1,994 results
All reviewscaesar parkbeach servicerooftop restaurantjunior suitefeijoadaconcierge staffocean viewperfect locationbeach chairscorner roomlate checksmall poolrestaurants and barschrist the redeemeripanemafloorgym
Reviewed January 5, 2018

We enjoyed our two stay here a lot! The room was very spacious and we had excellent views of the ocean from the 17th floor. The bathroom was a little on the dated side, so I would recommend Sofitel look at improving this considering the price tag.

Nevertheless, the staff were all excellent, the breakfast was really ample and the bed supremely comfortable. After backpacking around South America for three months, we slept like babies!

if you are looking for a hotel right on the beach front in Ipanema, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: 1704 was a great room. Slap bang in the middle of all ocean view rooms, 17th floor.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Netto M, General Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Ipanema, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2018

Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Ipanema.

Happy New Year!

Reviewed January 3, 2018 via mobile

This hotel is located in the best part in Rio. The service is great and room is nice and newly furnished. I would recommend to visit Rocinha favela during the day other than just going to the beaches around or those famous scenic points like sugarloaf. It is definitely worth a visit to gain insights to what normal ordinary life is about when you are there in a city of rich and poor. After hours, grab a drink at the hotel rooftop bar to relax.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Thank Joyce T.S. L
Netto M, General Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Ipanema, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2018

Dear Joyce,

Happy New Year!

Reviewed January 3, 2018

I stayed at Sofitel Ipanema in Dec prior to Reveillon. It is a very good hotel: old but clean, great views if you're in an ocean front room. The hotel's best asset is the staff: very obliging and super helpful. Room was aged but functional and luxurious. No complementary tea, or coffee or water which is weird for a hotel of that status. My biggest disappointment was the lack of any information provided by the hotel regarding beach safety. The hotel provides complementary sun beds and towels which is great. I went for a swim after we landed the night before in a thunderstorm. The water looked clean initially, but in a few seconds I found myself swimming between a dead cockroach, dirt fluff balls, and what looked like human waste. I went to hotel reception to ask if there's any advice on water safety. They laughed and said that locals don't care, and it's common knowledge amongst locals that the sewage from the favelas washes into the beach after the storm, I asked to see the manager, and he said that they rely on local authorities and lifeguards to provide info. He gave me the website address which may give some info re beach cleanliness: praialimpa.net but the accuracy uncertain. Enjoy the hotel, but don't put your head under water!

1  Thank melbournetraveller99
Reviewed January 3, 2018 via mobile

Having stayed here before when under its previous ownership, I was disappointed this time around. My room was rather clinical, service often scatty in the restaurants (orders often forgotten), the pool area deeply uninspiring (and lacking enough umbrellas and ventilation), there were queues for breakfast and a shortage of sunbeds at time on the beach. Clearly the hotel struggled with full occupancy. Moreover, at times the service felt impersonal (Manuel excepted on the front desk). It wasnt all bad - the food was generally good and gym very well equipped. But this was anything but a 5 star experience. The dilemma for for those wanting to stay on Ipanema (a much nicer beach than Copacabana) is that it only has a small handful of hotels...tough one.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
Netto M, General Manager at Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Ipanema, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Ipanema. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel Hotels & Resorts, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Reviewed January 3, 2018

The location of this hotel deserves a 5 star rating. It's directly across from Ipanema beach with great views from the 23rd floor rooftop bar and the ocean facing rooms. The location also feels safe (relative to Rio) and is within easy walking distance of some great restaurants, bars, and lounges. The front of house staff is efficient, friendly and helpful. They have a very present security team in the front that we appreciated. We stayed over the New Year holiday and the hotel was busy.

However, the physical building itself and rooms are 3 star. The rooms are in a desperate need of a renovation. The outside of the building is a bit dreary and the rooms while clean need updating with respect to the bathroom and electric plugs and lights. It feels a bit tired and off-brand for a Sofitel. The hotel had a building wide blackout for about an hour but was fixed with little fuss.

Housekeeping was incredibly inconsistent. Sometimes they serviced your room in the morning or early afternoon as in normal but sometimes they didn't clean the room (We would have to call to have it cleaned) or they cleaned it much later than normal. The quality of housekeeping was inconsistent as well.

There is a Nespresso machine however the pods are quite expensive. We actually walked down to the Nespresso store a few minutes away and bought our own pods which is about 10x cheaper.

We sometimes got turn down service, some nights we didn't . When we got turn down service, it was inconsistent as to what was serviced (sometimes we would get fresh towels, sometime we wouldn't).
If you are looking for a great location and a decent hotel (and don't mind paying 5 star prices) then the Sofitel will work fine.

Room Tip: Ocean Front views are great if you don't mind paying top price.

Dear Mr. Scot T.,