“Better than expected.”
Review of Hotel Explorer

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yangshuo County
Hotel Explorer
Ranked #151 of 451 Yangshuo County B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I stayed here about a year ago, and to my surprise it was not as bad as some of the reviews here. Again clean by China standards and very close to all of the places that you want to be. Beds were comfy, the rooms were quite big, only thing was that our air-conditioner did not work properly. We ended up working out how to make it go 24/7 so was fine by the time we got back to the room in the afternoon. I probably wouldn't eat at the cafe out the front, but if you simply cross the road from the front entry there was a place with great food. Of course there are nicer places to stay in Yangshuo, but for what we paid I would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: I heard that there were some rooms that did not have a window, so I would check this out if I were y...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

I would book this hotel again for the location alone. The rooms are nice too, bathroom big, clean and comfy beds, everything you need. But the location is perfect. Right inside the market area (no cars!) Just lots of shopping and bars and restaurants. It was a little noisy at night, but that will happen anywhere in this area. So nice to be able to walk out your door and easily find a nice pub or mango juice stand or souviner shop. And Yangshuo is just lovely!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights at Hotel Explorer. We were initially given room 101. Avoid at all costs, it's the closest to the neighbouring bar. We had to suffer one night in this room, felt like the band was in the room it was so loud. Literally word for word. We were moved to the room above 203 which was a slight improvement still noisy but ear plug manageable. We had no problem with the towel scam, I quickly got the deposit back after some grumbles about a receipt, despite it being a key deposit and I was returning g the key. Room itself was decent. Clean, good air conditioning, beds a tad hard but ok. Towels were grubby and full of holes but the bathroom was fairly clean by Chinese standards. We hired bikes from them too with no issue, 40yuan for the day. No deposit either as we had rooms. No helmet and the chain skipped on one of them but pretty decent for a day trip in the countryside.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I was travelling in Guilin/Yangshuo with a friend, spending there 1 night.
The hotel is very central, at the end of West street, near the river. Because of that it's very noisy during the night (earplugs are a must if you want to avoid the music in the street) but it's useful if you're looking for pubs/beer/shops/restaurants
They're not very friendly and aren't able to help you for any trip --> 50 m far from the hotel there are a lot of travel agencies, ask them!
They can rent bicycles (20 rmb/day), keep your luggage for free during the day if you're leaving on night.
The price is higher than the hostels (200 rmb/night for a double room), but it's pretty clean. Pay attention not to destroy/misuse anything, because they have a very long list of how much they'll charge you in case
No elevator

Room Tip: They don't offer earplugs and in the street where the hotel is located there are at least 8 pubs...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

This hotel is reasonable in many respects, rooms a good size, air con, central location (so central you will hear night club music till 3am, but that's the payoff). An average lobby with good wifi but iffy in rooms.

The big problem is their determination to get more money out of you! In the room there is a very detailed list of every item, I mean right down to the Do not disturb sign hanging from the door handle, any damage results in stiff fines. No problem, we don't damage hotel rooms. The warning that if your towel is dirty there is a 50 yen fine ensured we were extra careful, there are mud baths locally so I suppose they could have issues because of this. We did not visit the mud baths, did not dirty our towels ( which were shabby off white in the first place, no fluffy white Egypiton cotton here!)

Yes, they tried to slap the dirty towel charge on us, no we did not pay it. If they would stop this scam it would be a perfectly reasonable hotel.

You have been warned!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank BrokenChopstick
Reviewed 12 June 2013 via mobile

We are travelling as part of a group, so the party element of the group loved the location of the hotel - right where everything is happening. We didn't like the location so much as the music from competing bars went on until the early hours of the morning. It is a great location however for shopping, restaurants and soaking up the atmosphere.

The rooms were fine and clean, stocks replenished everyday and the air con and kettle were a bonus. The bed however was terrible it felt like I was sleeping on a sheet of wood.

Some of our group were caught out by the towel 'damage' charge which we thought was bad as the towels are old and discoloured anyway.

There is wifi in the lobby, but not all the rooms. Lobby is not that condusive to relaxing.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I was slightly wary of this place when I read the list of possible fines on the wall of my room as soon as I entered it. The whole experience here was unpleasant, from lack of sleep to experiencing a scam that seemed to come right from management in the hotel. There is an attached bar- MC blues that had karaoke music blaring until 1.30 in the night each night except Saturdays when it went until 2.30. As half of the rooms are on this side of the guesthouse it means you sleep only after this music stops. I tried ear plugs but could still here the drums beating loudly. I asked to be moved to a quieter room but this was not facilitated.
When leaving the place after 3 nights I was informed that my deposit (a small deposit is taken when you check in) was being kept as the towels in my room were dirty. When I argued against this the amount being retained gradually reduced until but they still kept a small amount following several calls by the receptionist to management (or so we were told). From this I deduce that the management support this scam. They told us that we had used the towels at nearby mud baths which was completely untrue. The amount of money they kept was reduced after I took one of the towels into the neighbouring wash area and washed it with cold water, further demonstrating that this was just a scam to keep money as their guests leave. All in all this place should be avoided if at all possible.

Room Tip: Chose a different hotel is the honest answer
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple