“The Perfect Get Away”
Review of Sol Marina Palace

Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Nessebar
Reviewed 9 June 2015

We stayed here over the weekend in early June and were pleasantly surprised by the both the location of the hotel as well as the quality of the facilities and staff. The hotel is located strategically between both the old town and sunny beach.

We also had the all inclusive package with buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner. In general the food was of a good quality with a wide selection. The room was very spacious with a very large balcony of a view facing the old town.

The best part of the hotel was the sky bar and the pool. Be sure to check it out if you have time!

Room Tip: Double Room with sea view was perfect
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Warren H
SolMarinaPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Sol Marina Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2015

Dear Warren H,

Thank you for finding the time to post this wonderful review on tripadvisor.
Our top priority has always been the top quality service, that we provide to our guests.
I would also like to thank you for the nice words that you wrote about staff, facilities and the location of the hotel.
We hope that you will visit us again, for another nice and relaxing "get away".

Reviewed 31 May 2015 via mobile

We have just returned from our third stay at this hotel and have already booked our fourth. The hotel could not be in a better location. 5 minutes to the old town or 5 minutes to the new town. We stay bed and breakfast and the place is always spotlessly clean. We always ask for the same room and we love it when we are handed the key, even if this year it's in the form of a wristband.
The staff are very friendly and polite, always available.
The rooftop views are stunning and even on B&B you are free to use the pool bar station for drinks, at no cost.
We don't stay all inclusive because there are so many places to eat and drink at incredibly good value that we would feel tied down.
If you're looking for a lively hotel with kids clubs, bingo and elvis impersonators you need to look elsewhere but if you just want a great base for a relaxing holiday this hotel is perfect.
Of course all reviews are personal and everyone has an opinion. Mine is simple, if your looking to stay in Nessebar you can not do better than the Marina palace.
Can't wait until August and we are back again !

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
13  Thank tonylep

Dear tonylep,

Thank you very much for finding the time to post such a wonderful review for our hotel.
The nice words you wrote about the cleanliness and the staff are very motivational for us.
And I am shure that the information that you left about the location and the jews would be very helpful for other people who also want to visit us.
As always, there will be nice room prepared for you and we are looking forward for your fourth visit to our hotel.

Reviewed 12 November 2014

Location great, a short stroll to the lovely town of Nessabar . We stayed 21st- 28th September, the hotel was not full an advantage in that we never had to wait for a table at dinner. Our room was clean and well equipped and had a balcony and a side view of the sea.There was a good selection of quality food at breakfast, lunch and dinner. The all inclusive option was wasted on us as we don't drink much and went out for full days most of the time. Nessabar has so many lovely cafés, bars and restaurants that all inclusive is not necessary. The pub at the hotel is the one area that is not up to standard, dark and dingy with no atmosphere, morning coffee and afternoon tea were poor on the couple of occasions that we visited. Staff were helpful and spoke good English. I would stay at the Sol Marina Palace again if I returned to Nessabar.

Room Tip: We requested a quiet room with a view and achieved both. Free wifi available in the foyer.
9  Thank Denise B

Dear Denise B,

First I would like to thank you for reviewing Sol Marina Palace on tripadvisor.
I am am very happy to hear that you enjoyed a nice quiet and relaxing stay at our hotel.
And also we acknowledge your opinion on the irish pub. We have made improvements and we will be very happy if you decide to be our guest again.

Reviewed 30 September 2014

Whilst this is a lovely looking hotel, in a fabulous location, the standards at the Sol Marina Palace were very poor. The hotel on the surface looks immaculate, and indeed the rooms were cleaned daily, but the rest of the hotel was just plain dirty. Dining room toilets were not cleaned well and I watched one cubicle for a week, to see if a suspicious stain on the wall would be cleaned or not. Only when a conference was being held was it cleaned appropriately.
The outside terrace is lovely, and we ate out there as much as possible, however a family of kittens, whilst being very amusing, walked all over the tables, which were rarely cleaned. Again spilt coffee stains on the decking werent cleaned off in the entire fortnight.
The food, whilst plentiful was not good. We had fish fingers on offer twice throughout our stay. If you dont like Pork, you would starve. I will eat most things, but as our stay (which was at the end of the season ) got poorer day by day.
Staff, some were very good, but they need a crash course in customer service, and whilst I appreciate many Bulgarians are very serious in their demeanour, some were just plain rude. Youngsters working 14 hrs a day, sleeping in windowless rooms, does not make for happy staff. They were positively miserable by the end of our stay.
The rooftop pool was freezing, the drinks on offer were help yourself coffee, water beer. Often not replenished in a day .
This wasnt a cheap hotel, and certainly wasnt worth the money. However its location and views are the only good thing about it.

2  Thank mfor28
SolMarinaPalace, General Manager at Sol Marina Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2014

Dear mfor28,

I appreciate your feedback, so thank you very much for taking the time to let us know your experience in Sol Marina Palace.
I am sorry that we could not reach your expectations in regards to the standards of cleaning and dining!
On the other hand I am happy that you liked the location and views!

We really hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again at Sol Marina Palace!

Reviewed 29 September 2014

Back again for the 2nd September in sucession, once again very happy with our stay, with very friendly service from the staff, nothing too much trouble for them and we found them most helpful, very clean spacious rooms with A/C, towels were changed daily, also liked the glass elevators. Visit the SKY BAR at top of hotel for beautiful sunset views over nessebar

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view on the top floor, superb views over Nessebar
1  Thank simon e

Dear simon e,

Thank you for choosing Sol Marina Palace for your holiday break for a second time!
It is good to know that again you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the nice words about our staff and services. This makes us really happy!

Wish you all the best and really hope to see you next year for a third time!

Reviewed 28 September 2014

Stayed at the Marina Palace from 15th to the 28th September 2014. First impressions of the hotel are very good. An impressive setting with the glass elevators in the foyer and nice clean surroundings. The hotel receptionists are all helpful and speak good english. The rooms are clean and as it is a 4 star hotel the rooms are cleaned every day and fresh towels are put into the room. All the rooms have air conditioning and free wi-fi is available in the foyer. The food in the hotel is edible but nothing startling and is served cooler than I liked but a microwave is available in the dining room to heat food if required. There are several bars in the hotels where you pay for drinks, the Sky Bar which is on the roof of the hotel and the Cocktail Bar which is on the ground floor. Compared to the UK the drink prices are reasonable.

For all inclusive guests there is the "Irish Bar" where you can get hot, cold, soft and alcoholic drinks. The bad points are that there is no entertainment in the hotel and all the music played is modern and heavy on the bass. The staff in the "Irish Bar" do not interface with the customers and there is absolutely no atmosphere in the bar.

Would I stay in the hotel again, YES without a doubt. The location is ideal and just a short walk from Old Nessebar and if you want to see Sunny Beach you can get a bus from Old Nessebar for a small amount (1.30Lev) and can visit other towns around the area.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RobertSweeney

Dear RobertSweeney,

Thank you very much for your feedback, sharing your impressions of our hotel, service and staff.
I am happy that you found our location ideal as well as our staff friendly and helpful.
It is also great to hear that you will visit us again!

We wish you all the best and look forward to welcoming you again next summer

Kind regards,

Reviewed 27 September 2014

I arrived at the hotel at approximately 1 a.m. and was greeted in a very welcoming manner. I was given information about the all inclusive arrangements and was told that as I'd missed dinner there was something to eat and drink available in the Irish bar. My cases were taken to my room for me and I then went back downstairs for my snack and drink.

My room was large, modern and clean with a good bathroom. The wardrobe space was okay for one person but not really large enough for two. There was an open space with a shelf next to the wardrobe, I would think it would be quite simple to add a door and a hanging rail to double the wardrobe space. There was a view of the sea from the balcony but my room faced the adjacent apartment block. This wasn't really a problem as most of the apartments were unoccupied at that time but I wouldn't particularly want that view if there were lots of people sitting on the balconies opposite. My balcony was rather narrow and the drying rack was small. The charge for a room at the front of the hotel overlooking the sea was 10 Lev per night (about £4). As I was there for two weeks this would have been quite expensive for a room I wasn't spending any length of time in so I stuck with the room I'd been allocated.

The dining room was light and spacious, at lunch and dinner you could collect your drinks from the bar on the way in. In my opinion the food was very tasty and there was a good variety. Fresh oranges and grapefruit were provided at breakfast but unfortunately this was soon gone so if you were a little late there was none left. There was a good selection of eggs, baked beans, cereals, yogurt etc., along with some things that we in Britain don't eat for breakfast but no doubt they do in other countries. At lunch and dinner there was a good selection of dishes including fish, chicken, lamb, vegetables and salads as well as some typical Bulgarian dishes. There was an Italian night and a seafood night and on one night a week we were entertained by some Bulgarian folk dancers.

I was nervous about visiting the rooftop swimming pool as I have a fear of heights but the sun terraces had a wall around them so I was fine. The views across to old Nessebar were terrific. The drinks arrangements were adequate for the location

There were three bars on the hotel premises – the Skyline rooftop bar was lovely, very pleasantly furnished inside and out, a nice ambience and great cocktails and other drinks at very reasonable prices (not included in the all inclusive option). The day bar was on the ground floor at the front of the hotel, this was rented from the hotel and was not included in the all inclusive option. It looked quite pleasant although I never visited it but it was popular with the men who wanted to watch the football. The third bar was the Irish Pub, this was the only was that was part of the all inclusive and I have to say it was rather awful. It has been styled in what the hotel management see as that of an Irish Pub – unfortunately the result is dark and rather depressing and without any Irish people it has no atmosphere. It is only open to all inclusive guests, the cocktails were not made with fresh fruit juices and they did not serve white rum at all. However, the drinks were not the main problem, it was the gloomy surroundings and the lack of any ambience. I had travelled with Travel One and there was a big group of us in the second week – unfortunately we could not all sit together in the bar as there were fixed bench seats. The outside area of the bar was equally depressing. This bar could be hugely improved by ditching the Irish theme along with the furniture, painting it in light colours and putting in white or light coloured furnishings. It would be further improved by making the windows in the middle into doors that open onto the terrace area and adding tubs of bright plants and flowers. It would be really good if there was live music that people could dance to.

The terrace next to the dining room is a very pleasant area and would make an ideal evening bar area for the fine weather, the room where the bar is and the room opposite could be used if the weather is not so good.

This is a lovely hotel in a great location, it is certainly of a much higher calibre than a Travelodge but is marred by the problems with the Irish Pub. The management really needs to give this some attention, particularly as it has been mentioned by several reviewers. A pleasant bar to visit in the evenings with a little music and entertainment would make the hotel perfect.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Lookingforsunandfun

Dear Lookingforsunandfun,

First of all thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us via Tripadvisor.
We are happy you have found our rooms large, modern and clean and our reception staff friendly.
It is good to hear that you had found the food in our restaurant tasty and of a good variety.
On the other hand I am deeply sorry that we did not live up to your expectations regarding the Irish Pub. We will take in consideration the reviews of our guests and will try to improve the atmosphere in the Pub bar!