“Awesome location for a great hotel”

Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana
Ranked #75 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Having been introduced to the Sofitel brand in Bogota, Colombia, I was excited to experience the quality and attention to detail I have come to expect for the hotel line.

The check in was quick and painless. Satisfied with a passport scan and a pre credit card swipe I was off to my room that looked out at the Copacabana beach. The hotel is situated at the bottom end of the famous beach giving the visitor a spectacular view of the curve of the sands against the breaking waves.

The hotel has a beach service that provides a lounge chair for sun bathing and an umbrella for those trying to read a book or kindle under the solar glare. I was offered a bowl of cool fruit while I sat out on the beach but I refused. I was more interested in the rays than in filling my mouth. Beside the service on the beach was another stand that was run privately for the general tourist for paddle surfing. This is a sport where the surfer stands on an oversized surf board and paddles out into the bay and around the surf. While I didn't experience that adventure I saw several first-timers who were taking lessons before taking the next step. They looked happy practicing there moves.

The food at the hotel restaurant was delicious and the service was quick and efficient. I was created with a smile and a "Bon Jour" or Bon Soir" throughout the hotel.

The room I had was small, sporting 2 european sized twin beds. I left a little cramped but I managed not to fall off of the narrow beds. The television carried all the South American channels with a handful of the local Brazilian stations. There was no direct TV satellite access and the movies available for watching came from a selection of DVD's available at the front desk to be viewed int he DVD player in the room.

I didn't notice many families but I noticed a lot of advertisements directed toward families. This cold mean that they are trying to bring more families in or I simply wasn't around when the families normally arrive for vacation.

I did see a lot of fellow business men and women as the hotel manages a small convention center on one of the lower floors. It is definitely a center to share drinks with clients and close deals.

Room Tip: Although the majority f the rooms have an ocean view, there are a few that do not. So for your great...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
SofitelRDJCopacabana, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Bonjour and thank you for your nice feedback.
Indeed Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana is ideally located.
I am very pleased that you found the staff incredibly helpful and that you made the most of our beach service.
I hope to welcome you soon.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

Sofitel is a true 5* hotel in the heart of Rio de Janeiro, overlooking Copacabana’s beach. I stayed several times in the hotel for business. Rooms are good sized, beds are great, and bathrooms have all the needed amenities (including l’Occitane toiletries). The hotel has already replaced old alarm clocks by iPod playing decks, which is a nice change. My only complaints about the room are (i) lighting – if you have to work in your room, artificial lighting is scarce and (ii) lack of reliability of the wifi connection (especially for videocalls).
Service is overall very good. No complaints about laundry, room service or gym. Reception staff was helpful and always tried to accommodate my needs. Breakfast was good, with a lot of variety, and in a nice scenario with beach view. I also enjoyed that the waiter learnt my habits and brought me every morning my hot skimmed milk. However, whenever there were big events going in the hotel, breakfast got quite noisy and a bit chaotic – not good if you’re planning to have a business chat over breakfast.
I stayed a couple of times in the executive floor (Club Millésimme) – rooms are quite similar (with a better hairdryer, among other things), but service is much more exlusive. Check in/out is in a separate desk, breakfast is in the top floor, and every night wine is served with snacks.
I would definitely stay back at Sofitel if I return to Rio on business (it is much better than the only comparison I have – Caesar Park).

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank worldtrav11

I thank you for your feedback.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana and that you appreciated the friendliness of our the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon, allowing to create some more Magnifique memories in Rio de Janeiro.

With my best regards,

Reviewed 22 March 2012

The hotel location is in a great - right at the end of Copacabana beach. Standard rooms are tight on space but the suites are great.

For the price of this hotel, I found it to be ok. Clean rooms, good beds, strong AC units, good water pressure and rooms have a fridge and safe. The pool and patio are really nice as well and are on the lower level with direct views of the beach.

Concierge was great and extremely helpful. I'd stay here again only if if the price went down. Otherwise you can probably find a comparable hotel at a lower rate someplace else.

Room Tip: Just because a room is "Deluxe", it's still the same size as a standard/classic room...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Bonjour and thank you for your lovely feedback.
I am glad to hear that you felt that the staff was very nice and helpful and that the room was to your satisfaction.
We very much hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 20 March 2012

Excellent location (directly at Copacababa and close to Ipanema), comfortable and spacious room. Large and delicious breakfast buffet. The staff was friendly and welcoming at anytime. Everything in line with the Sofitel standard, but not more. You get what you pay for. In general, I think that the Hotel needs a complete makeover. It has been built probably in the late sixties and nothing has been changed since then. The Pool/Spa area, Bar area any anything else are desperate for a complete renovation. All together a good, but old fashioned Sofitel Hotel. Most likely I would try the Copacabana Palace Hotel next time since room rates are similar, but the copacabana palace is newly renovated and lokated directly at the copacabana beach as well.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Bonjour and thank you for your nice feedback.
Indeed Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana is ideally located and I am glad to hear that you felt the staff was very nice and helpful.
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our infrastructure and I will certainly pass your feedback onto the Chief Engineer.
We pride ourselves in offering a high level of service; I hope that you will give us the opportunity to prove this to you when you next visit Rio de Janeiro.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 7 March 2012

This hotel was a little disappointing.

I am a member of the Accor hotel chain and when we arrived to the hotel we where told our room was not facing the beach but other buildings.. this was a let down when on there members booking website it stated view rooms ??

The Club Floor is nice with great service.. Staff down stairs in reception/concierge are not very interested in hotel guests.. hard to get someone to smile.

Overall the rooms are nice and clean.. housekeeping are fantastic..

Overall felt let down especially when you pay top dollar at the hotel.. I am sure there are better hotels on the beach with beach views without the price tag.

Room Tip: Book on 8th floor - Make sure you have in writing BEACH View
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mgpacific0-1
Reviewed 3 March 2012

There are many positives about this hotel. We booked late and had to take a room on the executive floor which wasn't cheap but was fantastic value.
It was one of the most generous lounges we have ever experienced. (A lovely breakfast with eggs to order, a free bar until midnight, lunch and dinner taps style food and cheese and bread, and cakes for afternoon tea) All these were taken on a lounge with fine views of Corcovado Other benefits were a free piece of laundry and a free minibar with beer and soft drinks. We were introduced to a butler but he was on days off from our arrival evening until the day we left 4 days later so not sure if he would have been useful. Reception and the concierge were helpful so not sure what he would have added.
The room decor is bland as others have said but not offensive but the bed was large and comfortable. There was a great shower but no bath. We ate in Pre Catalan and Atlantic restaurant we enjoyed both. They were well priced with good service, lovely Sofitel bread and fine views and Copacabana and Sugar loaf.
The two pools were small and sun loungers a little short at the weekend, although there was an area on the beach with several more and the hotel was busy with the Carnaval winners parade.
It was very hot when we were in Rio but the situation of the hotel made it easy to walk to both Copacabana and Ipanema for an early morning stroll.
Just one negative- The hotel cars. We were looking for a taxi on the first day. There is a rank adjacent to the hotel. We were offered a hotel car for a fixed price of 50 reals to Corcovada. That seemed OK so we took it. The return journey cost about half that. Neither driver spoke English so there was no advantage to the hotel cars. I would definitely avoid these in future

Room Tip: Rooms at the back on lower floors are overlooked by other buildings and might be a bit dark
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Edinburghtraveller
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We spent the last three nights of our 'tour' of Brazil in the Sofitel, Rio. We normally go for smaller boutique hotels so not really looking forward to our stay. We selected the hotel for its wonderful location. The location proved to be ideal with easy access to both famous beaches, walking distance to the fort and very secure. However the highlight of our stay was the great customer service we received from all the staff. I don't think we have stayed in a large hotel where absolutely every member of the staff was friendly, helpful and went the extra mile to make our short stay comfortable and memorable. We had one of the rooms with a balcony and beach view. There are some rooms that look out to the back which I doubt are as nice. The room was of a good size but not massive. We enjoyed the wonderful sights of Rio and the friendly luxury of the Sofitel.

Room Tip: Ask / pay for a room with a beach view and balcony. The higher the better.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple