All reviews room was clean overnight japan ryokan dinner
Reviewed April 1, 2018

I stayed here overnight in February 2018 and included the kaiseki meal option.

The staff was kind and gave me a short tour of the facilities when they showed the room to me. I was a little surprised that dinner will be served in the dining room instead of my room. Oh well... None of the staff spoke enough English to a meaningful conversation, but checking in and checking out was easy. They provide written English instructions for the bath facilities and a tourist map. One of the staff spoke very good Mandarin.

The building is old, but it is well kept. My room's tatami were fresh and didn't have any signs of wear, which is expected at this price, imho. I didn't use the bathroom much, but there were the usual amenities. I always use the public bath facilities. In this case, there is a hot spring bath, which I found to have a comfortable temperature. An outdoor bath is also available, but no view.

Dinner and breakfast was very fancy. Almost all of the various dishes presented to me was very good except for one. It was a pasta dish that seemed out of place from the rest of the meal, which was purely Japanese. On another note, based on the menu (in kanji), I believe I ate horse for the first time, but I didn't know until I reviewed the characters after eating. Horse tasted like other more common meats.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Paul7878
Reviewed January 15, 2017

Beautiful ryokan in a great location. Our room was comfortable and spacious. The classic Japanese architecture and layout took us back to another time. Plus the attentiveness of the staff made for a wonderful stay. We would definitely revisit if we're ever in the area again!

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marlies G
Reviewed September 14, 2016 via mobile

金Midori距車站近,走訪各景點都相當方便。最令人感受深刻的是,熱誠貼心的服務態度 ; 一泊二食,更是視覺與味蕾的絕配 ; 露天風呂小而精緻,湯質極優。這是和風味極濃的旅館。旅客若略懂日語,感覺更佳。Strongly recommend. The location of the hotel saves your time and energy. If one wants to experience the beauty of Japan, the hot spring spirit of Japan, and the art of Japanese food, the Hotel Kane Midori is your first choice.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fishlady H
Reviewed July 15, 2016 via mobile

Went during summer and got the family room big enough for 3 adults and 2 small kids. Call them while we were at Karuizawa waiting for the bus to Kusatsu and the shuttle bus was waiting for us when we got that, which was great.

The staff don't speak much English but were very attentive and helpful all throughout... the shuttle bus driver, lobby staff, cleaners, waiters, e.t.c. Onsen was great and the meals (We had breakfast and dinner) were fantastic!

Only slight thing was that the room had a bit of a smoky smell on day 1 and the air-con wasn't that cold, but was fine the next day, so not too much of an issue.

Overall, definitely a great place to stay in Kusatsu.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Han L
Reviewed August 27, 2015

Convenient location, only few minutes walk from JR Bus station. Easy to find with clear signs in intersection. Great service and friendly staff. Enjoyed their indoor and open air onsen, clean and authentic feeling, nice Japanese breakfast. Value for money.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple