3,219 results
All reviews double tree north tower revolving restaurant skydome restaurant crystal city warm cookies lobby bar pentagon mall whole foods self parking breakfast buffet free shuttle washington dc metro station shuttle service reagan airport fitness center
Reviewed October 5, 2017

I seldom encounter a situation where I end up with only a single star (and usually would leave after the first night but was attending a conference at the hotel so I stayed). Service is very important from my perspective and this is notably absent - from the gentlemen who told me my room was not ready (admittedly I was there at 3 not 4 for checkin) and only resolved the situation when I asked if perhaps another room rather than the pre-allocated room might be available - shouldn't that be something that they think of rather than just dismissing you with a curt 'we'll text you when a room is ready'. Actually to be accurate, before telling me the room was not ready he asked me to confirm my phone number and when I provided it I asked why as I thought that was an odd request during checkin. Only then did he say the room was not ready and he would text me. I indicated I did not want a text (as I don't manage my life with my phone) and this seemed to annoy him. On a positive side once I asked him to look for another room he did find one.
They do seem quite focused on texting - and quite annoyed when you ask for other options to texting. For example I asked about wifi and was told to use my HH # - when I remarked I did not have it handy and asked if he would jot it down for me he again said he'd text. When I asked if he could please just jot it down as I prefer that to texting he again became annoyed and wrote it on my room key folder. Ok, at least it was not a text but I could have managed quite nicely without the display of displeasure.
Now there were a few problems in the room - each could be considered minor - and should have been easy to resolve - but no amount of communicating with the front desk seemed to help. First, the AC was not cooling the room which was causing it to feel somewhat humid...talked to front desk, waited, went to front desk, waited, called - after about an hour+ and another call someone did come and it was resolved! Next tried to use desk lamp - did not work - not a major problem but would have liked to sit and work on laptop. Reported this every day of my stay - each day they responded with surprise and promised to fix it, dutifully turning to the screen and typing something. No joy. Next the TV had an issue - related to remote...if you did not stand literally in front of the TV the remote didn't work - perhaps a few fresh batteries were in order? Reported issue at 8AM(ish) on way to first session of the day - by 9PM when returned to room after dinner still not working - and now could not even turn the TV on. Hmm, one wonders. Another call to the front desk. Another wait. Another call. And hurray, someone came - he was wonderful - I asked his name and regret that I cannot remember it as he was the only person I encountered during my four days/nights that really met the standard you expect from Hilton (or any hotel really). He inserted new batteries. Problem solved. When he was there I mentioned that it was my last night but perhaps he could make a note that the desk lamp was not working so it could be fixed for the next person. He suggested he just replace the bulb while he was there - he did - light came on- problem solved. Alas, I was checking out but I guess it's good news for the next guy.
As I said - nothing was overwhelming other than the AC which would have made the room unusable for sleeping.
The meeting rooms were also quite hot and stuffy the entire time - another attendee told me they had been to a prior conference and the same issue arose then.
There were always long lines at the front desk - and often the concierge desk had a sign sending you there so if you just had a question it could be a 10 minute wait. To say nothing of the long wait to discuss any issue/problem. And the lines seemed to be there whether it was morning, mid-day or end of working day. Often only one person manning a desk which left a line of folks waiting. Occasionally you expect this but not every time.
I ate only one meal - a lunch - at the hotel - and it was not overwhelming - it was a buffet lunch as part of the event. Salad offering was great. Hot part (some sort of meat covered in barbecue sauce and clam chowder and baked potatoes) was very sad. But on a plus side there are numerous dining options in easy strolling distance. And there is a Whole Foods just on the opposite corner with loads of options for takeout or eating there. Self parking is just below and there is a reduced rate for guests (or at least there was for our conference attendees). Metro is about a 10 minute stroll - there is a hotel shuttle to take you there but it is quite an easy walk.
And finally, what convinced me to move from two stars to one: on checkout I did not get a bill under my door for speedy checkout which as HH member I had come to expect. So I dutifully waited in line (again) and when I got to the desk was told that my account indicated I wanted it emailed. Odd, no other Hilton I have stayed at this year had this - but rather than just offer to print one out he just stood there looking at me. So, I asked if I could please have a printout to review - with a heavy sign one was provided. He then asked if my stay was good - I said well, to be honest, it wasn't. He offered me a cookie. Not sure what I expected --- maybe a 'oh sorry to hear that'. I declined the cookie. Completed my review/checkout and headed off into the world. I think even if the conference is in the same place next year I will stay at the Marriott down the street and just walk over each day. One doesn't mind little hiccups - you grow accustomed to them when on the road - but it's all about how they are handled isn't it? A cookie? Really?
By the way I did pay the extra for a 'city view' and to be fair it is nice to look out and see the Washington Monument, Capitol, Pentagon, etc. in the distance.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank chimneysweep1912
Dori F, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2017

Thank you for writing such a detailed review. Being your review is surrounded by 10 five or four star reviews, I hope both you and readers of this review know that your experience was far from the norm.

I am truly sorry you left disappointed in your stay experience. While the new texting service is a big hit with our guests, the staff should always ask for consent and not assume every guest wants to receive texts. Without knowing the specifics of the group room block, I can not speak to why the agent did not look for a clean room first before telling you yours was not ready. In many cases group rooms are blocked off and per the group contact should not be changed.

It is disappointing and unusual to read that you had to report so many challenges multiple times. As I can not identify your reservation, I can not pull the calls to see who you spoke to as I would love to follow up on this further. I would be lying if I said challenges like the ones you experienced do not pop up from time to time, but it is highly unusual to have so many for one guest. I am sorry this occurred and we failed to respond in an appropriate manner.

The front desk typically has two -three people staffed and I apologize that you experienced ling wait times. While many of our guests enjoy dining in the hotel, it is nice to have multiple options in the immediate area should one want to venture out.

While many guests prefer emailed receipts, there are plenty that prefer a print out. This is a routine request as are many of the items you site, so I am unsure why you were met with poor responses. As you can see in the many other reviews, this is far from the norm, but I a sincerely sorry this was your experience.

Thank you again for your review and for staying with us. We will use your feedback to help us improve. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed October 4, 2017

I was really surprised at how quiet this amazing hotel was - I attended a professional conference with 125 colleagues after a hectic week of travel. The room was big, clean and just what I needed when I wanted to escape.

Loved the bar in the lobby and the small plates and bites.

Staff was friendly and knowledgeable.

Conference and meeting space was great and served our group well.

Best part? The SHUTTLES! Every 15 minutes from 5am to 12 midnight to Pentagon City METRO as well as National Airport - this is such a value!

Room Tip: Stayed in North Tower 1128 which is in the rear of the complex - quiet
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. It is always rewarding when we exceed expectations and surprise a guest with their experience. The housekeeping team appreciates you noting the cleanliness of the room. I am so glad that you enjoyed the Lobby bar and had positive interactions with the team.

We are fortunate to have 34,000 sq ft of meeting space so we can welcome so many size groups. The banquet team works hard to offer all attendees the same impression you had. Yes, our shuttles add a great convenience for many of our guests and it is nice to read this was the case for you too.

Thank you again for your review and for staying with us. We hope to welcome you back soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

dori.Familiant@hilton.con

Reviewed October 3, 2017

Folks, if you have a chance to stay at Doubletree and have breakfast, don't miss it. Look for Aksi, who is an excellent server and who treats her customers with grace and skill, anticipating every need. Aksi and the Doubletree are terrific.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo

Thank you for sharing your review. Axi is a superstar and it never ceases to amaze me how many guests/customers leave the Café with such amazing things to say about Axi. She will be so proud to read your comments and we will recognize her efforts.

dori.Familiant@hilton.con

Reviewed October 1, 2017

If you’re looking for an awesome place to stay, look no further than the Double Tree Hotel in Crystal City. I enjoy a outstanding room with a view, not to mention awesome Staff and quality food for the price (lots of selections) to choice from. You are also a shot walk to a metro station and a local mall. Definitely staying here for my next trip!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Dori F, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton - Washington DC - Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is wonderful to read that you left feeling so good about the choice you made to stay with us. Your comment on the staff is appreciated. Our view rooms are the most popular room type; I am glad you took the opportunity to stay in one.

The kitchen team will be thrilled to read that you enjoyed the food. We are fortunate to be located so close to the Metro/Mall that our guests have the option of walking to the Metro (3 blocks) or riding on the shuttle.

Thank you again for your review and for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed October 1, 2017

Brand and location were the reason for selecting this hotel. The courteous staff with room comfort and cleanliness were as I expected. Lack of reasonable priced parking and breakfast based on Hilton Honors status were big let downs.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for writing a review. It is nice to read that you enjoy the Doubletree brand and found our location to your liking. Your comment on the staff being courteous is appreciated and I am sure the housekeeping team will be proud to your comment about the room cleanliness.

While Honors brings a lot of perks, discounted parking is not one of them. We do offer room packages that include parking for a discounted price. Diamond and Gold members do receive a complimentary continental breakfast per the Honors amenity package. However, I am sorry these items let you down.