“omakase”

Price range: US$11 - US$26
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Copacabana
Description: Discover the One Michelin Star most sophisticated pan-Asian cuisine in Rio. The vision of celebrity chef Ken Hom restaurant MEE takes you on an exotic gastronomic journey. Taste your way through countries including Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Japan. A sake sommelier will guide you through imported varieties. The criatives drinks list is complete with innovatives cocktails that capture the spirit of the restaurant.
Reviewed April 4, 2018

date night. we sat at the bar. the omakase was the best i've had in my life. excellent experience and excellent hotel.

David M, Chef Executivo at Mee, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2018

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback!
We are looking forward to having you back as our guest soon.

Reviewed April 2, 2018

Located by the pool at Belmond Copacabana - best service and Food, Michelin star- what more do you want ???

David M, Chef Executivo at Mee, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2018

Dear Ms. Annika,

We are glad to read that you enjoyed our cuisine and our service.
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback!

We are looking forward to having you back as our guest soon.

David M.

Reviewed March 23, 2018 via mobile

Stayed at Belmond Cococabana Palace which is attached to this restaurant and decided to go here for drinks before going out. Very friendly and courteous Bartenders. Drinks were strong and well made. Beautiful venue..not stuffy.

David M, Chef Executivo at Mee, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2018

Dear Mr. Shane A,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on our Restaurant and sharing your experience.
Our Guests' satisfaction is what keeps motivating us to try our best day by day. I will extend your positve and kind words to our Bartenders and all the MEE´s Restaurant Team.

Reviewed March 22, 2018 via mobile

When I visited Mee, I had eaten at Huto, a Japanese restaurant in São Paulo that also held one star from Michelin, two days earlier. The food there was deeply disappointing, so I was looking forward to a better Asian experience at Mee.

Thankfully, Mee’s food was excellent. I had the Michelin tasting menu and the super premium/premium sake tasting, each of which was terrific. The tasting menu was highly varied, but never gave the impression that the chef’s reach exceeded her grasp. The differences in the sakes were more subtle, but noticeable and interesting.

Unfortunately, Mee’s service was constant contradictions. There were lots of seats, including ones at the sushi bar, but I was turned away from sitting at the sushi bar, and therefore the omakase, because the chef did not wish to serve another omakase. My waiter was very slow in bringing each course, but was always in a hurry to take away dishes — he attempted to remove edamame that was only half finished, and tried the same with my sake later in the meal. He offered florid descriptions of each course, but was not always correct — what he described as teriyaki sauce was clearly plum sauce, a mistake confirmed when he correctly described teriyaki sauce as such on a later course. As I waited on a dessert course, I watched him hide behind a column to use his phone until a member of the kitchen staff eventually tracked him down with my dish.

Finally, the pricing is fairly high. It is not so high as to be absurd, although a mandatory gratuity was undeserved in light of the poor service. Where the prices seemed most absurd was on the wine menu. While my sakes were a reasonable value (145 reais for four pours), the overall sake pricing was double what it should have been. The lowest sake by the glass, a junmai, was 65 reais. By contrast, Huto, which is by no means inexpensive, had an ample selection of ginjos between 28 and 50 reais. Whether this was simply a matter of selection or of markup, or both, is irrelevant. It’s a disservice to Mee’s customers.

That, however, was the trend. Poor service of excellent food at a high price. If you’re willing to leave Copacabana and you are not set on Asian food, consider Oro or Lasai instead.

Reviewed March 21, 2018 via mobile

First of all the hostess was rude and pretentious and then along came the waitress who was completely rude and could not accommodate any slight healthy change per my request. The tempura was horrific and such a let down. The lamb over cooked. The salmon - mediocre!!! I am baffled at how this place has a Michelin star. Baffled.