“Good for the beach-vacation - no good for business”

Praia Ipanema Hotel
Ranked #83 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Bayreuth, Germany
“Good for the beach-vacation - no good for business”
Reviewed 21 October 2010

Unfortunately a business trip brought me into this hotel - there is nothing really bad to say about this hotel and I would probably go there again if I would be around for leisure, but not for business. There is simply a lack in internet-access (no wlan, no lan - only business center), which is essential in nowadays business trips. The business center has restricted opening hours, which do not really solve this problem.
The hotel is nicely located right at the beach and easy to access by car.
The rooms are simple, but clean and okay.
Staff was very friendly and didn't even charge me an early check-in-fee (or even a full night), although I arrived extremely early at appr. 6 a.m. . They just charged the breakfast for that morning - very kind.

• Stayed June 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Palm Desert, California
Reviewed 30 August 2010

I'm brazilian! I'm here in Los Angeles for about 20 years and the-Hotel Praia Ipanema it was an is big disappointment.
If you want the best , stay at the best : Go to Marriott ! @ Copacabana Beach, they are 5 stars for sure.
NOT Hotel Praia Ipanema.
What they show on the website is NOT true at all. I went there in march 2010 and I love Rio but the hotel .... They are not good with clean , very expensive, I was very upset with the fact that they really didn't care about my complains about cleaning the room. The rooms stink cigarettes and they said to me NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO SMOKE HERE! Not true at all !
They did not have the basics of hospitality, they did not care a bit of making me happy as a client. Not good at all. The room was very dirty and the noise from traffic very bad.
My name is Rosely you want you can contact me any time mtrosely@yahoo.com.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1morungaba
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 June 2010

I stayed here for 4 nights in May 2010. I realise that the hotel is across the road from the beach but that is no reason for my room to be full of sand (especially given I didn't go to the beach). The apointments in the room were extremely tired and long past upgrade date, particularly considering the price of the hotel. Breakfast was very ordinary and very badly organised. Resturant was expensive with ordinary food and extremely dated decor. Front Desk staff attitude ranged from open disinterest to downright rude.

Good points were the great location (which they are obviously overtrading on) and the porters were really nice guys.

One of the only hotels right on the beach at Ipanema, which is close to its sole saving grace.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 5 June 2010

I stayed nine days. Not good value for money. The hotel needs a serious restructure. Noisy, windy. The personnel, with a few exeptions - incuding at the reception, was not helpful nor very friendly. Coins disapperead from my room. The swimming pool is a joke and not usable. inernet with a cable was good but I had to pay 40 real/day extra. Aircondition was too strong or too noisy or unhealthy. Many customers were complaining but the hotel was consistely fully booked.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
South London
Reviewed 29 May 2010

I spent so much time researching where to stay in Rio. There is a lot on offer but it is hard to find somewhere that ticks all the boxes and is not too expensive.
It is really worthwhile looking for special offers on all the various websites.
Praia Ipanema's location is great. The beach outside is great. We felt safe on the beach (although we never took anything valuable or more than a few Raes with us) and enjoyed being part of the city on the beach. The rest of the area (border of Leblon and Ipanema) is safe for walking about in, clean and it is easy to reach other parts of Rio)
We arrived at the hotel the night the rain flooded the city. Marcio on reception who welcomed us is the best person in the hotel (oh and one of the porters/door men and the girl who looks after breakfast on the mezzanine and the waitress on the top floor, whose names I forget) but otherwise the staff don't try very hard and are not willing to smile or look after you.
Get a good deal online to get one of the better rooms so you can have breakfast on the top floor. The rooms are nicer and breakfast a much better experience in the smaller breakfast room. Food is nicer, service better and atmosphere calmer.
Probably as with all hotels (except the newest) this hotel has some rough edges - not the best Air Con, noisy windows and doors ( wind wistles through gaps). But everything was clean. You have to pay for the slow internet but if you have an iphone or similar you could go to "Shopping Leblon" an indoor shopping mall to get free wifi or use a cheaper internet cafe.

Use the safe in your room. We left the room quickly one day (after all the rain the sun was finally out so we were dashing to the beach) and left cash in the pockets of some trousers. When we returned a couple of hours later the cash from one of the trouser pockets was gone. We had not mis-counted or mislaid the cash since my boyfriend remembered putting, very consciously, a 100 Reas note in one pocket and smaller notes in the other (so that our cash was split over different pockets in case of the unlikely event of being pickpocketed) . The 100 was still there but the 50 Reas in small notes was gone.
My boyfriend went to reception to report the theft. Our room had just been cleaned when we had been out so the cleaners seemed the logical suspects. The head of reception was not very sympathetic and asked why we had not used our safe (we usually did incedently). The head of house keeping came up to the room, with the cleaners. She also was un sympathetic. The hotel would not handle the matter themselves and would only offer to call the police. This was not the way we wished to proceed - especially with the cleaners standing in our room with us.
It seemed sad that the hotel does not encourage a sense and practice of trust between itself, its staff and its clients. It left us feeling like idiots. Since the matter was not taken seriously we were really couldn't say for sure if the cleaners were responsible or not and yet we had to continue to see them for the remaining days of our stay. If the hotel had in some small way apologised, sympathised or even better taken responsibility we would have felt happier and been more satisfied customers
We had felt welcomed and happy at the hotel, especially due to Marcio who naturally wants to look after people and make them happy - which is quiet simply done with a smile and a hello and a little effort to find the answer to questions. But the other reception staff in particular do not seem to wish to help, are surly and need training - from Marcio - on the basics of being pleasant.
That all said I would recommend the hotel as I am not sure it is any worse than most other hotels in Rio.
In fact when our flight was canceled due to the Volcanic Ash, we returned to the hotel for another 5 days.
If you stay there say hello to Marcio for us.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 12 April 2010

We stayed three nights at this hotel in early March. The location is great, and the views from the room amazing (ours was north over the town and beach). We thought our room was fine -- clean with all the usual amenities. You do pay extra for the safe, but the fee is not high. The hallways are a bit odd - neon lights give a bit of a 1980s Miami Vice feel. Breakfast was good, with properly cooked eggs upon request. We did not eat dinner at the hotel, as Rio has so many good food options.

There have been a lot of complaints about the service at the hotel, but we thought it was fine. Staff spoke English (or enough of it anyway), and were generally helpful, providing directions, ordering taxis, giving food recommendations etc. I have subtracted one star, however, because of a bizarre happening with our room lock. One morning, the lock simply malfunctioned and did not lock at all. Apparently the batteries in the lock had died. Although the staff quickly replaced them, it was a little disconcerting, and if I hadn't noticed, the room would have stayed open all day.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay here. The price is fairly steep - but then again, you're right on one of the most famous beaches in the world.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
The West Country
Reviewed 6 April 2010

A very modern hotel situated on Ipanema. My room had fantastic views of Ipanema beach and the sea. The rooms are clean and functional and beach towels are provided. Restaurants are in walking distance of hotel. The hotel bar is very small - more of a cafe. Did not eat in the hotel so cannot comment on the food. Only there one night so difficult to pick up on some things but first impressions were good - clean and efficient with a great location. If you are taking a holiday in Rio this would be a good beachfront hotel. A couple of minor things - you are charged extra for the room safe which seems a bit off given Rio's reputation for crime and we had a problem with check in but that was probably the company I was working with rather than the hotel. As usual (for me anyway) the air conditioning was fiddly and difficult to set to the right temperature which prevented me from getting a good night's sleep. I would certainly recommend it as a holiday hotel if you want to step out of the hotel and sit down on Ipanema beach.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business