“Interesting experience”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 June 2016

Several people told us to eat here. They did not say why. We were warned that the service was slow. That was all we knew when we went. It may be best if you do not know anything more.

OK, so you want more?

We arrived at dusk and seemed to enter from the back garden. The small hut-like room is lit only by candles. Four of the six tables were occupied. At one table someone was being taught how to play a card game by the other guests. Odd.
Its run by a local couple who claim to be professionally trained chefs. He wore a T Shirt and a traditional hat, and presented, not a menu, but a list of dishes they commonly serve and prices they usually charge. We ordered. And waited. And waited. We found a pack of playing cars and my son taught me how to play Uno. After about 90 minutes the food arrived. I had local trout cooked in a pouch, which was great. My son had a pepperoni pizza, which he liked less (they put tomatoes on it, which he removed). The food is cooked by a woman wearing a batter headlight and using a candle. There is a battery operated radio in one corner, which plays pleasant music with no commercials.
Afterwards we used the light of my son's iPhone to guide ourselves and a dutch couple back through the woods to our hotel.
It was a unique and relaxing experience. But if you go, pack a flashlight and your patience!

There are newer reviews for Las Velas

Reviewed 23 June 2016 via mobile

Take a walk through the eucalyptus forest and you will stumble upon the quaint gem! Go for sunset and embrace the no electricity and enjoy the candlelit atmosphere. ( bring a headlight to walk home with). We only had drinks there but the pizza gets rave reviews. Try Bolivia 's national drink, Chuflay or the hot wine drink! Warm and cozy atmosphere with a incredible view.

Reviewed 21 June 2016 via mobile

This restaurant has beautiful views and a unique vibe. Only one guy, Pablo, running the show and no electricity so expect to wait for more than an hour for your food. The trout was good but veggies average, the pizza my friend had was delicious. Overall good but overrated.

Reviewed 18 June 2016 via mobile

We came here based on a recommendation from our good friend. We were not disappointed. Coming from NZ I have had some great fresh fish in my life, but the trout was hands down the best fish I have ever tasted. Melt in your mouth material. Take a torch or your iPhone to walk back to your hostel. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 10 June 2016 via mobile

We had been recommended this restaurant and even though it's hidden away in a forest, we were determined to find it, and I'm so glad we did. It was an incredibly special, romantic experience to be cooked food by candle light with no electricity. There was a wait for the food, but sat with great company, a bottle of wine, in this stunning setting, this was a blessing and not a problem (people who are writing negative reviews based on this this should maybe reconsider who they're at dinner with, or eat some Doritos before....) Pablo even brought us over a pack of Uno cards to keep us entertained! Would highly recommend this special restaurant to anyone. I had baked kingfish and it was absolutely delicious.