“Romantic dinner”

Caracol Azul
Ranked #6 of 585 Restaurants in Guayaquil
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed January 13, 2017 via mobile

Great experience! The food was delicious and well prepared. We tried the shrimp ceviche, fried octopus and baked sea bass.

I'd recommend this to anyone who isn't traveling on a budget, and is looking for a nice dinner with excellent service.

The owner even came over to chat with us after the meal, just a wonderful establishment.

Date of visit: January 2017
1  Thank Byron A

Reviewed January 1, 2017

The food was OK, but nothing special and seemed overpriced to me. Like most restaurants in Guayaquil the wine menu is sparce and overpriced. The ceviche was tepid and the main course so forgetable that I can´t remember what I had. Only one other table was occupied, seemingly by friends or family of the owner, and the maitre d´ hovered around like he was afraid of losing another customer.

Date of visit: December 2016
1  Thank Ken1846
Reviewed November 28, 2016

went for dinner. service sort of "slap happy" & definitely not smooth or professional. Out of swordfish, which is why I went. My sea bass was dried out. Ordered some fries-never arrived to eat with the fish! Very expensive & the slow (or non existent) service is painful. No A/C-a rolling cooler is either too hot or cold. Would never dine here again.

Reviewed November 21, 2016 via mobile

Some fellow friends an co-workers of mine decided to have a celebratory last dinner together before leaving Guayaquil and going our separate ways.

We chose Caracacol Azul or Blue Snail for those of you who are non-Spanish speakers. We all tried different dishes and shared tastes of them all.
I started off with an appetizer of small shrimps with guacamole. The guacamole was delicious with a little kick, and it was fun to dip the shrimps into it.

For entrees we enjoyed grilled jumbo shrimp or langostinos, and paella, and a chicken dish. Everything was delicious, beautifully presented and served hot.
I must also say that the service was great. We were well attended by two to three waiters/servers at any given time.
The wine flowed, as did the laughter and good cheer. Dessert featured flan, ice cream, and chocolate mousse.

I read reviews about this restaurant that take issue with it being to pricey for Ecuador. I say you get what you pay for.
I have no problem enjoying 1st world quality and service, whether it be in Ecuador, England, or the Upper
East Side of Manhattan.

If you are in Guayaquil for business or pleasure, this place is top notch.

1  Thank JonathanM110
Reviewed November 21, 2016

Honestly speaking, I don't get why this place is on a list of recommended restaurants, even less within the top 10! The place is old, smelly and poorly kept. Service is extremely slow and even though food is just OK, it is extremely overpriced!!!
Getting our check took forever and had to send it back twice due to extra items never ordered.
Clearly this restaurant is still living from the good (and already vanished) old days, being today a very expensive tourist trap!