Hotel Boliari
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Family Hotel Yatrus(Veliko Tarnovo)
View Hotel
Hotel Beiskata Kashta(Veliko Tarnovo)
View Hotel
Yantra Grand Hotel(Veliko Tarnovo)
Tsarevets Hotel(Veliko Tarnovo)
View Hotel
Meridian Hotel Bolyarski(Veliko Tarnovo)
Hotel Gurko(Veliko Tarnovo)
  • Breakfast included
Sveta Gora(Veliko Tarnovo)
Hotel Panorama(Veliko Tarnovo)
View Hotel
All reviewsfree wifione nightold townjameggreceptioncomfortstreetviewtsarevets
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 May 2011

Rooms

I had single use of a double room for €28 per night, including breakfast which represented first class value for money.

The room was not large but clear and adequately furnished with a large balcony with view of the Art Gallery.

It had an en suite, mini-bar and TV.

Location

The hotel is well located. Less than 50 metres from the Archaeological Museum and the Museum of Bulgarian Freedom – plus others.

It is an easy stroll from the Tsarevets Fortress and the Church of the 40 Martyrs.

There are several restaurants close by and the old city centre area is around 10 to 15 minutes away on relatively flat terrain.

Staff

Unlike previous reviewers, I found all staff friendly but with little English. The breakfast is still exactly as described but this is adequate. An example of the staff’s attitude was that when they were told not to bother with the jam and honey as I am diabetic and cannot eat it they offered to go out and buy me a special breakfast - hot banitsa.

Minor Irritants

The tag to operate the lights is on the same ring as the door key. This means that, unless you separate the two as I did, you cannot both have the lights on in your room and have the key in the lock (important for both security and fire escaping).

There is no shower curtain so that after a shower the bathroom – including the toilet area floods.

The internet did not work in my room at first – meaning a nightly trek to the dining room to get a signal. However, it was sorted before I left.

When items were removed – empty water bottle ex mini-bar and virtually new soap – they were not replaced.

Payment

As a previous reviewer warned, it is not always possible to pay by credit card despite the booking form stating they take Visa and Amex – only one member of staff knowing how to use the machine. So, be warned and ensure that you have the necessary cash. My booking was designated in € and I was able to pay in that currency – though needing to have more or less the exact money.

Other Warnings

Recent legislative changes mean that Bulgaria has returned to the requirements of a communist police state in that people staying with friends in private houses have to be registered and your passport is required for hotel check-in.

There seems to be problems with water in parts of Veliko Tarnovo. We were unable to get a coffee in one restaurant in town before leaving because of this. It might pay to check this out – although I had not problems in the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 August 2009

The service at this hotel is atrocious. The extra bed is actually a single pull-out arm chair and they didn't provide any sheet or blanket on the first day. The air conditioner drips water with a loud noise all night long, flooding the floor. The door to the balcony wouldn't open. The women staff is nice enough, but the guy was extremely rude and belligerent. The booking site says that they accept credit card, but this guy would not accept anything but cash. When I questioned this the guy became belligerent and extremely rude. He said he'd do us a favor and let us pay in dollar and charge an exorbitant fee for it. I guess he doesn't like his low-paying job and has an macho image problem. They gave themselves a 3 star rating, but we've had better courtesy from a backpacker hostel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank samargatha
Reviewed 13 March 2007

We returned to the Hotel Boliari in March 2007 and it did not disappoint.

Breakfast however is continental with a capital C and consists of bread and cheese, some salami, jam and a hard boiled egg along with tea or coffee. We tried it on the first morning and decided it was not for us. There are plenty of options available around town so it is not a problem.

The rooms are clean and well furnished and again we had a balcony overlooking Veliko Turnovo. It was a little chilly in March to fully enjoy the balcony but during the summer it is a real bonus. The only niggle was a leaking shower tray that resulted in the bathroom floor being wet. We pointed this out and I'm sure it will be repaired.

Compared to other hotels in Veliko the Boliari is in a very quiet location and a restful night is ensured. Other places we have stayed in have been very noisy at weekends etc. when the locals tend to party all night long, which is great except when it's outside your hotel room window.

The staff were brilliant and could not do enough to help. Booking in and checking out were straightforward and took literally two minutes. The Boliari continues to be our favourite hotel in Veliko, albeit we have not tried them all, and offers great value for money. It's a 5 minute walk to the centre of town and is very close to the fortress for the sound and light show.

We will be recommending it to our friends.

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank OWard
Reviewed 14 October 2006

Lovely little hotel in a delightful town. Great location and staff very friendly. Rooms are big and have quality furnishings giving us a really pleasant stay. Would defintely stay again!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank ross-kirsty
Reviewed 19 August 2006

Hotel Boliari is a litlle gem close to the center of town. The rooms are fresh,nnewly decorated with confortable beds and modern bathrooms with showers. The personnel speaks English and is very friendly. I had trouble connecting to the internet and one of the girls at the reception came to help.
They also helped with general information about the region, transportation etc.
I arrived by train early in the morning ( 6:30 a.m.), walked from the train station to the Hotel ( used the morning for some spectacular picture shots ) and expected to leave my luggage at the reception until check in time - to my surprise I was given a room right away. Breakfast was minimal continental, but the coffee was fabulous ( cappuccino from the bar )
For any body who is on route to Sofija or the Balck Sea a stop in Veliko Tarnovo would be ideal !
The town is very prity, purched on the hills with a view of the river Jantra in the valey below.
The coble streets are alive with coffeeshops and tourists. The old capital of Bulgaria is a fusion of old and new, revampt buildings a beutiful University Campus, Art galeries and Museums, litlle boutiques, shops and restaurants, an old fortress
but above all a spectacular natural beauty.
There are plenty of hotel to choose from but my hotel ( Hotel Boliari ) had one of the best locations, the building was relatively new and the price was reasonable so that I could spend more on siteseeing and restaurants.
I would definitely recommend Hotel Boliari for all the reasons I mentioned above.
The photo nomad