“WE LOVE EMMA! ”
Review of Emma

Emma
Ranked #2 of 128 Restaurants in Dali
Price range: US$4 - US$8
Description: This is a restaurant of Chinese home-style cuisine based on the local flavor and Yunnan ingredients with less oil and less additive. We are in the center of Dali ancient town against Yu'er park back door . We serve dishes for non-vegetarian and vegetarian. Also we try to combine different ways of cooking for finding new fusion flavor . Welcome to Emma! Please enjoy your meal with your family and beloved ones !
Reviewed July 24, 2017 via mobile

Emma prepares superb local food in a super-cute and romantic restaurant.

The owner Xie speaks perfect English and will guide you through the menu, enabling you to taste true local dishes which are prepared by her mum. She is also very friendly and talking to her is always a pleasure.

You will feel like at home with your family!

vega s, Owner at Emma, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2017

Dear Lorenzo,

It was a great honor to meet you two in Emma. Sometimes I can't helping thinking I might not running a restraurant, I'm running a beautiful life story with you guys. Without you guys coming, what would shape Emma's romance ?! All you guys lightening up the meaning of running a restraurant for me, and food brings my friends from thousand miles away that I never met before. I can't wait to see you guys in Italy someday when our path cross again .And please say Ciao to that awesome leather jacket for me !!!

With Best Regards !

Xie

Reviewed July 21, 2017 via mobile

I am travelling in China with my son and we stumbled across this place for lunch as we were wandering round a part of Dali with a more local feel. The owner was super and spoke excellent English - in fact the best English of anyone we have met so far. Many restaurants geared towards Western travellers in China seem to serve only Western type food so we loved the menu which was a great mix of different dishes including more local ones. I had the sliced fish and my son had the pork spring rolls. Both were great - my son enjoyed the spring rolls so much he ordered a second plate!
We both had a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice - this was indeed freshly squeezed not made up from concentrate as we have found in most places.
The price all in was a very reasonable Y90
This place has not been open too long and it deserves to be a success.

1  Thank i4n_d190
vega s, Owner at Emma, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2017

Dear guests,

I can't say anything but "thank you " for sharing such a great review with us . Your comments really inspired me for keeping doing something of Emma style :) We're hoping to bring more and more mixed things to all the guests from all over the world , on the base of Yunnan flavor and ingredients. I do really appreciated you guys found us accidentally as I always call it "serendipity" . It has been a great treasure to meet all lovely people from different places as how my eyes got widened by talking with all of you . I do wish all best on your travelling . Wish someday we will see you guys again !

Best

Reviewed July 16, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I went to Emma for dinner tonight and had the best time.

The restaurant has been decorated in an attractive simple style that provides a nice, quiet place to spend some time.

We chatted to the manager, who speaks English very well and happily recommended some items from the Chinese menu. We weren't disappointed. Everything was delicious. Including the perk coffee at the end.

I highly recommend coming here if you're in Dali. Good local food, excellent surroundings, reasonable prices... the perfect combination.

vega s, Owner at Emma, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2017

Dear Jess,

What an honor to have you guys here ! I'm so glad you guys liked our Chinese food . Sorry that we haven't serve desserts yet although we have been thinking on trying the gluten-free stuff. And I'm so appreciate that you guys found Emma as it is actually hard to find since we are hidden from the main pedestrian street. The valuable comments have been shared within all of us and will help us to continue offer consistent level of service to all guests. Our thanks for taking the time to share and for recommending us so highly. Wish you guys a wonderful trip !

Cheers

Reviewed July 16, 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed a nice quiet meal at Emma's tonight. The restaurant is nice & quite, food was great but the service was excellent. If you want to escape the busy Dali streets for some good food or a relaxing drink, Emma's is your place.

vega s, Owner at Emma, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2017

Dear Tim,

It was a great honor to have you and your wife in Emma. And I sincerely thank you for your kind and lovely comments. Hopefully someday we will see you and your wife again if you guys ever come to Dali again .I really do appreciate you and your wife put efforts on giving us highly recommendation. I do wish all best on your travelling!

Cheers!

Reviewed July 11, 2017 via mobile

I had come in the evening as I wanted to check out the Chinese meals that other reviews had mentioned. While looking at the menu, the boss came over to give her recommendations. And I shared my concerns that I am a solo traveler and it's hard to have a Chinese meal with a few dishes as I simply can't finish them all! And I like variety in my food instead of having only one dish with rice.

So she offered to downsize one of the dishes (including charging me less for that dish) so that I can order another bowl of soup. I like this flexibility!!

And stepping into the cafe I realized that most of the customers are frequent friends and family. That's nice as it says a lot about the business model and attitude.

And the owner also asked me to drop by the next morning so we can chat more and have a coffee!

The Chinese food quality is good and simple home-cooked fare. Good for those traveling for long and missing some home-cooked goodness!
Indeed very cosy and friendly. Like!!

vega s, Owner at Emma, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2017

Dear Rachel ,

It was great to meet you in Emma. I was very sorry that it was loud when you came for dinner that night cause some of my relatives visited me . I really enjoyed our small talk the next morning when you came for brunch and coffee . I sincerely understand how difficult for a solo traveller when they wanna order something with more varieties since I had a lot problems when I solo travelled before . I truely wish you had a wonderful trip here. And you are very welcomed to come back anytime.

Cheers !

Shaye

Been to Emma? Share your experiences!