hear about it as we use all guest comments to improve the product & the service. Please feel free to contact me at 703-416-3846 to discuss further.