“Friendly boss with simple good fare of Chinese food”
Review of Emma

Emma
Ranked #3 of 128 Restaurants in Dali
Price range: US$4 - US$8
Description: This is a restaurant of Chinese home-style cuisine based on the local flavor and Yunnan ingredients with less oil and less additive. We are in the center of Dali ancient town against Yu'er park back door . We serve dishes for non-vegetarian and vegetarian. Also we try to combine different ways of cooking for finding new fusion flavor . Welcome to Emma! Please enjoy your meal with your family and beloved ones !
Reviewed July 11, 2017 via mobile

I had come in the evening as I wanted to check out the Chinese meals that other reviews had mentioned. While looking at the menu, the boss came over to give her recommendations. And I shared my concerns that I am a solo traveler and it's hard to have a Chinese meal with a few dishes as I simply can't finish them all! And I like variety in my food instead of having only one dish with rice.

So she offered to downsize one of the dishes (including charging me less for that dish) so that I can order another bowl of soup. I like this flexibility!!

And stepping into the cafe I realized that most of the customers are frequent friends and family. That's nice as it says a lot about the business model and attitude.

And the owner also asked me to drop by the next morning so we can chat more and have a coffee!

The Chinese food quality is good and simple home-cooked fare. Good for those traveling for long and missing some home-cooked goodness!
Indeed very cosy and friendly. Like!!

vega s, Owner at Emma, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2017

Dear Rachel ,

It was great to meet you in Emma. I was very sorry that it was loud when you came for dinner that night cause some of my relatives visited me . I really enjoyed our small talk the next morning when you came for brunch and coffee . I sincerely understand how difficult for a solo traveller when they wanna order something with more varieties since I had a lot problems when I solo travelled before . I truely wish you had a wonderful trip here. And you are very welcomed to come back anytime.

Cheers !

Reviewed July 8, 2017

I came here after visiting Yu'er Park. It's a really cozy place situated on one of the backroads, so you can just chill out for a while inside or outside and it has wifi. This place has the best homemade french fries I've ever had! Each one was perfectly crispy.

vega s, 企业 at Emma, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2017

Dear Guest,

We're so glad you enjoyed your food in our restaurant . It strives us to improve our service and try to explore more food based on Yunnan ingredients. We wish you had a wonderful trip in Dali .Hope to see you again .Cheers !

Reviewed June 29, 2017 via mobile

This is a really lovely place in Dali, very central located and near the Foreigner's Street, when you can eat or take a drink away from the Dali's usual crowds.

The terrace made me the quietness what I was looking for, specially in the evening, with a Cappuccino and ohhh a fresh orange juice. Visit this place also for a delicious western breakfast and lovely pancakes. And say hello to Emma, it's a funny, clever and very kind person.

vega s, 总经理 at Emma, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2017

Dear N ,

It was a great honor to meet you and your husband in Emma. I really enjoyed our conversation. And I really loved your travelling stories. Although we just met druing a coffee time, but I wish someday our path will cross somewhere else again ! I truly wish you and your husband had a wonderful trip in Asia !

Reviewed June 28, 2017

The owner is usually around and enjoys talking to people, has very good English ability. I gave it an excellent rating, and it deserves it, a great place in Dali. Nice kitchen staff, with a decent seating area, including outdoor seating and they can accommodate larger groups and private cuisines. It's a mix of Chinese dishes (especially at dinner) and western style breakfasts. Located on Yincang Road, near the South Gate next to the only park (Yu'er Park). Friendly, nice variety, with some vegetarian dishes, and decently priced. Not a big place, but not small either with traditional cooking.

vega s, 经理 at Emma, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2017

Dear Jason ,

It was really cool to meet you in Dali . I did enjoy talking with you during your brunch here .And it has widen my eyes on Japanese culture from our conversation. And thank you so much for giving me so much inspiration on the fusion style food which combines western and estern . Wish you enjoy all way journey in South West China.

Reviewed June 27, 2017

Emma is opened by a traveller Xie which serve you a mix of western and chinese food. the owner - the nice girl Xie offered us very american breakfast, coffee was very fresh comparing with others in China.... If you ever visit Dali, you defnitely should try the dinner here,when we came back for dinner, Xie offered something out of your expectation but satisfy your wish! the fresh local vegetables made our day plus a beer. A plus is that you can also enjoy a chat with owner here, which will helps you understand Dali more. Emma is a start point to enjoy night of Dali ;)

vega s, 经理 at Emma, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2017

Dear Alex ,

It made my day when I saw such wonderful comments from you . I am happy you enjoyed the coffee although we just served Americano based on Yunnan coffee beans. And I loved the idea you gave me like the food tour we can try . We wish someday we will meet again ! Best Wishes !