“wonderful service and beautiful inn. go to this island!”

Pousada Ancoradouro Inn
Ranked #2 of 96 Ilha Grande B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I stayed in a beach-front room with a friend for three nights and it was wonderful. 5 minute walk from the village and an amazing view of the harbor. Very clean and comfortably cool. The staff struggle with English but they have a translating program on the computer so we made it work. PLUS, after I left, I lost my wallet in Rio. A saint found it and the only way to find me was the receipt from the Pousada. The Pousada staff went out of their way to get in touch with me and help me (thankfully) reunite with my wallet. Above and beyond.

As an added note: it was kind of hard to get to the island until we found a Rio transfer service through GreenToad.com. $50 US each way and much faster and less stress than the public transport options (and actually a bit less expensive).

Room Tip: ocean view room wasn't much more expensive and AMAZING view
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Pousada Ancoradouro Inn

Reviewed 1 May 2011

This great little hotel on Ilha Grande is 5 minutes walk along the beach from the main jetty in Abraao. The rooms are simple but clean and the place is well presented. The proprietor speaks some English and couldn't do enough to help. Very much recommended.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank m531
Reviewed 8 April 2011

I loved staying here at Ancoradouro! I could not have asked for a better location-close enough to walk to everything but far enough away to be quiet at night. The room was very clean and I had a small fridge to keep cool drinks close at hand. The safe was very convenient as well. I had a small problem with the shower that was resolved quickly in spite of my terrible Brasilian Portuguese. The small garden was a great place to sit and watch the sun come up. Breakfast was wonderful-all the fruit I could eat. I would move in tomorrow if I could.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank chuzla
Reviewed 11 January 2011

My partner and I were there around Easter 2010 and were overly pleased with Ancoradouro and their staff. Every email previous to our arrival was answered correctly and politely, and there was someone waiting for us at the ferry terminal upon our arrival. They also recommended a great tour agency for our transfers in-out of Rio. The rooms were great, the location is perfect and the staff is really friendly. So much so that when I got utterly sick the last night, they went to the trouble of calling the local clinic to come and pick me up, and prepared special food for me that night and the next morning. Amazing. I would totally recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2010

I think this pousada in Ilha grande has one of the best personnel I found in Brazil. Meme was very helpful to help me to change the schedule, so the owner. The pousada itself is a bit above average (do not forget the standard there), clean and with nice breakfast. The best is the location (close the action of the hostels) and the personnel again. Highly recommended for a good stay in this faboulous place.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank nick187
Reviewed 30 April 2010

Staff were super friendly. Breakfast was great. The room was very clean. Overall, a great place to stay on the island.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 April 2010

We loved it!!!! The sound of the waves at night was the most calming thing ever. My boygriend and I took a room with an ocean view on the first floor.
The hotel is a bit far from the center of the village (15 min walk), but its worth it.
This little beach is so charming! The pousada itself is very nice- a clean, simple, very comfortable design. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. We loved absolutely everything about this place. The breakfast was rather small, yet delicious.
I would expect it to be a bit cheaper though - but still - it was worth every penny.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple