All reviews near the train station value for money shopping area japanese style good size non smoking rooms are clean perfect location amenities floor kokura conference market tokyo
Reviewed October 4, 2017

Reviewing the Rihga Royal Hotel at Kokura is quite difficult. As some other reviewers mentioned, there are a lot of pluses but a few negatives that cloud the hotel.

One of the biggest negatives is that the non-smoking rooms still have a slight smokey feel. I smell it the most on the first night. The room was obviously a smoking room that got converted to non-smoking. I don't think this would bother some people but it did bother my wife and I.

The hotel does have a lot of pluses which is why I ended up giving it 4 stars. I will start with the staff. From the moment I walk in till I left, they were all smiles. Many of the staff could speak or understand English very well. One of them helped me call around a few restaurants to see if they have an English menu. I am used to good service at all the hotels I have stayed at in Japan. Royal Rhiga Kokura does feel a notch above.

The room itself was very spacious. It might even be 2.5 times larger than the room I ended up with in Tokyo. Amenities were very complete (fridge, water boiler, etc) except that the room did not have a safe. The bed and pillows were surprisingly comfortable. One of the pillow had beads/beans/something that was quite odd in the beginning but was very comfortable. It was the best hotel pillow I have had in Japan. This is definitely a plus.

The internet in the room was good and fast. The breakfast buffet was average with a decent variety. However, I have had better hotel breakfast buffets.

The best part of the hotel is its location. While I was not there for a conference, it was great to be out of the shinkansen and into your hotel room within 15 minutes. Being around the station also meant that there were a lot of restaurants within walking distance. Finally, the cheap airport bus is definitely the way to get to Kitakyushu airport.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2017 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for two nights for a business purpose. The advantage of it was its location that was near train station and conference center, and they were connected by a covered bridge, so it was convenient for us to walk back and forth. What made it more convenient was the train station that had various options for foods and had grocery stores. The hotel was also only 10-15 minutes walk from the center of the city.

The interior of the hotel in general was an old style with a huge lobby. My room was sizable with a beautiful view of the city from 27th floor. Most of its amenities worked well with the exception of hot water for shower that was set at 40 degree Celcius; it could not be reduced. It was rather hot for me. Another thing was I requested for a non smoking room but my room smelled smoke.

The varieties of the foods for breakfast were rather limited, and the taste was mediocre at best. I was invited for a gala dinner at Royal Hall. The foods there were much better. Maybe because it was a special event.

If you are looking for a hotel with strategic location, this may be the one. But if you are looking for an additional value, you may need to consider other options.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed February 23, 2017

Hotel premises are clean and spacious. Facilities are good (used a ballroom for a conference), as is service. Jap restaurant was amazing. Excellent connectivity to streets and just next to Kokura station (there's Colet department store and shopping streets around the station).

Room Tip: Top floor, with views to City.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed January 29, 2017

very nice and not too much expensive
a lot of restaurants inside the hotel but near the city center for a huge choice of restaurants. you have to pay to access the pool and the gym
rooms are very confortables, a very good hotel

Room Tip: room with ocean view
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed July 29, 2016 via mobile

This is a good hotel, close to the train station, huge reception and a good view from the room, many restaurants within the hotel, and the service is good. The down side is the price is high considering the value; the city Kokura is not a major city with many attractions and the building / room is getting old. Also I was shocked to learn that even hotel guest has to pay 5000yen to use their gym. This level of price for the guest is the same as 5star hotels in Tokyo or even higher.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo