Having been introduced to the Sofitel brand in Bogota, Colombia, I was excited to experience the quality and attention to detail I have come to expect for the hotel line.
The check in was quick and painless. Satisfied with a passport scan and a pre credit card swipe I was off to my room that looked out at the Copacabana beach. The hotel is situated at the bottom end of the famous beach giving the visitor a spectacular view of the curve of the sands against the breaking waves.
The hotel has a beach service that provides a lounge chair for sun bathing and an umbrella for those trying to read a book or kindle under the solar glare. I was offered a bowl of cool fruit while I sat out on the beach but I refused. I was more interested in the rays than in filling my mouth. Beside the service on the beach was another stand that was run privately for the general tourist for paddle surfing. This is a sport where the surfer stands on an oversized surf board and paddles out into the bay and around the surf. While I didn't experience that adventure I saw several first-timers who were taking lessons before taking the next step. They looked happy practicing there moves.
The food at the hotel restaurant was delicious and the service was quick and efficient. I was created with a smile and a "Bon Jour" or Bon Soir" throughout the hotel.
The room I had was small, sporting 2 european sized twin beds. I left a little cramped but I managed not to fall off of the narrow beds. The television carried all the South American channels with a handful of the local Brazilian stations. There was no direct TV satellite access and the movies available for watching came from a selection of DVD's available at the front desk to be viewed int he DVD player in the room.
I didn't notice many families but I noticed a lot of advertisements directed toward families. This cold mean that they are trying to bring more families in or I simply wasn't around when the families normally arrive for vacation.
I did see a lot of fellow business men and women as the hotel manages a small convention center on one of the lower floors. It is definitely a center to share drinks with clients and close deals.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The location of Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana is a splendid one. It leaves the guest practically leaning over Copacabana beach – one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. It is beside Ipanema, a charming neighborhood full of attractions, immortalized in a song by Tom Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes, “Garota de Ipanema”.Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana is considered one of the most prestigious Brazilian luxury hotels, combining French savoir-faire with Carioca charm.Enjoy our comfortable apartments with balconies and the MyBed bed, the executive floor with Club Millésime services – a new concept in personalized service, beach service, two pools and many other facilities, in addition to the award winning cuisine here at Sofitel.Situated near the main business centers in the city, the hotel offers an ample and versatile Convention Center, and also a modern Board Meeting Room, a fully equipped room with a view of Copacabana beach, uniting comfort and personalized services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Travelocity.ca, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Rio De Janeiro Copacabana Hotel Rio De Janeiro
- Accor Rio De Janeiro
- Rio De Janeiro Sofitel
- Sofitel Rio De Janeiro Copacabana Brazil