“OK, if you have a dog”

Ranked #22 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Nashville, Tennessee
“OK, if you have a dog”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

pros: pet friendly (no fee), good location
cons: unclean - cord of hair dryer brown from dirt and dust, very skimpy breakfast, phone not working when we were there, trash in parking lot

This was the highest priced LQ in Birmingham, so I expected more. Do appreciate the pet friendly policy.

Room Tip: use 1st floor for luggage carts
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2012

This hotel is NOT 3 stars. It's 2.5 *AT BEST*. Beware of this when booking, it's listed on a couple of bidding sites as a great looking place (in text). You will be disappointed if you're even expecting the quality of a Holiday Inn.

We'll start with the good things:

-The beds are great! They're very comfortable. The linen quality and comforter leaves something to be desired for a 3* as I wouldn't even call them hospital quality, but the middle blanket was great!

-Fairly quiet! Housekeeping only comes once, and does not repeatedly bother you if you say "no thank you". Unfortunately there are no DND signs offered so unless you want to make one yourself, you will be woken up around 9am. I will note that I saw ONE DND sign in the entire hotel and when I asked the desk was told there were no more. Strange.

-The climate control worked well. I never had a problem being too hot or cold in my room.

-There is a lot of convenient parking. The handicapped spaces are in an odd spot, but aside from that no complaints about the lot.

Now unfortunately we move onto the bad:

-The exercise room is unusable with broken an unsafe equipment. To add insult to injury, the heat is stuck on 85. Pretty much nothing works in there - though even if it did I'd imagine you'd faint from the temperature/humidity.

-A super fun fire hazard in every room! They ZIP TIE a plug extender to the wall (so you don't steal it). They also zip tie plugs into outlets. See the photo for what I mean. Doesn't exactly scream safety conscious to me.

-The lobby = a cafeteria setting as it's "dual purposed" to be a lobby and the breakfast buffet. It just results in an are that always smells like old food. There's nowhere to relax to watch the TVs they've mounted in this area so it seems pretty pointless after 9am.

-The entire hotel smells of smoke, even non-smoking areas. The entire place smell musty, old carpet and mildew. Scented candles fixed this quite easily.

-The gap under the bathroom door could be awkward if you aren't in that phase of your relationship where you are 100% comfortable hearing every. single. thing someone does in there.

-1 bar of "body/face cleansing soap" for the sink, 1 for the shower, and a 0.5oz "conditioning shampoo" as well. Not even remotely enough toiletries for one person, let alone multiple. The quality is also not that great. Think Motel 6.

-Don't count on being able to use the HDMI ports on the TV. The second day we were there, a man came to put a sticker over them. As I like to hook my PC up to the TV to watch movies/play games/watch shows this was an inconvenience since the TV selection is pretty lacking.

-Some of the staff isn't quite "all there". I booked on Hotwire, and eventually decided to check out early and the girl at the desk tried to charge me for an extra day because it was "after noon and therefore a new day". When I explained to her I had pre-paid to the following day she didn't quite understand. She later changed her story to say well they were charging me BECAUSE I was leaving early. The manager overheard that, knew something wasn't right, and immediately fixed the situation. While that part is good, having to beat the topic to death with the girl for 15 minutes first was not.

Location: This is on the edge of a pretty dodgy area of Birmingham. Not necessarily a negative, but something to beware of. Food and shopping are okay in the area, about 6 miles away is the "nice" area for shopping/dining. The Lonestar near the hotel is great and open for lunch though!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I previously posted that we had had a theft from our room, and that La Quinta management was unresponsive. I am pleased to report that we finally did hear from management and they were very professional and the situation was addressed. We did report the theft to local law enforcement, and provided all that information to La Quinta, and they followed up there, as well, and I feel that situation has been taken care of and I'd stay at this hotel again. And, as noted before, the staff at this location was friendly.

For the other aspects, and as noted in my previous review, the grounds are quite nice. Pleasant and well-tended landscaping, and spacious rooms. The hotel is showing some wear in the rooms; dirty fingerprints on cabinetry (white) and microwaves (if you get a suite); wear on the baseboards and some of the furniture, but the beds were nice and the bedding was, too. We had 2 rooms, and I did find a used washcloth still draped on my shower curtain. Not sure how long it was there, but other than that, the rooms seemed clean. Nice TVs; they look upgraded. I did not have a laptop or iPad on this trip, so I can't speak to the wifi.

This is also more a location for people who are car traveling to stay; it's not a good choice if you're flying into the Birmingham airport and want to do things downtown (unless you rent a car at the airport). If you're flying in and not planning to rent a car and you're going to be downtown, this is probably not the place for you. It's about 4 miles south of the downtown exits.

The breakfast was, I thought, a decent mix of foods. Oatmeal, waffles (make your own with pre-made mix); toast, bagels, cream cheese, hard-boiled eggs, fruit, muffins, cold cereal, juices, and coffee/tea.

I've stayed at many La Quintas (Las Quintas?) in the past and even though this experience included a theft (and a serious one at that), that's not going to change my opinion of the chain. One bad apple doesn't ruin the barrel for me in this case, and this was a nice location, with pleasant surroundings and good proximity to a variety of restaurants and shopping. There is an outdoor pool with a spa (I didn't use them, but they looked nice), so if you're traveling with kids, that's a plus. And there is lots of grass around this location, which is a plus if you're traveling with active kids and/or dogs. La Quinta is dog-friendly, which is another reason I like to stay at them.

I-65 does run nearby, so you'll hear it outside. However, I didn't hear it in my room (and I was not facing the pool; I was facing the parking lot) unless I opened the window (that was a plus, too--windows that opened). To make sure you don't get freeway noise, try to get a room facing the pool.

Overall, good place to stop if you have a car and want to spend a few days in Birmingham, or if you're just passing through.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelerEv
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Have not stayed in a La Quinta for years, but was traveling with my dog this time. (As far as I know, all La Quinta's are pet friendly.)

What I didn't expect was the nice large room, huge bathroom, and fantastic beds with perfect pillows and sheets. I'm not sure what else I would have wanted in a one-night, pass through hotel, and it was nice enough that I could have spent more time there.

I was in late and out early so not much else to review. BUT, I would definitely stay there again, even if the dog stays home!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We were in Alabama for a service trip and I found the La Quinta Inn perfectly fine. The rooms were clean and big enough to share. There were a few minimal problems: The shower in our room made a weird noise and the shower curtain never closed all the way, but that's not the end of the world. The other problem was we could not figure out how to turn the heat on, but I bet if we asked someone they would have helped us. The temperature was comfortable enough that it wasn't a problem.

Also, the breakfast in the morning is great: waffles, cereal, juice, yogurt, etc. There was enough food for everyone and I never had to wait for anything.

It's also close to lots of chain restaurants, a Starbucks, an Old Navy, and an enormous Wal Mart/Sam's Club structure that defied size expectations.

It's only about a 20 minute drive to downtown Birmingham on the highway.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 24 December 2011

My family and I have been staying in La Quintas on our road trip as we have a dog with us and this chain accepts dogs while being reasonably priced and of decent quality. This particular La Quinta had beautiful landscaping and is in a lively area off the I-65. But its rooms, while large and comfortable, are showing signs of age and perhaps neglect in housekeeping. The rooms and bathrooms are nominally clean but you can't help feeling that they could do a better job, such as cleaning the tub and the floors better, so that they looked less stained. We were placed in a room near one of the side exit doors and while that was convenient, the doors slammed loudly every time anyone went in and out through them. The hotel really should look into adding door silencers to prevent the doors from slamming and disturbing the peace of customers rooming near the side doors.

On the plus side, there's free breakfast and internet, and the hotel is easily accessible off the interstate. The staff were really friendly and keen on making us feel comfortable. The price was also affordable at $65 with our AAA membership.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank absolute_alex
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I stayed here for just one night but found it to be clean, well presented and comfortable. The breakfast is also good and their is tea and coffee in the rooms. Only downside is that unless you are In a car you are kind of stranded - there are places to eat nearby but no pavements anywhere so quite dangerous. This aside I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2011