“Great private rooms much like a hotel”
Review of Showbiz Inn

Showbiz Inn
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Sooo, I dont do hostels. Well until now. Didn't know places like Showbiz existed. A friend recommended this place. When he stayed it was brand new and had just opened. When we got there in May 2011, it seemed that everything was still very much in great condition. My friends and I stayed in a 3 bedroom suite with a private bath. Decent and fairly comfy bed, good water pressure in bathroom, clean, NO BUGS (at least from what I saw). The rooftop bar was cozy and pretty lively at night. And there were two computers in the lobby. You can log on to FB and all that good stuff. Staff was friendly and a bit overworked. Seems like the same girl who checked us in was also making drinks at the bar...lol. Only problem was finding the hostel when we arrived by bus from Guangzhou at 3:30am. The town was pitch black and there were only motorcycle taxis hawking us to catch a ride with them. Make sure you get the address written in Chinese before you arrive. Duuhhh right? Shame on us. Other than that, its a great place, just hidden a bit off the main road clustered amongst other hostels and located through an alleyway from the main street...West street. You can appreciate its peaceful location during the night when West street in pumping music from the club.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Showbiz Inn

Reviewed 1 September 2011

Showbiz came recommended and now I will do the same for others. It is in a prime location, clean, friendly staff, provides free laundry facility and a perfect place for fellow travelers to meet others to join in activities.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Don't buy plane ticket at front desk !

I buy a plane ticket from Michael at the front desk a he made a mistake. I tell him I want a plane from Beijing to Shanghaï (Pudong) and he sell me a plane ticket to Shanghaï (Hongqiao).
The Wrong airport !!!
Michael tell me " Oh I will give you a refund, BLA BLA BLA" I never see my money back and I lose 160$ US.
Very BAD SERVICES

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 July 2011

The good:
- The rooftop bar on 6th floor had really excellent views of the Li River and the surrounding streets
- I stayed in the dorm rooms, and it was clean and had enough hooks for clothes and towels
- Free laundry and the hot weather made for an excellent place to have a rest and clean up!
- Excellent location just behind West Street, so it's in the middle of the hustle and bustle but not too noisy.

The not-so-good:
- A message from a friend went missing and only got to me 2 hours late due to a staff's careless error (he assumed that since my friends were white, their message had to be for someone Caucasian, not Chinese). Ruined my whole day since they had to leave without me to follow the original plan to go hiking. Very bad service.
- There were only three toilets for two dorm rooms - one toilet, one shower and one toilet/shower.
- Showers suffered from lack of water pressure, possibly due to the fact they were on the 5th floor!
- Showers did not have a good system of keeping your clothes/towels from getting wet from shower spray.

Room Tip: Call and ask and book early! Y30 dorm rooms go fast for this good location.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2011

The Showbiz Inn was in a great location, very close to West Street & the riverside with lots of shops, cafes & restaurants nearby. The staff were friendly & helpful, giving us lots of information about buses. The hostel tours were great too, especially the bamboo rafting along the river as they organised a great tour guide for us. Would happily stay at Showbiz Inn again.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2011

We stayed in 6bed-room for 2 days. It is a small room, yet the beds are quite nice. The location is perfect as it's just few minutes walk from West Street. However, the shower is a small drawback as sometimes at night, we couldn't get hot water for showering. The weather at night was pretty cold. The wifi was quite weak at level 4.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank MayTran
Reviewed 23 May 2011

We found the staff here very helpful and friendly. We enjoyed having the use of free wifi internet and there was a selection of movies and books people could borrow. They had a nice rooftop area which I am sure is a nice place to hang out during the summer months. The rooms were spacious and a great deal for the price. I would just caution those who expect to find toiletries in the room, they do have some but for sale only. We didn't mind this because we had our own but thought I would mention it just in case. The hot water was temperamental which really was a downside since it was in the middle of winter. The cleaning ladies are nice, but they would barge in at random times. I had caught a cold and was resting in my room when one came in even though I insisted that it was ok, we didn't need it, I just wanted to rest she insisted she just do a quick mop around. Not fun to deal with when all you want to do is blow your nose and get some rest. For those interested, there is also no tv...which would have come in handy for the off season. Also, my boyfriend rented a bike from them and he would not recommend it. The one he got was not in good working order. He would recommend going to a rental place where you can look at the bikes first.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple