1,079 results
All reviews convention center atrium cafe freddy rivas spg member the club lounge attending an event southern hospitality bjcc jefferson uptown freeway alabama ms
Reviewed October 27, 2018 via mobile

Recently stayed in the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel in preparation for a conference to be held here next year. The location is ideally located right across from the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Center and connects easily to the Uptown district. The rooms are spacious though a bit outdated and there are plenty of amenities available in the hotel lobby. Thank you for taking care of our group throughout our stay. We will look forward to returning to your property next year.

Trip type: Travelled on business
TeamMarriott, Manager at Sheraton Birmingham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2018

Dear gdotson1001,

Thank you so much for the thoughtful review. We work hard to deliver excellent service, so we appreciate you highlighting all the positive aspects of your stay. We're especially glad that you loved our convenient location. Thanks for being our guest at the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel, and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 26, 2018

I'll start with the good. The night shift security guy was friendly, very helpful, and used a bit of common sense.The hotel was quiet and conveniently located to the BJCC (couldn't have been closer). The bed was pretty comfortable and the room included a mini fridge.

The room was fairly clean, but the lamp shade and bed skirt needed to be changed (some staining that was not appealing).

Desk staff was not helpful and tried to brush you off anytime you needed to speak to them. We reserved on spg/marriot website 09/03 and received email confirmation. I called around 9/24 to confirm since my credit card had not been charged and even received an email confirmation days before. Check in time, no reservation found...apparently during a system merge my reservation became a ghost reservation (shows in one system, but not the hotels) . My problem is that during conversation they admitted this had been an issue. If you are aware, then review and correct the situation instead of stressing additional guests!! It took 30-40 minutes to check in because of the issue. I expressed concern about being charged twice because of the pre-paid reservation and was brushed off. So I spent another hour on the phone once I got to my room. I was told I shouldn't be charged twice since it didn't show up in the hotels system (just the reservation system). If I did get charged, then I would need to call the accounting dept. So more time I would have to waste for their issue!

We get to the room and have to fight with the cards and door to get in. People a few doors down were also having a hard time getting in their room. We left and neither card would work when we came back. We called the front desk from the phone on the floor and were told it was our fault that our cell phones deactivated the cards (never of heard of this before). We go to get new cards and security escorted us to our room. Neither of the new cards worked. The security guy had to let us in and then re-key the door (another 30+ mins wasted). While checking out, there was another person having the same issue..pretty sure this is the hotel issue and constant. They were telling him if he cards didn't work then to call back down.

The FINAL straw....Being jolted out of sound sleep at 4 am. The alarm system was advising to please remain calm while they reviewed the issue. It definitely worked (positive) but awake and expecting a follow up that all was okay...NOTHING else said.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
TeamMarriott, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2018

Dear Nikki M,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are happy our friendly security, close proximity to the BJCC, and comfortable bedding were highlights of your visit. However, we are disappointed you experienced several difficulties that made your visit with us less than ideal. We strive to provide a stress-free experience for all of our guests, and hope you will accept our apology for the problems you encountered with your room key. We are currently looking into the issue to ensure this is no longer a problem in the future. We also sincerely apologize for our alarm system disrupting your night's rest, and want you to know this was an isolated incident. We really appreciate you letting us know where we have room for improvement. We are dedicated to making sure our guests leave satisfied, and hope you will give us another chance to show you our positive changes firsthand in the near future!

Reviewed October 12, 2018

I stayed here for work due to hurricane Michael. Check in was slow due to a group of people arriving at the same time. Once in my room, I noticed the carpets were dirty and needed cleaning. The walls of the room needed to be cleaned as they were stained with food and drink (I hope that it is that). I would have requested to change rooms but due to the late hour I just went to bed. The beds here are worn. The lobby is very pretty and inviting. There were a large number of travelers with pets. I assume this is a pet friendly hotel. There was a lot of noise from the room above me. My room phone rang several times during the night. It was centrally located. I am sure I will be back there for work.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
TeamMarriott, Manager at Sheraton Birmingham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2018

Dear rshenry,

Thank you for choosing us for your recent accommodation needs. We agree with you that our facilities, while well-maintained, are in need of updating. We are in the process of finalizing the details of our upcoming renovation for 2019. In the meantime, we will continue to do an excellent job in keeping our facilities clean and fresh for all our guests. We hope that next time you stay with us, you will see our progress towards a fresh, new look which we think you will love.

Reviewed October 11, 2018 via mobile

I expect a great stay at a Sheraton, and was not disappointed with the comfort of the bed and bedding.

But one reason I chose to stay there was the pool, as stated on the website. Despite a sign in the elevator saying the pool was on the 3rd floor and the same information in the booklet in the room, I could not find it. In fact, there was no button on the elevator to say 3.

So I asked at the desk and they told me the pool was closed during the renovations. When I looked disappointed, she told me that l could go to the desk at the Westin across the street and they would give me a key card for their pool.

I did this but it added about 30 minutes to my swim. Surely the Sheraton could post something on their website and/or in the hotel.

And if you don’t like dogs, don’t come here. There are many, from small and yappy to large and fierce, walking the halls even on upper floors.

Next time I will just stay at the Westin.

Trip type: Travelled on business
TeamMarriott, Manager at Sheraton Birmingham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2018

Dear MAHfx,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize that you were disappointed with your stay as well as for the condition of our pool at that time. We will make every effort to notify guests in the future when the pool is closed due to maintenance. It was our pleasure hosting you, and we do hope you will reconsider staying with us again.

Reviewed October 11, 2018

My husband and I made a reservation in February 2018 for one night in August while we were in town for a concert next door. We received an e-mail a couple of weeks before our stay that there had been a flood/leak of some sort and that they were gong to put us in another hotel for the night and comp the cost. We were a little annoyed because why us? Our reservation had been made MONTHS in advance. And we were now 9 blocks from the concert venue instead of next door, but whatever. We were like "free night in a hotel! Cool! We'll uber if it rains or something." Fast Forward--I got my credit card bill and they charged my account $244.08 for the night we didn't spend in the hotel. Fast Forward AGAIN---After 4 weeks and DOZENS of phone calls I still do not have a refund...even though I've been told 3 times that the refund would be issued in 5-7 business days. I have stayed at the Sheraton Birmingham MANY times for various reasons and have always had mediocre stays (at best). Now after this incident I can assure you will not be back...and I will NOT recommend this hotel to ANYONE. (Especially since the time before this incident there was LOUD construction that woke us up early in the morning!) There is a beautiful Westin right next door that will have my business for all my convention, conference, dance competitions and concert stays in the future.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Shara,

First and foremost, we want to thank you for being a loyal guest of our hotel. We sincerely apologize that you were unable to stay with us due to issues that were beyond our control and even more so that your account was charged for the stay. Please know your concerns have been noted and will be shared with the appropriate manager. We truly hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your trust.