Free cancellation until 26/07
US$85
US$78
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Lvye An Jia(Lijiang)(Great Value!)
US$30
Free cancellation until 29/07
US$197
US$176
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstiger leaping gorgebeautiful gardenold townprivate balconytaxienglishguesthouseoutskirts
Reviewed December 16, 2014

First the good stuff:
- people are friendly and helpful
- place is clean and environment is good
- free drinking water
- tea and fruits given, very hospitable people

Bad stuff:
- this place is NOT near Shuhe old city as advertised, it is a good 10-15 minutes walk to the EDGE of the Shuhe old city. On the way home at night, there are totally ZERO street lamps, be wary. To go to Lijiang old city, its a good 20 mins cab ride
- hotel will help to arrange for transport but everything on a much higher price. e.g. cab ride from Lijiang old town to their place was quoted 40yuan when a cab cost 20+ yuan (they claimed that taxi driver will not know where their place is), 250yuan for a booked car to snow mountain when others quote 200 or less, and airport transfer at 100 yuan taking old roads while I took the cab to city using meter for only 60 yuan (+20 yuan for tolls on new roads)
- room have NO heating facility (there a small heater which was practically useless) and heated blanket is useless too. Unless you can take cold, I suggest you find a place with heating facility.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jlem
Reviewed December 16, 2014

Small hotel within walking distance to Shuhe ancient town. Garden well landscaped with a pond, 2 friendly dogs and a fierce goose. Staff helpful and friendly. Linda speaks good English and no Bruce in sight. We had a family room for the 3 of us on the ground floor. Cookies and fruit plus ginger tea was served upon our arrival. The problem for us was the cold as there was no heater in the room and it was freezing. There was only a heater in the bathroom which was really too small and though the beds had electric blankets, the cold really got to us. Breakfast was an additional charge and had to be made known the day before. It was a mix of Chinese and Western with eggs cooked to your choice. The hotel is conveniently located with friendly service. However I would hesitate to return in cold weather.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank nellielim
Reviewed November 26, 2014

My 4-day experience staying at the Bruce Chalet was a restful, happy visit and I highly recommend this inn to anyone traveling through the Lijiang area. Most of all, I can't wait to go back myself! I add a few more thoughts to the positive reviews of my fellow guests: yes, Bruce, Bella, Julie and all are awesome; the garden is very well kept; breakfast is yummy and jovial. Bruce Chalet offers a lovely "temporary home," especially for solo travelers. Also, I was looking for a laid-back rest, with a slower pace, and not a lot of pressure to pre-plan excursions (although I could have, if I wanted to).
Bruce was available, if not in person then by cell phone, 24/7, ready to help out with directions, activity ideas, transportation, or other local questions - and especially to make my stay comfortable. And he was immediately responsive, both prior to and during my visit.
The area is very walkable, which is what I mostly did. I spent most of my time in Old Shuhe, but did venture to some of the excursions. It was fun to meet the other guests and join them on excursions and for meals. I was very happy :)
Thank you all so much for making my stay so enjoyable - I will be back soon! :):)

Room Tip: I requested the room with King-Size bed, balcony and view of the mountain. It was a breathtaking view, and I enjoyed several lovely naps in the sun on the balcony :) Bonus was the wood-spa tub.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Lauren K
Reviewed November 22, 2014

This lovely, homely little hotel is located about 10mins walk from Shuhe Old Town and 20mins car/bus ride to Lijiang Old Town. We stayed in the Snow Mountain Room which had wonderful views of the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain (see photos). While some of the usual amenities were not standard items in the room (compared to a regular hotel), the staff were more than willing to attend to any requests. Our room and bathroom were large and the bed had an electric blanket. However, the room only had a small heater which wasn't of much use as it only heated the spot right under it. Breakfast was a mix of Chinese buns, dumplings, soy bean milk, and western eggs / bacon / toast. Just let the staff know the day before what you might like to have. A mini-cab ride to Lijiang Old Town costs RMB30. Otherwise take bus no 5 for RMB1. We tried the bus ride which was smooth and easy enough. Would recommend this hotel if you prefer being away from the crowds and don't mind the extra travel needed to get to attractions.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed November 18, 2014

After a whole day of touring the old town, one can go back to this hotel where you will be greeted by smiles, fruits and chinese tea at the porch. You can have a quiet home cook meal or bbq if the weather permits and more than 5 persons. One does not have to stuff dirty clothes in your luggage but at a reasonable price you can wash them and string dry them. On a cold night electric blanket is quite an invite in your bed. The staffs were so nice that they would get up early to help you with your luggages no matter, how cold the weather is, on the day you check out. Linda is a great cook, Julie and the staffs were always there to make sure the travelers get back to the hotel safe and sound and whenever they need a hand. But don't take my word for it, go stay there and compare to 4-5 star hotel....yourself...highly recommended .

Room Tip: Any room is fine, the bathrooms are neat and tidy.... And safe.
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled with family