All reviewscopacabana beachperfect locationhotel restaurantroofcarnival
Reviewed September 25, 2016

This hotel has a fantastic location, right across the street from Copacabana, and with sweeping views of the beach. It is also right next to Praça do Lido, which is one of the three locations in Rio where the direct shuttle vans to the Cristo depart from and return to (super, super convenient, especially if you're trying to be amongst the first to go up in the morning). It is also a quick taxi ride to Pão de Açucar, Rio Centro, etc., and an easy walk to the metro.

Apart from the excellent location, the rooms and services were rather underwhelming. For starters, I made special request to be on a higher floor while booking online, to which they never responded. I emailed again, and also never received a response. I called multiple times, and either never got an answer, was passed around between personnel (waiting nearly a half hour one time), or told that the person I needed to talk to wasn't there. I even speak passable Portuguese, which I had read in other reviews leads to receiving better service at this hotel.

Upon arrival, check-in was timely and the bellhop was very friendly, however, as soon as we got up to the room he showed us how to turn on the AC using a switch, at which time I asked him where the remote was to adjust the temperature, and was told that there are no remotes, but you can call the front desk to have someone come up to change the temperature for you. For a beachfront Copacabana hotel running over $100 USD/night, this was not very impressive, though the bellhop was apologetic and acknowledged that this was a "falta de serviço" (he seemed very used to apologizing for this).

In other news, the room itself was not particularly clean, and I was quite thankful I had a travel pack of clorox wipes with me. The wifi was incredibly slow, and oftentimes from the room I could not so much as send or receive a text message or download an email. It was better in the breakfast area and lobby. On a more positive note, there was always plenty of hot water and good water pressure.

All in all, I try to write reviews as objectively and positively as possible, but I had a bit higher hopes for this hotel. Luckily, Rio is an incredible city, and there is no reason to spend much of any time sitting in your hotel, so we had a great time nonetheless!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicole H
Reviewed September 17, 2016

On the beach front ( 6 way highway inbeteeen all the hôtels and the beach but easy to cross) Hotel clean with restaurant efficient and for me good choice of buffet breakfast . Important you choose your room All standard rooms face the back highrise courtyard, Rooms at the front face the beach , Only rooms front facing on 10th to 12th floor have a calcony. There is a terrace on the roof with 20 sun chairs a few tables and a clean 8m-3m pool. My room had a leaky loo but apart from that no complaints

Room Tip: see notes above , Only Superior rooms have sea views with balconies floorrs 10-12
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank sportsjournalist
Reviewed August 26, 2016

I spent about 10 nights in this hotel while covering the 2016 Rio Olympics. I should mention, incidentally, that this was an official media hotel as designated by the Rio Olympics organizing committee.

The best thing is undoubtedly the view and location. Can literally see for miles on a sunny day, and the subway/metro station is barely a five-minute walk.

But overall, I think I definitely overpaid for this hotel. The rooms seemed to be recently refurbished in time for the Rio Games, but it was a bit cheap. In the bathroom, the pipe coming from the basin twice leaked. The TV was small, the wifi often slow. The mattress felt like I was sleeping on a piece of foam.

The windows also did not shut properly, which was irritating, given there is loud music coming from Copacabana beach every night.

The breakfast was included in my price. They did try, but the food wasn't great. I ended up going to a local cafe most mornings unless I was in a real rush.

All in all, I thought the hotel was perfectly adequate - it was clean, it had a rooftop pool (though I never used it), and the staff were friendly and did try their best. But it's definitely a *budget* hotel, that jacked up its prices for the world's largest multi-sport event.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean are noisy late at night
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Hugo L
Reviewed August 24, 2016 via mobile

This was my last night treat after 3 weeks of hostels. It was fabulous! I had been allocated a room overlooking the beach despite only booking a single not overlooking the beach...what an upgrade! Room was large, if a tad noisy (not big on double glazing) but as the overwhelming noise was the crash of the ocean, who's complaining!
Ordered room service which was fantastic...steak sandwich and a beer for 41reais (about £10)!
Staff very attentive.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Fiona D
Reviewed July 11, 2016 via mobile

Location of the hotel is great, buffet was great also. Only complaints: beds were old ans stiff, staff at the counter not nice (not all of them). For what we payed it was more than we expected, I would totally recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends