“Beautiful retreat”

Etnia Pousada & Boutique
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Trancoso
Reviewed 28 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at Etnia Pousada for three nights recently. We had an amazing stay and cannot fault the level of welcome, customer service, breakfast, bar service, or the pool area and grounds.

We were the only guests staying there and very much enjoyed our time with Laura and the team. Laura organised a private yoga class for me by the pool on our second day which felt magical before breakfast. We spent two afternoons at the pousada's beach club which was also very welcoming and friendly.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this pousada although I am not sure whether I would choose a beach side location next time. It is a fair walk to the beach. The rooms were lovely, but we sometimes had a feeling of style over function, for example with not having room to put luggage so that it would open and having limited surfaces to put things on despite ample sized rooms. This did not detract from a wonderful stay. I did not want to leave when our time came to say goodbye.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HelenbarnesOslo
Etniabrasil, e-commerce analyst at Etnia Pousada & Boutique, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2012

Dear Mrs.Hellen, we feel so happy to your comment!
Our mission is help you to enjoy your time with us, and offer to you unforgetable experiences, when we can do this we feel realized.
You are part of our history and for you we seek continuous improvement, we will analyze carefully your comment and we hope see you again soon!

Reviewed 6 May 2012

I don't know where to begin. I spent 5 nights at Etnia pousada in Trancoso and it was heavenly. After a few weeks of traveling in Bahia, Etnia pousada provided me with total, utter relaxation and tranquility. The property in the town near the Quadrado is stunning. I stayed in the Gypsy suite, which is fun and bright and colorful, and the landscape of the property is filled with beautiful, tropical, flora. Every morning the cafe da manha is delicious, and served by lovely, smiling staff. The beach front property Clube do Mar is a bit of a walk from the property in town, but it is also not only gorgeous but employed with staff who are attentive and who seem happy to be there and wanting to make sure you enjoy your time on the beach. Andre and Flavia in the town property are absolutely lovely. More than anything, I felt so well cared for by Flavia, who made sure that I was enjoying my time and helped me so much with any plan I wanted to make from an in-room massage, to bus tickets to Salvador. All with a smile. Everyone there seems so happy to be in such a beautiful place, and the happiness is contagious. It is really a paradise. And the in-room massage was the best massage I have ever had in my life. If you have the opportunity to go to Brazil, the trip to the gorgeous peace of Etnia pousada is totally worth it and a must-do. I can't wait to go back. *sorry below I put excellent for the fitness facility but I didn't use it I don't know if there is one and I can't undo it*

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Ginevra F

Dear Mrs. Ginevra, thank you for your comment and all your kindness!
Our staff always works to delight our guests, and when our objective is achieved, it is our greatest reward.
We hope see you soon!

Reviewed 31 March 2012

The Etnia property is truly lovely, but what makes this experience so special is the quality of the team of people who work there and see to your every need. We spent four glorious days here following an active adventure around some of Brazil's landmarks. We arrived, took off our shoes and donned our bathing suits and that was it! It was restful and peaceful and beautiful --and we never wanted to leave! This is the place to go if you want to forget about the world and be pampered with great food and great service.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cabonini
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I read the reviews but seeing is believing. The pousada is lovely, set among mature trees, a large pool and chalets spread out on the property. Each one has a theme, but very simply decorated and nothing too much. The rooms are very spacious, a loft, large shower, large everything. Beautiful cafe da manha! Service is terrrific but not doting. And lunches and dinners better than many restaurants in Trancoso.
But the best - they have a pousada on the beach that guests have preference - it's literally perfect - pool, chaises, umbrellas, private and very good food.

Room Tip: they are all excellent
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank brasilboy
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Etnia is very exclusive, with only eight bungalows, each with a different decor.
I stayed for three nights at the mediterranean bungalow, which was very spacious, confortable, clean and nicely decorated.
Staff was very nice, friendly and helpful during all our stay.
Breakfast is very good, with a lot of options, and it is served next to the pool, which is also very nice.
Location is perfect. A 3-minute walk and your are at the "Quadrado", where you will find the best restaurants in town (I recommend O Cacau, El Gordo, Capim Santo and Cantinho Doce).
In fact, it is a 15/20-minute walk until the beach and 25/30 min until the Etnia Clube de Mar, but most of the hotels are about this same distance, unless you prefer to stay in one of the hotels by the beach. You will be very close to the "Quadrado" and yet you will enjoy a quiet and beautiful environment. I think the best deal is to walk farther to the beach during the day and closer to the Quadrado at night.

I highly recommend this place and will definitely come back.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LordBY
Reviewed 11 January 2012

My wife and I (minus 2-year old son) stayed here for in October for a well-deserved week off. As prices in Brazil have gone through the roof in the past two years, Etnia seemed like a sensible option in Trancoso, a place that has been hijacked by rich Paulistas (those born in the state of São Paulo). We booked a recently renovated room, the Goa (all rooms are unique and have themes like "morocco", "mediterraneo", hence the name Etnia), and liked it very much. The pousada itself is also very nice and quiet, and they say they have a no-child policy. Staff is very kind, as usually are the people from northeastern Brazil, and so are the owners, one Brazilian and one Italian. But is very important to note that this pousada is wrongly located in Google Maps. In it, it looks like it's very close to the beach, whereas in reality it is a 30-minute walk. It is actually located before the "quadrado" (although in portuguese quadrado literally means "square", as in the geometric figure, the word for square as in Leicester Square is "praça"), so you have to cross it and go down a long hill before you get to the beach. And the pousada website does not locate it, which looks suspicious to me. But one very nice thing about Etnia is that the owners recently opened a beachfront pousada (3x the price) where guests can spend the day for free. And just to make the rich paulistas some justice, the fact they (and some europeans too) bought the whole place helped keep central Trancoso the way it used to be, while most small beachfront cities in northeastern Brazil have been ravaged by chain hotels and absolute lack of planning and/or architectural taste.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Frederico N
Reviewed 12 December 2011

there is no words to discribe how cozy can this pousada be. Every room has a special decoration and the swmming pool is really nice. The owers are really nice and warm people and I love the food. I really want to come back as soon as possible.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends