“The taxi-boy/concierge tried to trick me!”

Augusto's Rio Copa Hotel
Ranked #77 of 281 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Berlin, Germany
“The taxi-boy/concierge tried to trick me!”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I stayed in Best Western's Rio Copa for 2 nights. Overall it was alright (+good location,-noice coming from the big street) but when I left to the airport a senior member of the door staff tried to trick me with the taxi! He told me that it would cost 80 Reais and he would tell the driver not to take more. Since I have read in aguide that it would cost 56, I asked him whether he was sure about that. He replied things have changed and I should wait in the hotel lobby ... Instead of waiting inside I followed him and saw him talking with the taxi driver (normal yellow taxi) ... I was suspicious and decided to look for another taxi which at the end cost 48!
When i called the hotel from the airport, the guy who picked up listened to the story and put me on hold for more than 5 minutes (which was the moment when I hnug up) ... Things which are not necessary uncommon for an average hotel in south america, for a 4 star hotel (and the price you pay there) unbelievable!

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank Pitzinger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Stayed here for three nights on a short visit to Rio and had no much option since it was during the carnival and all hotels were full and overpriced.
A remarkable Very fast check in and out and Location is excllent. 2 min to walk on left side tp COPACABANA beach and on the other side 3 min walk to Rio Sul shopping centre. Walking through tunnel was safe since the police were there all day and night. While you will find in other reviews a warning not walk through the tunnel.
Hotel rooms are ok and it look as old and then renovated. However, the breakfast buff and friendly staff plus free internet makes you feel satisfied and value for money.
The swimming pool is very small and if you are after swimming pool then this hotel is not suitable. Also there is no electronic safe box in the hotel and you have to rent the lock (3 Reyal per day) which is not fare deal and specially for BEST WESTERN hotels.
One final thing to worn the traveler, when I checked out one of the hotel staff offer me a taxi/car to take me to the hotel and wanted to charge me twice the rate (80 Reyal). And since I knew its only cost 50 Reyal , he agreed to my price. But it was a negative mark.
Overall, I’m satisfied and good place to stay in again.

Room Tip: High floor rooms with road view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Harrasi
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in November 2011 and got a very reasonable price by booking in advance - the same price as a hostel in Ipanema. It is a Best Western, so not much character or overly special, but we knew to expect that on our budget! Nevertheless the rooms were clean and spacious. Not much of a view but that didn't worry us. The staff were very friendly, nothing was too much trouble, and the breakfast had a huge amount of choice. We didn't use the gym or the pool, but although small, looked clean and well kept. The hotel is a few blocks from the beach, but on a main street so well lit in the evenings, and on all the major bus routes for travelling around Rio. Would not hesitate to stay there again if I just wanted a basic base for exploring the city

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank annampf
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Is a nice hotel, reception provide fresh juice on arrival clean safe affordable, Rio is not cheap, breakfast again well presented, large, front desk organize tours and drop off at the airport, everybody smile will return? sure, nice experience.

Room Tip: close to everything
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank elytenrc
Meadville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I chose this hotel based on the good reviews I read on this site. I am quite pleased with my decision mainly because I forgot to lock my safe one day and everything was still there after cleaning staff was in plus maintenance staff fixed a curtain. Its a little walk to the beach but I compromised this for safety, price and a good review. I checked out some of the other hotels that where on the beach but each one had bad reviews on here for robbery, dirty rooms, bad staff, etc. The breakfast was great (free) and menu prices reasonable. A turkey sandwich was 9 reals and was surprisingly good. The grocery story is two blocks so u can stock the fridge if you desire to save money. If your a 4 star person you may not like this hotel but for the value and safety it was a great choice for me

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GringoAmigo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We stayed at the Best Western Rio Copa in October 2011 and found it to be a very good value, as Rio can be quite expensive. The room was clean, the location was good - just a 5 min. walk to Copacabana beach and about 5-10 min. walk to get to restaurants. It is a bit of a walk to Ipanema Beach (probably 45 min.) and you really can't walk to some of the other attractions (Corcovado, Sugerloaf), but you can get a taxi pretty easily (and Rio is such a big city that it's pretty much impossible to be near everything). The only slight negative is that Av Princesa Isabela is a fairly busy road (but you can't hear it from the rooms). Overall we were very happy with our stay at the BW Rio Copa and would definitely consider it again if we found ourselves in Rio.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kathy S
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We visit Rio Copa for third time since 2008. Why? Because it's a nice place and near to everything in the lovely city Rio de Janeiro. They serve us a very fine breakfast with all you can wish.
The staff is extraordinary polite and nice to us. Some of them even reconaise us from our last stay and welcome us with a huge smile. We like that. The rooms is big and very clean, so is the bathroom. Nice place to stay and good value. We wanted to be back some time.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple