See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Well, this is a divided review. Forst of all, I've lived at San Marco several times during the last 10 years with great memories and although the prices have risen drastically - like with anything else in Rio - the standard of the rooms have not.
There's always a friendly staff and the location is wonderful, but that's it. My last stay during last years megaevent Rio+20 was a great disappointment. First of all the price was - due to greed and hotel politics - 4 times the normal (no I did not pay myself - but I care) - second the standard of the hotel is now outright bad. In need of thorough renovation. And with those prices I don't see why they don't just do it.
Unfortunately Rio has suffered from few available rooms for so many years that the hotel owners have grown too comfortable and just cashes in. it is a shame.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank RioUrbanExploration
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Wow, this area of Ipanema certainly is expensive.
I could complain about paying more than €100 for a room that was not perfectly clean.
But in fairness i chose the cheapest hotel in the area and they could probably still fill the hotel with those rates and even worse services.
All in all not a bad option, of the limited options!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rudy c
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I have never felt I paid so much for so little ! I paid almost US $130 for a "cell" in which the toilet is inside the shower ! Yes, THE TOILET IS INSIDE THE SHOWER ! I could never imagine that I would find such thing in Rio. This hotel classifies itself as "two stars" but I truly believe the Rio's tourism authority should not allow any star to this hotel. The room is ridiculously small and there is no closet ! I could barely open my luggage. Positive things are the password-coded safe and the location. In summary, this hotel is the result of the poor touristic infrastructure of Rio: no competition, high prices ! The other hotel right on the front, the Ipanema Mar Hotel, is way better but costs 3 times more. I am trying to imagine the DISASTROUS that will be lodging during the world cup and the Olympics.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank F_C_BR_IT
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This hotel is my Rio base, and I've been staying there for the past 4 years. Alway welcomed at the reception desk with polite smiles and prompt service. I stay in room 801, which is accessible by the stairs after taking the elevator to the 7th floor... Which could be an inconvenience if you have lots of luggage, but the staff are on hand to help out. When pn holidays, i want my hotel room to provide me with what I need: an excellent bed, a perfect shower and A/C. There's also a tv and fridge, but whose going to watch tv when Ipanema and Leblon beaches are only a stone's throw away? The morning breakfast bar is perfect to start the day with a coffee, fresh juice and a variety of rolls, buns, cakes, breads as well as eggs and meats... The hotel is near everything - and it always gives me great pleasure to go to H. Stern, the bespoke jeweller just down the road, and buy a new trinket, knowing I'm staying in a value rate hotel! this place isn't a 5 star property, but it's in a 5 star neighbourhood and you get excellent service and lodgings for a great price. I'm already planning my next trip back...

Room Tip: Always ask for a superior room, and if on the street side, ask for a higher level room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Stayed here as part of a solo trip through Brazil,

First the good.

The people. They were extremely helpful and many were proficient in English. They were extremely helpful.
The breakfast was good and there was a selection of eggs, meat and breads and juices.
Location - Can't say enough about the location. Right in the shopping district of Ipanema. Two blocks from Ipanema beach. Three blocks from Leblon, one of the nicer parts of RIO. You cannot beat the location

Now, the rest. Basically, RIO is known for either extremely high end hotels and bargain basement hotels at over hyped pricing. This hotel falls in the latter. This hotel is probably the equivalent of a days in Motel. Basic bathroom, basic rooms and beds. If you get the economy room, the toilet is in the shower, which may be unsettling if you expect a full bathroom. All in all, I liked the hotel just because it was clean and everything worked. I would consider shopping around before staying here again , though I am not sure you can get a better hotel in Ipanema for this price. I have a love hate relationship with the hotel. I loved the location and how I was treated, I didn't love what I paid for the quality of hotel I got. I guess you are paying for location.

There was no pool or fitness area in the hotel, but you are two blocks from the beach and two blocks from the Lagoa where there is walking and biking paths.

Would I stay here again..maybe...but i would check again to see if there were better deals.

Cab fare from hotel to GIG airport was 50 Reals

Room Tip: Cab fare from hotel to GIG airport was 50 Reals
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo