Mountain Villa Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
Trip.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed September 22, 2011

As previously mentioned, this hotel is located very close to the Summer Resort, however much was desired for everything else.

I believe this hotel might have been a very grand one a long time ago. But the hotel is showing it's age. Internet (not free) was through special "modems" that had to be brought up to your room for use. It doesn't always work and requires someone who can read chinese. The showers were only capable of cold or lukewarm water and not all the light switches worked (or were labeled). There was a slight chemical smell when I entered my room, but that was quickly dealt with by opening the windows for a few minute. Standard chinese hotel bed (hard surface if you don't know what to expect)... My doorway was showing it's age with the frame being exposed and the door lock (asian version of the chain) hanging losely on the door.

The staff was very helpful with the person bringing the modem to my room and hooking it up (too bad it didn't work, but it was nice) and will make sure you have left the room before cleaning.

I think if they refurbish and modernize the hotel, it could do well.

Room Tip: Note that the internet is not free. 10RMB for 1 hour or 50RMB for a day.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Just returned from this hotel with Archers tours. The location was good, with plenty of small shops around. The rooms though smelled of smoke and a strange chemical smell. The beds were very hard, but the room and the bathroom were clean. The breakfast was very poor I thought. There was bacon and eggs, but also chips, carrots, and celery. The one cereal was oats, and only supermarket sliced bread for making toast. They really hadn't got the hang of it. The room had tea making facilities, but only Chinese teabags, so take your own. They had a small bar, which was cosy and a nice, friendly manager. We ate in the evening in a much better hotel, and wished Archers had booked us there.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank Patricia W
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Apart from a German tour group (of 6 people) I think we were the only non-Chinese staying in the hotel.

There were 2 rooms for breakfast, a big Chinese one for noodles and vegetables, and a Western one with just toast and eggs and a yoghurt. Forget fresh orange juice!

Our room (a suite) was actually large and ok, but it overlooked a 24 hour building site, so there was round the clock drilling, the smell of cigarette smoke coming in from the other rooms, and the sound of loud Chinese TV all evening from the little old lady in the next door room. So sleeping was not so easy.

Otherwise the location (opposite the Park and surrounded by nice local restaurants) was great. The chairlift (ski-type) to Sledgehammer Rock, and the beautiful temples are well worth the trip to Chengde. The Park is nice, but was very autumnal by the time we got there in mid-October.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank worldtraveller99
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I spent 2 nights at the Mountain Villa, which is in a superb location just steps from the Mountain Resort. The hotel, which was probably quite grand at one time, now shows clear signs of wear and tear. My room was clean, but the bed was the most uncomfortable one on which I've ever tried to sleep - the metal springs were painfully unpadded and in some areas, they poked into me. The hotel was quite busy when I was there, and the desk staff often seemed overwhelmed and exhausted. My needs were met, but not necessarily in a very timely or friendly way.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Was kind of surprise by the bad reviews by others who stayed there recently. We were quiet lucky as we didn't encounter any problem with the rooms nor the staff. We booked via Ctrip.com for 2 twin-bedded rooms for CNY200 per room per night.

The rooms were quiet basic, no frill type. Bathroom was a little bit old but acceptable. No carpet in the room, only wooden floor. Beds were hard but after staying in so many hotels in Shanghai and Beijing, with all providing the same kind of bed, there's nothing to complain anymore. Housekeeping was prompt when we complained about the table light not working. We offered tips to the housekeeping staff but she refused politely. A first in China saying no to money. In fact this was the first hotel that greeted us in English rather than Mandarin, though not fluently.

Didn't eat our breakfast at the hotel due to early check-out. I guessed after reading all the others' reviews, we didn't miss a lot. We had come to realize that most of the non-international hotels in Shanghai and Beijing served lousy and tasteless breakfast. We do not have a single compliment for all the breakfast we had at the hotels we stayed.

Location is superb. Directly opposite Imperial Summer Resort and lots of restaurants nearby. I would recommend 'Big Green Frog' Restaurant (direct translation from Mandarin), about 5 mins walk from the hotel. Turn right after coming out from the Hotel entrance. Delicious Peking Duck set for around CNY120, serving for 3-4 pax. In general, all the dishes we had were tasty.

We had the misfortune of taking the wrong train heading back to Beijing from Chengde. Took us 7 hours (normally 4 hours) and ended up in Beijing East Railway station. Never ever go to Beijing East Railway station because it's their cargo station, not convenient for tourists. All these happens because we were told that the 'numbered tickets' have sold out and they can only sell us the tickets with no seat numbers. Which meant we had to stand if we can't find a seat. Have seen people slept on the floor during our trip from Shanghai to Beijing hence we didn't dare to take that risk. However our slower train appeared to be empty after a few stops. Not sure the faster train would be the same.

I do understand other travelers predicament in China. Most of the Chinese do not understand English and have no single clue about customer service. They are rude and it's impossible to get more than 2 words out of their mouth when asking for information, not unless they are trying to sell you something. And one thing for sure, they do not service with a smile, not until you have purchased something from them. Even the 'smile' is not free.

Do note that the hotels star rating in China is locally graded, hence their 3 star maybe only 2 star according to International grading.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family