Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Huanglong Scenic Valley
from US$560.00
More Info
All reviews dry season cable car highest point recommended trip four hours golden dragon beautiful scenery crystal clear water snow capped mountains oxygen altitude route driver park taxi beauty travertine
Reviewed April 9, 2017 via mobile

I think this park has lots of potential when there's water everywhere. But in April, there's only water at the top and the rest of the park on the way down is kind of uninteresting and depressing, probably not worth the steep entrance and transportation fees. Best to research when is the right time to go.

Also, some paths are closed because apparently it's "winter", which seems typical of the parks in the area.

Date of experience: April 2017
Reviewed March 4, 2017 via mobile

Panicked at first when ticket office was shut but as I walked up to the gates a couple appeared and charged me 60rmb for a ticket. The sun was shining and other than meeting 2 men in the first 10 mins I had the valley to myself as I climbed up. Took about 1hr30 each way taking plenty of pics. Obviously the majority of the lakes were frozen but would still recommend visiting in winter if you are in the area/staying in Jiuzhaigou. The views were incredible and the peace and quiet was a really great contrast to the crowds at Jiuzhaigou (in low season!).

Had read in various places that the park is closed in winter - this clearly isn't the case. The cable car isn't running but you can still walk up and down, which I'd seen here and was told in my hotel is the best option anyway.

Date of experience: March 2017
1  Thank AgY84
Reviewed January 22, 2017

This is one of the best park in Sichuan. Some prefers this park more than Jiuzhaigou. It is big and the main attraction is on a slope. Most tours let you off at the base and the nearest scenic is close to the car park. The best way to enjoy this park is to take the cable car or rope way to the top where the temple is and slowly make your way downhill. It is a long hike but it is worth the effort. There are many scenic spots along the way. The path is well maintained so it is fairly easy to walk.

Date of experience: September 2016
Reviewed January 14, 2017

Huanglong was absolutely beautiful, and well worth the visit. My friends and I stayed at the Zuigaoyuan Inn (highly recommended - it didn't come up on TripAdvisor for me to write a review, but the concierge were extremely helpful and friendly), who arranged for a car to take us to Huanglong.

We had an early lunch at the tourist building next to the park entrance, and then went to buy our entrance tickets. We then took the cable car up the valley, and walked down (I'd recommend doing it this way, given that hiking up such a high altitude would be difficult).

The valley itself was absolutely stunning. The colourful rock pools were unlike anything we had ever seen before and the walk down was breathtaking. Be warned, however, that the cable car essentially takes you up an high altitude very quickly, so you need to properly acclimatise yourself to the thin air. The route down has many oxygen bars along the way for those suffering from shortness of breath.

In terms of things to watch out for, it was a little bit of a struggle to figure out which tickets to buy, as the ticket machines were faulty and instructions were in Chinese, but with the help of some English tourists that were milling around the area, we managed. Furthermore, when we finished the hike, there were no taxis around to take us to our hotel near Jiuzhaigou - this was extremely problematic, as we counted on there being many taxis at the entrance, based on reviews we read on the internet. The reception at tourism building next to the park also did not understand English and laughingly told us that there were no taxis around. We had just about resigned ourselves to sleeping on the pavement in the rain, but we fortunately were offered a lift by the tour guide of a group tour bus, who very kindly dropped us at a hotel. Luck was on our side, but if you're thinking of visiting, please make sure you have pre-arranged transport.

Overall, I would highly recommend visiting Huanglong. The walk may be a little strenuous if you're not used to physical activity, and you may have to take care if you have breathing difficulties like asthma. If you've got that covered, definitely go.

Date of experience: July 2016
2  Thank Ayushka N
Reviewed January 7, 2017

40 miles northeast od Songpan, less than 10,000 fts above sea level, during snow season will be shot down. If you have limited time you can visit JiuZhai Gou instead here!

Date of experience: October 2016