Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
FA515

Awful - I wouldn’t stay here again or recommend this hotel to anyone!

Review of Hotel Balkan
1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed May 19, 2023
Me and my family travelled to Pleven, Bulgaria for my graduation and as Hotel Balkan is one of 2 main hotels in Pleven that is supposed to be good, it was a no-brainer to book this hotel as it is close to the medical university and to a few restaurants among other things. However, we soon realised that all was not what it seemed.
Firstly, only 1 out of the 4 rooms we booked was equipped with the bare essentials e.g. a kettle; clean cups and plates and teabags/milk/sugar etc and when we requested these basic items for the remaining hotel rooms we were told that they only had 1 spare kettle for one room and they did not give us any cups or teabags etc enough for the 7 of us. Following on from this, we expected that each day our rooms would be clean and everything would be replaced with fresh and clean items e.g. fresh bedsheets and cups/plates and a fill-up of the refreshment table however, each night we came back to the hotel, the cups were dirty, the beds were still a mess and we were told we had to pay for the top-up of the refreshments including the teabags – this is a basic service hotels especially this supposed “4-star hotel” should provide free of charge and so charging for this is absurd!
Additionally, a major problem that occurred whilst staying at the hotel was that in the first night, in my parents room, after having a shower their bathroom flooded! The reception staff and housekeeping staff were informed on the first night yet they did nothing! We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and the flooding issue was not fixed and the bathroom floor was filled with water and was leaking into the rooms beneath them yet they still did nothing and didn’t bother to either fix it or give my parents another room. This is disgusting service!
A dangerous safety issue that occurred was to me on the first morning staying at the hotel. I was preparing to go into the shower and I heard a knock at the door – after having heard this I made my way to open the door however, without giving me a chance to do so, the housekeeping staff (a male and female) used the universal key card to my room and opened the door – I was undressed and my little brother was sleeping in one of the beds in the room!! This is very dangerous because my brother and I could have both been sleeping and strangers entered our room and could have done anything! No respectable hotel and hotel staff does this!
Breakfast was another issue! Not only do they not cater for any other dietary requirements e.g. vegetarian etc, they did not have any of the basic essentials on display. The main options in the breakfast buffet was meat – everything mixed with meat and me and my family are Muslims and so in non-Muslim countries we eat a vegetarian diet. We were only allowed to eat the bread, cereals and the plain variety of eggs however as other guests were also eating these items whenever they finished, we had to ask to get refills on these options and we also had to ask to get basic items displayed e.g. black/English teabags, fruit, yogurt etc. They had these options available but not on display so we had to ask for everything. They only displayed the meat options!

Would not stay here again!
Date of stay: April 2023
        2.1 km from Hotel Balkan
        Hotel Cascade
        1.7 km from Hotel Balkan
        View more hotels in Pleven
        See what travellers are saying:
        Selected filters
        Reviewed August 26, 2022

On my way to Greece and after many hours on the road I decided to stop for the night and stayed at the Balkan Hotel.
        The prices for the two-star dark rooms were just the right value for money.
        Roo.s are clean, with a mini-bar, toilet tries, and a city view.
        The best of this Hotel was encountering the lovely lady at the reception! Valeria M was accommodating welcoming, friendly, and helpful!
        I true hospitality professional that makes us feel welcome with a great smile!

Thank you!

Date of stay: August 2022
        Trip type: Travelled with family
        Reviewed April 18, 2021 via mobile

This is a big building poorly constructed during socialist years.
        The new private owners did renovations in a strange way.
        Lobby - poor service from untrained ladies. Very slow.
        Elevators - slow, on busy hours you wait, after that you get in in a crowded cabin. Stops on every floor with poor management of up and down directions.
        Internet- accessible when available. Often drops and is missing.
        Room does not have enough sockets and they put an additional extension - see the picture.
        Behind my bed there was external cabling. Very strange decision for a hotel.
        Breakfast- better miss it. Poor selection, low quality of food.
        If you need 1 night stay it is OK. You can compromise.

Date of stay: April 2021
        Trip type: Travelled with friends
        1  Thank PetDim
        Reviewed May 17, 2020

I worked in Pleven and company provides accomodation at Balkan hotel. The room was at 9th floor, the rooms was renovated. Had air-condition, and new carpet. Acceptable the room and clean. Free parking provided outside of hotel, free wi-fi was good but not all the time. Im not sure that i prefered this hotel if i had the choice to choose. However, its an honest hotel.

Date of stay: April 2020
        • Trip type: Travelled on business
        2  Thank Cvrochidis
        Reviewed August 10, 2019

Tired after a long long trip From The crowded roads în România and aknowledging that we have to spend one night în Pleven we decided to book a hotel here. Our cryteria were strictly based that we wanted to find a decent place to sleep with Free parking. We chose Hotel Balkan. We booked a room in which we ten minutes found out that had no air condition and had ermetically closed Windows, making it impossible to breathe. So beyond 40 Euros we were extra charged 15 Euros to move to a room with air-conditon. The fiasco continues by entering în The second room. The AC scarcely gave any air ... Sleeping felt like on a boat on waves. The only reason we didn t leave îs because we were do Tired..I could continue.. but i have The impression i am bittering my vacation. just writing for The other People not to book a place here

Date of stay: August 2019
        Trip type: Travelled as a couple
        Reviewed December 23, 2017

We had a X-mass party at the hotel and its restaurant. The staff arranged everything with DJ and good quality of food. Accommodation was good and prices were moderate. We were the only guests in the restaurant to celebrate.

Date of stay: December 2017