Folclore Edison Carneiro Museum
Open today: 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Review Highlights

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Rio de Janeiro
from US$67.00
More Info
1 result
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 20, 2018

I love Rio and travel there often. This museum is always on my to-do list: It's free, showcases beautiful and varied pieces, and has a marvelous, inexpensive gift shop. It is easy to get to via bus or metro, and the surrounding area is an interesting slice of non-tourist Rio. I would still recommend it.
Sadly, however, the recent renovations have stripped away much of what I used to love about the museum. Gone is the room stuffed with wonderful rustic, colorful toys. Gone are the exceptional costumes celebrating African Orixas. Gone are the large mechanical circus and band, which an attendant would power up for visitors. And gone are the life-sized dioramas showing how hand-made tools and items were actually used in households and ranches.
There are still many lovely objects on display, but far, far, far fewer than before. And some objects are represented by photos or video instead of the originals.
When I visited, the front room that typically showcased the work of current artists and craftspeople stood empty. I hope this is temporary, since the featured work was always beautiful and even offered for sale in the gift shop.
The gift shop has been expanded, and now features even more pottery, textiles, sculpture, and printed items. The prices are very reasonable.