“ABSOLUTE BLISS!”

Casa Beleza
Ranked #3 of 348 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 January 2018

A good friend recommended the hotel & when I saw the photos I just had to book it! I was travelling back to the UK after living in Argentina and wanted to give myself a little treat. And this was IT. Casa Beleza is so so so beautiful! Just like the photos. Bindu and her husband took the best care of me & my friend, they're friendly, helpful but also discrete so you've got plenty of space to chill out and use the pool & take in the nature all around you - tortoises, humming birds - it's just amazing. You have you're own key so just come & go freely. It's a short walk into Santa Teresa to check out the legendary Bar de Gomez (Bindu even gives you a free drink token for the bar & we ended up drinking there with a great guest from the hotel one night) The hotel is so super chill & peaceful but yet you're really near all the bars & live music/arty action. Basically the perfect location. I stayed in the bungalow which is very private (but they mean it about the steep steps up!) great rain shower. I went off to Ilha Gande after a couple of nights & Bindu let me store my heavy cases safely in the main house for no extra charge & even gave me a free late check out on my last day (I also stayed in the super lovely Garden room) so I could chill at the house and arrive fresh for my flight. She booked my taxi & saved the day when she realised I'd left one of my bags behind! Breakfast is big, tasty & healthy! Just the perfect place & great hosts - I can't wait to come back some day.

Room Tip: The bunglalow is super private for couples, the garden room is lovely too - especially if you're...

Reviewed 12 January 2018

Very good guesthouse, clean and in a very nice neighbourhood. Owners are very friendly and helpfull. We loved the place and extended for another night as we didnt want to leave. Breakfast was excellent and the Garden with pool is very beautiful.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Casa-Beleza, Owner at Casa Beleza, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2018

Thank you so much for your review - our 600th review here on Trip Advisor!! We are always proud to know that our guests enjoy their stay in our beautiful corner of Rio de Janeiro!

It was a pleasure to have met you, good luck on your South American adventure!

Beijos

Reviewed 7 January 2018

We recently stayed at Casa Beleza. The house was spectacularly charming only to be outdone by the affable and welcoming hosts. Beautiful property. Great neighborhood with local gems. We LOVED our stay there and would absolutely stay again and recommend it to others who want a true taste of Rio.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Casa-Beleza, Owner at Casa Beleza, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2018

Olá - thanks so much for your kind review, we hope it brings us more nice people like you to share our wonderful corner of Rio de Janeiro!!

Beijos

Reviewed 7 January 2018

Stayed for several night as a couple in the bungalow at the far side of the property. We were extremely happy during our stay: the bungalow offers a great level of privacy, and the tropical foliage in the property is stunning and it is so nice to be surrounding by nature in the city. Lovely breakfast and we spent a lot of time around the pool in the sunshine. Santa Teresa is a great place to stay in Rio, very safe with plenty going on in the local neighbourhood with bars, restaurants etc.. Bindu and Antoine were brilliant hosts and we felt at home and looked after for the duration of our stay.

10/10 would stay there again when we return to Rio!

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Casa-Beleza, Owner at Casa Beleza, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2018

Thanks for your kind review Nick, it was great to see how you guys relaxed and enjoyed the garden and pool before your re-entry to 'real life' back home!!

We await your return!

xo

Reviewed 3 January 2018

We wanted a specific place to stay for our honeymoon. We stayed in the loft room it is a cute room decorated with taste. We really felt at home. Bindu and Antoine and their family are always here to make you feel confortable. The little plus: having a homemade breakfast with fresh juice and fresh fruits in the garden of the villa.
Moreover the neighborhood is peaceful and charming. Bindu and Antoine have some great contacts to make some interesting tours in the city and santa Theresa.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Casa-Beleza, Owner at Casa Beleza, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2018

We loved having this fun honeymooning couple here, they were like Dr Doolittle making friends with all the animal life of the neighbourhood, including toucans, monkeys, possums, and of course our tortoises Daphne and Ivan!

All the best for 2018, and for the future!

Reviewed 15 December 2017

Once you made the decision to stay in Santa Theresa, there is no better place than Casa Beleza.

The Santa Theresa neighbourhood gives you a village feeling even though you are very centrally located in Rio. Built on a hill it has great views but some steps as well. The cute little centre with some restaurants and pubs seems to be popular with professionals and people from the arts scene. I had a great time, esp. listening to the live music at the bars, from which you can walk back to the hotel.

The Hotel itself is a family operated guesthouse. It offers some rooms in the representative main house and two bungalows hidden in the green of the garden. The family lives in the main house too. I stayed in the ground floor room overlooking the terrace in front of the house, on which breakfast is served. That means that you can hear people talk in front of your window in the mornings, but you get the great view as well. I get up in time anyway and never felt disturbed. I loved to sit on my bed and look out of the windows. In the evening you see the illuminated church spire down in the valley on the one side, the pool and the garden on the other. So relaxing after a day of exploring Rio providing so many different impressions. The room is spacious and was fitted with tastefully selected furniture and decorations.

There is a small breakfast buffet in the little entrance hall in the mornings. But all the fresh ingredients like egg dishes, fried doughnuts, huge plates of different fruits and squeezed juices will be brought to you once you take a seat outside on the terrace by the housekeeper. I sneaked out early most days, got myself some tea and pieces of cake from the buffet and went back to my room to watch the monkeys in the trees or the birds in the garden from the windows or read the morning papers online before i went to a proper breakfast later. Haven’t had such enjoyable breakfasts in ages.

The Owners chat with the guests at breakfast time individually, ask if any support is needed to organize the guest’s plans for the day or point out what might be a good choice for the very day if recommendations are needed. Communication via WhatsApp messages and email works smoothly too.

The next tube station is Gloria, 15 min walk away. The owners recommend to hop in a taxi, as the walk back to the hotel up the hill can be exhausting. I walked most times, because it gives you an opportunity to see more of the charming neighbourhood. Discovered some nice views or places every time. If one decides to go by taxi, e.g. on the way back from the supermarket next to the tube station, it will cost between 10 and 14 Reais.

In summary:

If you like to stay in walking distance to a beach or to huge shopping centers and macrodiscos Casa Beleza might not be the first choice. You will always need a taxi/uber to get there.

If you need amenities like 24hrs reception desk, room service menues and an inhouse gym, its not your place to stay.

But if you look for a safe and comfortable base in an open minded and leafy residential neighbourhood, from which you can explore Rio and its different districts - ranging from the historic buildings and museums in Centro to the beach life, shopping and fine dining in Leblon / Zona Sul - Casa Beleza is a great place.

For me it did not feel like booking a hotel room. More like staying some days at the house of a friend’s friend.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo

Thank you so much for such a detailed review, all your tips will be so helpful to future guests!

It was a pleasure meeting you, and the kids enjoyed seeing the "after' pictures of you in the snow back home!!

We await your return to Rio one day!

Reviewed 15 December 2017

I stayed in the bungalow up top in the garden. It was fantastic waking up surrounded by trees and to view of Rio. Beautiful grounds. The breakfast was great and hosts mix a tasty caipirinha. I was lucky and got to feed a troop of mini monkeys on my second day. Looking forward to visiting Casa Beleza on next trip to Rio. Big surprise is that co-owner Antoine has PhD in bongos! He does an impressive Will Smith "get jiggy with it" imitation to boot.

Room Tip: Rooms up top are surrounded by trees
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business

Thank you so much Marcus, it was a pleasure having you, we also remain impressed at some of your dance moves - I didn't know that Canada had a national dance as such ;-)

Hope to see you here again, you are always welcome here at Casa Beleza!