“bad choice, beware of scam.”
Review of Hotel Explorer

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yangshuo County
Hotel Explorer
Ranked #151 of 451 Yangshuo County B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I was slightly wary of this place when I read the list of possible fines on the wall of my room as soon as I entered it. The whole experience here was unpleasant, from lack of sleep to experiencing a scam that seemed to come right from management in the hotel. There is an attached bar- MC blues that had karaoke music blaring until 1.30 in the night each night except Saturdays when it went until 2.30. As half of the rooms are on this side of the guesthouse it means you sleep only after this music stops. I tried ear plugs but could still here the drums beating loudly. I asked to be moved to a quieter room but this was not facilitated.
When leaving the place after 3 nights I was informed that my deposit (a small deposit is taken when you check in) was being kept as the towels in my room were dirty. When I argued against this the amount being retained gradually reduced until but they still kept a small amount following several calls by the receptionist to management (or so we were told). From this I deduce that the management support this scam. They told us that we had used the towels at nearby mud baths which was completely untrue. The amount of money they kept was reduced after I took one of the towels into the neighbouring wash area and washed it with cold water, further demonstrating that this was just a scam to keep money as their guests leave. All in all this place should be avoided if at all possible.

Room Tip: Chose a different hotel is the honest answer
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 November 2012

The location of this hotel is ideal, right in the main area of town with plenty of shops and restaurants right down the street and just a short walk from the main road. The entry way and main area of the hotel is open and inviting, the staff is freindly and helpful.

Unfortunately I cannot overlook the condition of the rooms, the one I received was small (room enough for the bed and nothing else) and dirty, the bathroom reeked of mold and mildew (which was also visible everywhere). The level of cleanliness makes me have to say that I would recommend seeking other options in Yangshuo (which are plenty).

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Stayed at Explorer Hotel for a few nights whilst travelling throughout China. Thoroughly enjoyed the stay.

Hotel located right in the heart of Yangshuo - an incredibly picturesque town (surrounded by limestone cliffs and streams) with lots of cafes, bars, shopping and markets (and a stack of great cafes/bars/restaurants were located literally within a few steps of the hotel). A number of adventure activities are also available (bamboo rafting, zip-line, abseiling, hiking, etc). The little streets in the centre of town do not allow cars - only foot traffic and the occasional motorbike.

Staff were helpful, friendly and relaxed. Rooms were basic, but decent - comfortable beds and a clean spacious bathroom. My only (minor) complaint would be that our room window opened onto the (open) foyer - so no fresh air as such. Good air conditioning provided in rooms. Free wifi available in the foyer and out the front of hotel... we were also able to access the wifi from our room - however note that friends staying in another room (on another floor) could not. Once in our rooms of an evening, noise from the street (music) was virtually non-existent (and it all seemed to stop at about midnight anyway).

Bikes are available for hire (a bike ride along the limestone cliffs and river are highly recommended). Handy maps and local information were also provided in the foyer.

Yangshuo was the absolute highlight of my trip to China. And Explorer Hotel was the perfect base! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Yangshuo is a tourist focused town which I knew little about before arriving, thinking it was a nice farming area, only to discover what is basically an inland version of Halong Bay in Vietnam. Awe inspiring and stretching beyond the horizon, this is a place that I recommend everyone should see. The same goes for the town of Yangshuo and the Hotel Explorer.
Located right in the heart of what turned out to be a lively, energetic and vibrant town resebling a backpacker's mecca, the Hotel Explorer is surrounded by bars, shops full of local handicrafts and a multitude of restaurants.
The hotel has the feel of a backpackers but rooms are tourist class, clean and quite spacious. They offer a variety of tours at reception and I highly recommend hiring a bike to explore the region, the highlight of China for me.
Not to be left out is the wifi and aircon, something which you appreciate in summer. Remarkably quiet considering it's surrounded by bars, which don't operate past midnight anyway. 30 second walk to main street does have its advantages too...

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 June 2011

We stayed here while touring China in May. Of the 7 hotels we stayed in around China this was one of the best. The room was clean and spacious enough, and the hotel staff friendly and helpful. The real winner here though is the free wi-fi. the excellent location near West Street, the good laundry service, and most importantly, the cafe/bar that is attached, serving a really good western style breakfast! The only thing to be wary of is, if you are visiting the nearby Buddha Water Cave, dont take the room towel! They are very strict on towels being clean when the room is handed back!

Room Tip: Negotiate on price, especially in the low season
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2011

This hotel is located very close to west st. The light and sound proofing for outside is the best I have ever seen - although the noise from inside is not so well organized. There is free wifi and shared Internet pc. The room is small but very clean. My main complaint is the shower not having any kind of screen which means that the whole bathroom/toilet gets wet when someone showers. Apart from that, the hotel is actually pretty good and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 1 July 2009

After Li River one way tour from Guilin to Yangshuo (450 RMB per person with lunch), we walked up the port and saw Explorer Hotel about 200 meters away. We negotiated the price down to 120 RMB per night room only.

West Street is 7 meters on the right of the hotel. The 2 layer door to balcony helped block noises at night. The dancing music from West Street was heard if we opened the glassed windows. Houses at the back were being renovated so the balcony floor had dust. The air conditioner helped keep the room warm. It was quite cool in mid Feb so if you are from South East Asia, you may need a light jacket to go out at night. The hotel had sports bicycles for rent at 30 RMB per day. No minibar/ refrigerator in room. They provided tea, toiletries and towels. Warm water was not enough to fill the bathtub. We waited 3 times for water tank to boil. No elevator. Staff speak good English. I saw a guesthouse a few meters on the left of hotel with very low price.

When we checked out, we walked slowly about 15 minutes to the Bus Station and took a day bus to Guangzhou Train Station at 182 RMB per person.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple