“Delicious food and ambience galore”
Review of Giaxa

Giaxa
Ranked #27 of 162 Restaurants in Hvar
Cuisines: Croatian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed September 24, 2017

We came here as it is just on the next corner to where we were staying, and as we had walked past on previous evenings it looked very romantic in the alleyway and the guests seemed to be enjoying their food selections.
We booked earlier in the day and were fortunate to get a table in the alleyway itself. As we like to eat early 7pm it wasn't busy so as it was date night for my husband and I we enjoyed the solitude.
I went on the waiters recommendation of the gregada and it was indeed delicious. Make sure you bring your appetite as the serving size is large. My husband had the steak which he also enjoyed although it didnt overwhelm him . To finish we shared the chocolate souffle and it was very rich and chocolatey, a great end to a beautiful night.
All of the waiting staff were friendly and considerate with just the right amount of attention given. Enjoy.

1  Thank Donna E

Reviewed September 20, 2017

I recently read an article where this restaurant was rated quite high for places to visit in Hvar. We looked at the menu and it looked appealing. We were greeted by very friendly staff. After reviewing the menu we ordered a scallops appetizer, the lamb in fig sauce and tenderloin with roasted potatoes. We were given a gratis vegetarian pie-like dish and gazpacho to begin with. The gazpacho was fine but the pie was a bit bland and dry. The scallop appetizer was disappointing. The scallops did not taste fresh and the sauce they were served in was less than impressive. The tenderloin was done to perfection but the roasted potatoes were a bit dry. The lamb also did not seem fresh and was quite tasteless. All in all we had high hopes but were a bit disappointed overall.

1  Thank mmv0703
Reviewed September 20, 2017 via mobile

We were on our last evening in Hvar town and wanted to go to an upmarket restaurant. We had not made a reservation and the woman at the front of house advised us that because of the impending bad weather, that evening, she did not have the space. Explained that it was our last evening and she was able to squeeze us in.
The service was very friendly and prompt.
I wanted to try the grilled fish and the waiter brought the actual fish for me to select for my meal. I was recommended the John Dori fish which is a particularly tasty white meat fish. It was grilled to perfection. The fish was delivered complete with head and tail which he kindly removed for me.
My wife had the vegetarian option.of the risotto who have also was tasty.
Good selection of wines and beer to accompany the meal. Recommended.

1  Thank Traveller0001
Reviewed September 20, 2017 via mobile

The Gregada my gf ordered was great but the steak I ordered medium but was actually cooked rare so that was a bit disappointing.

Waiter managed to get us a free desert and coffees to make up for this however. The chocolate soufflé was tasty.

Overall cost was ok - it's kinda on par with Hvar prices. Service was indifferent... I was going to order the Sea Bass but was totally put off after the waiter said it was from a farm and not the sea. Wouldn't have cared if he didn't say but found this a bit bizarre so ended up picking the steak :/. Maybe I'm being fussy but I've never experienced that anywhere else I've ever been to.

Menu is a bit small but it's still worth visiting if you're in Hvar as it's quite authentic local cuisine in a really lovely setting.

Reviewed September 19, 2017

Really good food, good portion sizes, nice setting. Staff is friendly, we really enjoyed our meal. Came in the mid afternoon, but seems like a place you want to make a reservation. We got fish cooked traditional style, which was really good. Also the Octopus salad was our favorite.